Strings for the Moog

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
thebrushwithin

Strings for the Moog

Post by thebrushwithin » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Great alternative strings for the Moog are D'Addario XL Pro Steels. I have always gravitated to this brand, and experimented with them on my Moog. Normally, I prefer regular light strings(10 - 46), and was very unhappy with the Moog Light top - heavy bottom strings. In my opinion, our dear friends at Moog made a questionable choice with this configuration, because the heavy bottoms caused TOO much low end emphasis, made the action tough to get used to, etc. Since the sustain needs NO help with heavy gauge on the bottom, I decided to try an experiment, when i had my guitar tech do a setup for me. Unfortunately, all he had on hand, at the time, were these D'Addario XL Pro Steels Super Light (9 - 42), which normally I consider too light, but I wanted to try it, and to my surprise, they sustain every bit as well as the Moog strings, and are far more balanced!!! However, it did reveal a common complaint I have heard in this forum about adjusting the action, and string buzz. My tech told me that the rule of thumb is if there is buzz above the 5th fret, after everything is set up properly, then there is a problem with the truss rod. Well, the bad news is that this is the case, but the good news is that, for whatever reason, it doesn't affect my midi tracking, and the action is SOOOO much better!!! Saving hard earned bucks is also quite an advantage, when you play as much as I do!!! So, I highly recommend these strings ( any preferred gauge). Hope this is useful info for my Moog brothers and sisters out there. :D

mhuxtable

Re: Strings for the Moog

Post by mhuxtable » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:31 am

thanks for the review. that's good to know.

i prefer 11s with a wound 3rd on my guitars, and Moog strings don't come with a wound 3rd...very frustrating.

i had buzzing as well on my guitar...i just had he action set a touch higher...but yeah my tech said if i want to get rid of it, i'd need to get fret work done....crappy considering the price of the guitar.

dehlchris

Post by dehlchris » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:52 am

I'm using D'Addario 9-42 and this is the best choice for me. Though 10-46 are considered to be more "classic" variant. But again, ou may try both and then decide which one is better for you.
Get Mobile phone signal Booster in USA shop.
Huge Benefits from a Mobile phone signal repeater

SonicBling

Post by SonicBling » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:49 pm

I switched back to Elixier (nanoweb) and do not notice any difference in the sustain, I never turn vo power all the way up any way because i don't like the surge of volume that it creates, moog strings are very odd the way they are guaged

Moog dude

Post by Moog dude » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:24 am

Hello...

I just put a set of Rotosound Nexus 10's on and these things are great! I use Rotosound on everything I own... They have fixed the problem I was having with my Piezo blend! They sustain great and the harmonics are nice too! Also they're black coated (E,A andD) and look mean on my black E1-M!

Moog recommend GHS Infinity Steel but I couldn't find any of these or the Pro Steels, so I tried these and they're far better balanced than the Moog strings IMO...

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:51 pm

I just tried the new Ernie Ball 'Cobalt' strings, which are 'a combination of iron and cobalt' - they work well. Another one to add to the list...