Custom Build: Looking for pictures of Wilkinson install

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
bt2513

Custom Build: Looking for pictures of Wilkinson install

Post by bt2513 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:56 pm

Hi All,

Looking to see if someone would be so kind as to either provide or point me to pictures of the Wilkinson bridge install, specifically, from the control cavity. The springs do not install as conventional tremolos do and am looking to replicate what Moog did.

Thanks in advance,
BT

bt2513

Re: Custom Build: Looking for pictures of Wilkinson install

Post by bt2513 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:41 pm

I want to clarify as there are no replies yet. I'm not looking to build a replica of a Moog guitar - I am building an actual Moog guitar from what appears to be an unfinished Moog neck and body (ostensibly, built by Zion guitars). I won the parts in an online auction and have no other ideas as to how they came to be but they appear to be genuine though the seller indicated they originally may have been sold by someone local to Zion. The parts, unfortunately, were probably never up to par to be completed as there are some fairly obvious flaws in the wood and they are far from being finished. The flaws are substantial enough that this would never be overcome for a $3k+ guitar.

I simply want to finish the guitar for myself and have a playable instrument. One tricky part, besides having to build custom pickups for this thing, is that there is not enough space in front of the bridge in the cavity to accommodate the trem springs. I know that Moog overcame this using a different method of mounting and what appears to be rubber grommets but would like to know more how they did that since this guitar already has the atypical cavity route that would prevent a traditional Wilkinson install.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Croyote

Re: Custom Build: Looking for pictures of Wilkinson install

Post by Croyote » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:32 am

Call Moog or email and get in touch with Steve Maass.

He has info on the install and can provide pics and possibly get you in touch with an experience luthier.

Another possibility is to contact Wes Lambe. He might be glad to help. http://www.wlguitars.com