String issues...

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
mugwump

String issues...

Post by mugwump » Wed May 06, 2015 12:25 pm

Hi, all...

Just found out the hard way that Dean Markley Blue Steels will NOT work on the Moog guitar. After changing over to them, I discovered massive piles of noise under my signal in articulated and mute modes. Not full power, though. Just talked to Jim at Moog (who's doing some other work on the instrument for me), and found the strings to be causing the issue.

Just wanted to warn people away from Blue Steels, or any other strings that don't have some sort of fabric/threaded extra windings above the ball end. Jim says that, without that, the electronics cannot function properly. He also says that there won't be any issues with still getting the Moog strings with the guitars being discontinued.

If anyone knows of working alternatives for strings (that don't require shrinkwrap or extra prep work to use!), please lemme know!

Jeff

Croyote

Re: String issues...

Post by Croyote » Wed May 06, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi Jeff.

Use Paul Vo's recommended Aurora Gold Electric Strings. They have an electro-static coating that keeps that kinda thing from happening. Plus they sound great anyway.

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Fri May 08, 2015 3:46 pm

Thanks, man. I will look those up. Appreciate that!

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Mon May 18, 2015 4:26 pm

Ordered a set of their clearcoated ones, since I didn't think I would like any of the colors. Hopefully, the clear is the same enamel coating that they use on all the others. Didn't see much about their string formula on their site, so I'm just going by what I've read here. Hope they are great!

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Tue May 19, 2015 2:03 am

mugwump wrote:Ordered a set of their clearcoated ones, since I didn't think I would like any of the colors. Hopefully, the clear is the same enamel coating that they use on all the others. Didn't see much about their string formula on their site, so I'm just going by what I've read here. Hope they are great!
Now is the time to order as they have the "Buy One Get One" promotion.

The Clear-coated ones are fine, but if you are a fingerpicker like me you may find that the clear coating make the surface feel a little uneven as it gets worn down. I actually use a combo of finger and nail, and when the surface gets like that it can chink up my nails so I don't use the clear anymore.

I presently have the green set on, and they are fine, but after a while the surface will get worn down too.

Supposedly, the gold strings go through a chemical process that makes the coating slightly more durable. I use them on my Vo-96, but only for the basses as any stainless stell treble strings will work. However, I do notice the bass strings retain their coating slightly longer.

I'm going to order a few custom sets before this Buy One Get One Free offer expires, if I don't sell my PVCE before then.

You might find like I did that having strings that are color which stands out from the fingerboard and frets helps to orient you in case you are going on an extended improvisation.