Anyone try a GR-55?

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
cliffman

Anyone try a GR-55?

Post by cliffman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:11 pm

I checked out the Roland GR-55 this week, and found out it will not work with the E1.
- First symptom - the tuner section just goes crazy when you plug the E1 in. Lights
up with what appear to be random pitches.

Second, the GR-55 doesn't track the guitar at all. Just a total freakout when attempting
to play, some strings don't even sound. I also played a Godin, so I know the GR-55 is not broken.

Anyone else tested a GR-55? Is this just me? Does the VG-99 work with the E1? Is there some
magic setup you have to do?

It appeared the E1 was creating some kind of interference that was messing up the GR-55.
I have not had this experience with the Axon units.

badsound

Re: Anyone try a GR-55?

Post by badsound » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:54 am

I got the Gr-55....
My studio is all analog synthpower,plus samples. the actual GR synth sounds are thin and crappy in comparison.
That said, the way the unit tracks from the moog is all screwy at first. what I did was turn all the strings' sensitivity
to 0, and it tracks ok-.
I find that if I adapt my picking technique to the GR, it's really accurate and fun. It tracks bends really well- I really like the Tenor Sax(cheesey but very expressive-) and the Pads-
BUT........
When I Midi it thru to my Voyager, or Prophet 08, or Tetra- It's a completely different game- I haven't been able to get them to
track bends without stepping.
ANOTHER HUGE ISSUE that Roland seems to be not discussing is the fact that you cannot record your GR-55 performance into your
favorite sequencer, and have it play back the data TO THE GR........
SURE- it will play the data back to anything ELSE- just not the GR...... hence- the GR-55 is a totally worthless recording tool ( unless I can figure out how to get it tracking my external synths correctly)------ bur-really fun to just PLAY :)
I hope this has helped !
David
moog voyager rack-Moog Opus 3- 2 Moog delays- midi murf-eventide timefactor delay- EH 2880 looper- Mackie onyx 1640i- filter queens-casio vltones-Moog Guitar-Prophet 08-Jack Deville Dark Echo pedal---MPC5000--akai Z4--Yamaha tx16w--spx90-rev 7 --protools9

cliffman

Re: Anyone try a GR-55?

Post by cliffman » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:32 am

I ended up getting a used VG-99. Tons better. A world of difference, definitely worth the extra cost.