Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

My first hour with my E1

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!

My first hour with my E1

Postby MateoDelElayoh » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:58 pm

I opened my E1 after a month of sitting around unboxed:

First impressions from just an hour or so:

The positives:

- The condition was perfect, despite it being an "opened" box deal from moog. #140 from 2010.
- It's a really well made guitar, just in terms of the neck feel, and handsome as well.
- The intonation seems fine and tremolo arm seemed to work well out of the box
- The harmonic blend sweep, when combined with max sustain, is fairly mindblowing
- The technology behind vo power, and the selective vs all option, is truly amazing
- This thing can make some seriously unique sounds, which in my line of work is pure gold.
- I like owning one of a thousand or so of these, especially in working shape.

The mehs:

- The strings don't seem to hold their tuning terribly well, but they're very light and somewhat new.
- Did I mention the light gauges? Am I 16 again, with Steve Stevens playing solos on the radio?
- I'm really underwhelmed with the stock petal effects, especially considering it could just be a volume pedal (useful) harmonic blend switch, instead of making that an onboard knob. I really don't need a meh low pass filter effect, or three of them.

Of course, the few complaints I have could be solved with a better set-up and/or some familiarity with the pedals/filters, which I've spent all of fifteen minutes playing with.
MateoDelElayoh

Re: My first hour with my E1

Postby Croyote » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:36 am

Keep playing with it.

You will find the shades in between quite useful with some tests.

I think that the Wilkinson is stable, generally, but it may be susceptible to shifts in humidity or temperature which are not experienced in Asheville. I'm not certain about this, but I do know that even my Vo will wander in tuning from one day to next if there has been a rainstorm or the humidity has been quite high . . . however I've noticed this with a good number of other vibratos/tremolos as well.

Did you buy this guitar from Moog Music recently? I was under the impression that they were all gone. I need a backup!
Croyote

Postby MateoDelElayoh » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Yup, bought it direct. They are about all gone AFAIK.

I thought about it a bit, the stock 2 low pass things make more sense with gain, and probably really come alive with a MuRF or the such.

I'm having fun - I did my Hendrix "Banner" pass yesterday, I think it's as hard to resist as "Stairway to Heaven" on a Gibson 12 +6!
MateoDelElayoh

Postby MateoDelElayoh » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:38 pm

A month later, finally got a dozen hours with this thing.

I rigged up a decent setup for it, including two channels both using a stereo volume pedal and a nice new stereo demeter DI box.

It's fabulous, though the B string really holds tuning pretty poorly, so, my two initial negatives are still there.

That issue could possibly go away if I'm motivated enough just to put a heavier set on.

I can't imagine not using this on any project, and I'm much less negative on the onboard effects, especially the harmonic balance pedal routine, it makes a great subtle wet channel on any recording alongside the standard 1/4".
MateoDelElayoh

Return to The Moog Guitar Forum