$6,495.00 ???

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Dannymon

$6,495.00 ???

Post by Dannymon » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:27 pm

I guess only Michael Jackson, Paul McCartney and Bill Gates will be getting The Moog Guitar, is there a "Stage Edition" on the works?
Daniel Trejo
------------------------------------
Litlte Phatty V1, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104z, MF-105, Kenton Pro Solo.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:53 am

...or a gutter edition...lol. just through all the electronics in a squire bullet

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:32 am

:shock: I just had to spend $40 on new jeans from the mess I made in them after seeing the price!!! Doh!! Now I'm $40 further away from getting it!!

To be honest, even at half the price, $3250 (the price of a voyager approx.) it's hard to bite that bullet.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

StompboxMan

Post by StompboxMan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:29 am

If I were about to buy any other limited edition guitar equally expensive I think the Moog Guitar with VO Power would be a better value. :)
www.stompboxman.com

monads

Post by monads » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:46 am

How much for the custom Moog Guitar strings it comes with? Maybe everyone can afford these....

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:05 pm

If I were about to buy any other limited edition guitar equally expensive I think the Moog Guitar with VO Power would be a better value.

That depends. Usually limited editions are supposed to be the collectible guitars that increase in value. Sometimes it works, but mostly not.

I do agree from a playing standpoint that you do get more "stuff" for the money...

In this case it seems to be the opposite to normal marketing. They are targeting person's with money, or professional players to see if there is an interest for something like this. They haven't targeted us, or have just expected us to start saving, which I have BTW.

Or maybe this technology is really this sensitive to work as remarkably well as they demonstrate it to.

Any new product comes out at big $$, then slowly comes down as enough money is made to justify a re-design.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

bunnyman

Post by bunnyman » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:04 pm

Or just get a Fernandes with the Sustainer pickup (just like Robert Fripp uses) for 900 bucks... Is there a five thousand dollar difference?

-andrew bunny

GetBehindTheMule

Post by GetBehindTheMule » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:40 pm

I'm completely shocked at how expensive that is. I was definately expecting over 1,000 dollars but not over 6,000. What a shame.

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:28 am

Moog gear isn't for the riff-raff
It's marketed for people willing to pay 2595$ for a MIDI-less, memory-less monophonic synth or a 729$ delay unit
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

Dannymon

Post by Dannymon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:50 am

Moog gear isn't for the riff-raff
It's marketed for people willing to pay 2595$ for a MIDI-less, memory-less monophonic synth or a 729$ delay unit

Well, I've spent over $3,000.00 on Moog gear, including 5 Moogerfooger pedals and the LP Stage Edition, but the price for the guitar is still ridiculous, I think a fair price would have been around $2,000.00.

If you think about it, Gibson offer very fine Les Paul Guitars starting from $699.99 and they also offer some Les Paul Models that cost over $5,000.00. but most of the hardware is essencially the same, the only thing that changes is the craftmanship , decoration and the paint applied to the guitar, but the Moog guitar has natural finish which in theory should cheaper than a painted guitar.

I do believe that the Moog guitar is highly overpriced and I am sure that they could offer a much cheaper version starting from $1,500.00, with less expensive wood and not bearing any special edition name (Price bumper).

If I had $6,000.00 to spend on a Guitar I would buy a high end Gibson Les Paul.

My 2 cents
Daniel Trejo
------------------------------------
Litlte Phatty V1, MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104z, MF-105, Kenton Pro Solo.

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:18 am

Some guitars climb up to astronomical prices all right, and some are to my opinion shamelessly overpriced
My point is, Moog Music wouldn't market a 1000$ guitar, would they?
Now maybe they would, surprise me, Moog;)

I guess in the end my point is, why even bother discussing it?
WHO here can afford a 6495$ guitar?
I know I don't and I don't have the cash flow either to put 729$ on a simple delay pedal just because it's Moog

I'm just a regular musician who thinks the LP is pricey for a monophonic synth in 2008, but still affordable and worth every cent
But when it comes to the rest of Moog products, I can only observe that I'm way out of their marketing target
I have no complain about that, btw, if people can pay that much on a sustain guitar, good for them

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:07 pm

While 6500.00 is a TON of money, (and out of most of our price range for a guitar) - I don't think it is over priced for what it is.

I have played the guitar though, so I've felt the magic.. And I really mean MAGIC !

ALSO, this technology has never been done quite this way and to boot - it is COMPLETELY ANALOG !!!!!

Even Keith Richards might complain about the price and expect to get one for free just cuz' he is who he is (like Mic Jagger did when he had to pay 10,000.00 + for his Moog Modular in the 60's). I believe the quote was
"Whoa, thats alot dough" (Thanks Analog Days)

But didn't the Moog synth change the face of music anyway? Not that this guitar will have the exact same effect, but it WILL allow guitarist to do things that weren't possible before. Thats what Moog stands for.

A kit for any axe would be great, but due to the complexity of the analog circuits and their layout, it wouldn't be like an easy Voyager field upgrade is. I think you would have to be an experienced EE and guitar builder (or Paul Vo) to do it...

This is a VERY VERY VERY complex design and does some of the coolest shtuff any guitar has ever done.

I can't afford one, but that doesn't mean I'd shoot down Moog for marketing it at that price. And using a crappy body, like a Squire Strat, would defeat the purpose of having an awesome guitar. It wouldn't even bring the price down that much.

The circuits are what make it so pricey, not the body.. Yeah, it is a pricey build otherwise - BUT you wouldn't put a Porche engine in a Pinto !

- Nick
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:11 pm

I was merely stating that in the end it's a bit pointless to argue about the price since we're out of their marketing target anyway
I'm not competent in evaluating whether or not the price is relevant to the quality

Tibbon

Post by Tibbon » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:30 pm

I'd say they built this to "features" not to "cost". Zion guitars aren't cheap either and if you've ever talked to them about having a custom one done... moreso.

Factor in that the American Dollar sucks too right now. Energy prices are up. A few years ago it might have been $4500 or 5000. Keep in mind that it is street'ing for almost $500 less. Also Real Estate and living costs in Ashville are really up. It's no longer a cheap place in the hills to live.

And to a large degree, you aren't their market. They aren't making this guitar so every kid with a Line 6 amp or whatever can have it. I'd say they made a limited number, and they knew that some top-end session players and professional musicians would buy them.

Keep in mind that the original Moog Modulars cost more than your house likely did in the 60's.

Whoever has it in their minds that Moog is a consumer-level company and prices such is out of their minds.
Signature #144

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:06 pm

Tibbon wrote:Also Real Estate and living costs in Ashville are really up. It's no longer a cheap place in the hills to live.
Brotha, you ain't kiddin!! :cry: