New PVCE, Strings, Service Department

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
nickbtx

New PVCE, Strings, Service Department

Post by nickbtx » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:47 pm

I’ve read a couple of threads here about strings for the Moog guitar and thought others might benefit from my experience. Moog recommends that you use Moog strings or in a pinch there are a couple of other strings sets you can get by with. So, is this just marketing hype to persuade us to buy Moog strings? Well, recently I purchased a new Moog guitar from an online store and when I received the guitar I noticed a sputtering noise when in controlled sustain or mute mode. It was like a modulated noise and I was convinced it was energy from the Vo power (mute) making it’s way into the audio path. I returned the guitar to Moog and they found the cause of the noise to be non-Moog strings (dealer installed). The tech told me that not only is the metallurgy different, but the ends of the strings are wrapped with cloth to isolate the strings from the bridge. I got the guitar back and sure enough, it’s extremely quiet now with no sputtering and no hiss. In fact with the Vo power turned down and filter off the guitar sounds almost sterile. Of course, why buy a Moog guitar if you’re going to turn the Vo power down and filter off? :D

ps. I sure was impressed with the service these guys gave me. Thank you Moog Service Department!