Price between E1 and Lap Steel

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
MarbledMoog

Price between E1 and Lap Steel

Post by MarbledMoog » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:58 pm

How come the Moog guitar E1 costs less than the Lap Steel? It seems like the work to craft a fretted instrument would be more than a steel guitar since the steel guitars are basically just planks where as regular guitars have to be fretted and it seems more wood working has to be done. Is the lap steel so expensive since right now its almost like its in its Paul Vo edition stage? It seems to have a pretty elaborate finish.

I'm just checking out my options for a Moog guitar and being a slide player the lap steel seems interesting, but I could get more out of the Moog guitar being able to play lead and chords on it, and I play bottleneck slide rather than lap/pedal steel which has a different approach.
MF-101, MF-102, CP-251

mikemilton

Re: Price between E1 and Lap Steel

Post by mikemilton » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:43 am

Well, each is hand made and the workmanship is at a very high standard. They are made by Wes Lambe ( http://www.wlguitars.com/ )

Here is a pic of mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/parquin/5592845694

I have a few lap steels / resos and the Moog certainly brings something unique to the party. I'm *very* pleased with it and typically play in GBDGBD, DADF#AD or a variation of C6 (tuned down 5 semitones)

That said, should probably buy to match what you do unless you specifically want to venture into steel in which case, it might make sense to buy a cheap SX or (something like an Epiphone/Dobro square neck) to see if you want to make a bigger plunge. If it isn't for you the loss is only a couple of hundred minus whatever you can get for the instrument.

I will say that steel is sufficiently different from slide to be a whole other experience with its own set of techniques and rewards. With the Moog in particular, one needs to be proficient at pick or palm blocking

m
Cheers, Mike
Moog Lap Steel, Clarivox Centenial, Voyage Electric Blue, Varions Foogers
Eigenharp Alpha, WX7/5, Clavinova
Guitars: Harmos, Mohan Veena, National Hollowneck