Can't wait to learn more

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
ZenHead

Can't wait to learn more

Post by ZenHead » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:49 pm

I'm so excited to learn more about the LEV-96. One quick question; how does this work on guitars with different bridge distances? Another, is there a similar pedal system as the Moog Guitar? I guess I need to be patient. But speculation can be fun.

Voltor07

Re: Can't wait to learn more

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:57 pm

I want to see it on a 12 string! :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 am

I wonder if it can be used to play half-full glasses of water at their harmonic frequencies. Bass would be fun too!

This seems to have more uses than isolating a system to a specific instrument - one could mount it inside a piano, on a harp, a cable bridge, or the neighbors fence. At least it would be fun to try!!

(Note that my comments should not be misconstrued as a negative statements, I am simply creatively inspired by such a device!)
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:13 pm

Alien8 wrote: This seems to have more uses than isolating a system to a specific instrument - one could mount it inside a piano, on a harp, a cable bridge, or the neighbors fence. At least it would be fun to try!!
I agree! Uunfortunately, Moog seems to be trying to aim their latest products to guitarists, rather than experimental instrumentalists.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:51 pm

They have been doing this for a long time, which is a brilliant marketing strategy because guitarists outnumber analog synth purists by about a billion to one. Then guess what happens when a guitarist starts messing with moogerfoogers?

Filtatron serves to get the name out there, and then eventually those folks end up buying their more expensive products. It is a slow and subtle seduction.

In the meantime though, we synth lovers want more and have to wait.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:26 am

Voltor07 wrote:
Alien8 wrote: This seems to have more uses than isolating a system to a specific instrument - one could mount it inside a piano, on a harp, a cable bridge, or the neighbors fence. At least it would be fun to try!!
I agree! Uunfortunately, Moog seems to be trying to aim their latest products to guitarists, rather than experimental instrumentalists.
Mass market=financial success. Moog is targeting the demographic that will bring them the largest profit. EricK nailed it /\ /\ /\
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

synthaxe

Post by synthaxe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Voltor07 wrote:

Although having a wider selection of products can generate more profit, I agree with you Voltor. When I look to Moog I look for synthesizer based products. Moog has some really intelligent engineers working for them, and I'm glad they're able to bring a lot of their ideas to life, but It would be nice for them to get another full-fledged synthesizer project going (this comming from a guitar player.)
Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, MF-105, MF-103, MF-102, MF-101, Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, EVH 5150III 50 Watt, EVM12L Speakers, ESP Eclipse-II FR, USA Charvel So-Cal, Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster, Alesis MidiVerb 4, and tons of Electro Harmonix.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 am

Exactly! Guitarists have their Alembics and Zemaitis's, Zemaitisi? Zemaitises? Whatever. When I think top-quality guitars, I think Zemaitis and Alembic. When I think high quality synths, I think Moog, ARP, and Oberheim. I can't help but think Moog is trying to take over the guitar market, and it truly is troublesome to me as a synthesist.

synthaxe

Post by synthaxe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:29 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Exactly! Guitarists have their Alembics and Zemaitis's, Zemaitisi? Zemaitises? Whatever. When I think top-quality guitars, I think Zemaitis and Alembic. When I think high quality synths, I think Moog, ARP, and Oberheim. I can't help but think Moog is trying to take over the guitar market, and it truly is troublesome to me as a synthesist.
Well Voltor, at least Moog is doing it with some seriously high quality technology/ideas. Before I say this I want to make clear that I'm a guitar player first and foremost (above all else:) Honestly, most guitar players are ignorant, and scarred in that we're not very open to "new" concepts interfering with our 60 year old basic designs. In general, guitarists feel that the older technology is "better." It will be interesting to see how well this LEV-96 project does. Usually, stuff like this (no matter how incredible or beneficial it may be) will scare the everyday guitar player away. In the meantime, as stated above, I guess we'll just wait for the next Moog synth.

PS - I'd give my left anything for an Alembic.
Little Phatty Stage II, Minitaur, MF-105, MF-103, MF-102, MF-101, Mesa/Boogie Mark IV, EVH 5150III 50 Watt, EVM12L Speakers, ESP Eclipse-II FR, USA Charvel So-Cal, Squier Vintage Modified Surf Stratocaster, Alesis MidiVerb 4, and tons of Electro Harmonix.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:38 pm

I'm glad some people put energy in serious developments.

I'm glad those people are Mooguys.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:29 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:I'm glad some people put energy in serious developments.

I'm glad those people are Mooguys.
I just hope Moog doesn't scare the guitarist market with something that they can't sell to anyone, like when ARP built the Avatar. :roll:

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:34 pm

Here are some demos. The article is in french, but skip to the vids.

On Audiofanzine.

EDIT: I'm having hard time to see the vids in one time. Try the yout directly if it's all the same for you, way better.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:53 pm

Don't worry, non-guitarists! The Moog Guitar didn't kill Moog like some of you predicted, nor did the Moog Lap Steel. Moog is still alive and well, and making synths for you, even if you find something to complain about in every new synth, including the Sub Phatty.

Looks like the LEV-96 was renamed the Vo-96. Latest demo video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psqPViFKkjg

According to Paul Vo, while it has onboard DSP, it generates the sound through the acoustic guitar itself. The above video shows the guitar playing those Vo 96 sounds without being plugged into anything - no amp, no pickup - just a mic. There is a link in the Youtube description to Vo's new website but it appears to be down at the moment.

synthaxe

Post by synthaxe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:07 pm

Wow, thanks for that video GovernorSilver. That really puts the LEV-96 project in a different light for me. I'm diggin it!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 am

Call hype-victim but I find this naming really exciting: acoustic synthesis.