Fretless bass anyone? With the "mute" option

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Mats Eriksson

Fretless bass anyone? With the "mute" option

Post by Mats Eriksson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Hi all!
Searched the forum for this, but it seems no one have wished, or came up with the idea so far.

What about making a fretless bass WITH the sustaining properties?

Why on earth should there be a fretless bass, I hear you ask? Well read on.

When trying the guitar out, I became - actually - more intrigued by the reverse sustaining effect, i e shortening and muting the strings natural sustain, than the other way around, because it sounded like a banjo. I became more "inspired" to play and then I thought, that "Hey, this would be THE PERFECT upright bass impersonator should it be incorporated on an electric fretless bass". Because when you play high up on any upright the strings are too taut and makes almost nil sustain, and when going down again to the first "frets" or areas around the nut, and open strings, they sound with full sustain again. This could easily be done with a pitch sensing or area sensing device. But provided that you have high end pickups (like Q-tuners or similar) and flatwound strings, PLUS - of course - fretless you could go a very long way imitating a upright, leaving all previous "sound-like-an-upright" methods behind in the dust.

Previously, you had to have foam at the bass bridges to damp the strings (in the 50s and 60s) and you had silk wound inside the strings to dampen the strings too. If you just had flatwound, you could - at your choice - play "regular"electric fretless and when the "negative sustain" mor mute kicks in you can play upright lines on it, without having to think or adapt your playing styles. Of course, some EQing afterwards, and acoustic chamber simulator of the upright tops acoustic resonance can be made with after effects and outboard gear. But the one thing that gives away any upright in the first place is the "dampened" or "muted" notes. As this "muting" of the Moog Guitar seems to be electro-mechanic in reversing the phase of the magnetism in one way or another it would be a no-no in technical terms because it's already there. In doesn't even have to be polyphonic since very few chords are played on upright all of the time.

What do you guys think?

Alien8

Re: Fretless bass anyone? With the "mute" option

Post by Alien8 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:47 am

Im in! I'm hoping that the LEV system will do this... But I would buy the bass if they made it!!
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Mats Eriksson

Post by Mats Eriksson » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:11 am

I would buy that bass too, in a heartbeat.

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:32 pm

I think the increased mass of the bass strings might present a challenge.

Mats Eriksson

Post by Mats Eriksson » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:55 pm

Yes, the increased mass would sure be a challenge. But it was a challenge in the first place too, to produce infite sustain polyphonically. They don't even need to think about the polyphony this time around. Challenges are always things you shoudl aim for and overcome in the end. That's what's keep you ahead of the pack...

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:18 pm

Pretty sure that Vo has the patent and this is why Moog discontinued the guitar when they broke off their alliance. Contact Paul through VoInventions.com to find out if he can develop this technology for the bass.

Mats Eriksson

Post by Mats Eriksson » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:14 am

Ok thank you. Didn't know that the alliance had ended. I'm out of here. Thanks a lot for important info.