Midi Upgrade question

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
GreyFortress

Midi Upgrade question

Post by GreyFortress » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:58 am

Hi All EM-1 MIDI users,

Just got a Moog Guitar and have taken it to Moog for the Midi Upgrade. There is some confusion on one of the issues. Does that upgrade include a mixed ouput in addition to the signal for each individual string. Roland GK pickups have a switch between the hexaphonic pickups for each individual string (synth) and the normal pickups (guitar), or you can choose both (mix). Did the Moog midi upgrade include that kind of functionality? I know there is an analog out from the floor pedal, but I assumed the upgrade would include tapping the analog out inside the guitar for the mixed signal. Did you have any problems after the midi upgrade? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance

cliffman

Re: Midi Upgrade question

Post by cliffman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:43 am

No, the MIDI addition does not give you the mag pickup output. Apparently there is no way to tap into the magnetic pickups output, perhaps because the audio is going to the footpedal.
Instead, you get a mix of the piezo signal on that wire. So for example on the VG-99, when you fade in the guitar's pickup, you get piezo signal.

With mine, I've noticed there is some ground hum, if you don't have the 13-pin plugged in. Other than that, no problems.

GreyFortress

Post by GreyFortress » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:00 pm

Thanks, cliffman, for your response. Thats what I assumed and found out yesterday when I picked up my guitar from Moog. Long story as to why I was confused about that. Now to search the forum for information on flatwounds that work. I've tried some that cause interference when VO power is turned up high while in Controlled Sustain or Mute mode... has to do with the muting mechanism and different string metallurgy I guess.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:26 pm

Try La Bella, or the Black Nylon tape strings or any string with a wound filament of fabric on the ball end . . . the problem may not also be the metallurgy, but that the metal string contacting the body in side the bridge and carry a magnetic charge across the string when the power is turned up.

The best gauge is 26-36-46 for basses as the bridge was designed by Gotoh/Graphtechto work optimally with that gauge. Larger strings will work, but perfect intonation may not be possible w/o a luthier's interference.

I prefer Aurora 26-36-46. They are wound but the metallurgy is perfect, actually better than Moog's strings (according to Paul Vo). LaBella now makes a tape wound bass string in 26-36-46, but you might lose some frequency response.

GreyFortress

Post by GreyFortress » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks for the string info, Croyote, sorry I didnt see this post earlier. I tried ghs Stainless Steel Precision Flatwound and they do not cause interference. Of course, the tone is much more subdued as expected. I have another issue but it deserves a new thread methinks.
Cheers