How was the action on your Moog Guitar when you got it?

The Moog Guitar is here. The revolution starts now!
Gladmarr

How was the action on your Moog Guitar when you got it?

Post by Gladmarr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:48 pm

I recently got an E-1 and I'm not too happy with the action/playability. The truss rod was way too tight when I got it, and now the action is still really low. It has buzzing and dead spots all over the neck. Has anyone else had any issues?

jethro

Re: How was the action on your Moog Guitar when you got it?

Post by jethro » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Mine seems to be too high and the saddles are almost at the bottom . I thought maybe it had to do with the string vibration.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:35 pm

I played 3 different models at the last sweetwater gearfest one from the moog booth which was an e-1, another e-1 and a vo signature, both where out on the sales floor and athe action felt pretty comfortable on all of them. Did you order from moog or another store? Delivered or picked up?
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:20 pm

Mine needed a quick truss rod tweak when delivered. Action is good otherwise.
Ordered from Moog via Centaur Guitar.

evol2013love

Post by evol2013love » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:51 pm

in general, buying a stringed instrument online will get you a stringed instrument that needs to be adjusted by an expert. That's pretty much just par.

love

zymphony

Post by zymphony » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:59 pm

Got my E1 yesterday and the extreme buzzing, all strings, made it unplayable. The Moog User's Guide: "Your Moog Guitar has been set up at our facility by an experienced luthier... We strongly suggest that you play your Moog Guitar for a while with no alterations." That's called adding insult to injury. I loosened the truss rod a little and if I am careful the buzzing is mostly gone, but it still needs a setup. I am concerned that there is anyone here, even in Manhattan, who knows how to set up a Moog.

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:45 am

Well, the action part of the unit is just a plain old guitar. Any good repairman
should be able to adjust the neck for you. And there is documentation on the pickup
positioning as well.

stereordinary

Post by stereordinary » Fri May 06, 2011 5:17 pm

The truss rod needed a tweak on my brother's E1 when we got it. I took care of it, and it played fine after that. It was just a little too tight.

pfedor

Post by pfedor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:32 am

OK. Here we go. I bought direct from the factory. Can park a Frizby under the strings. Bridge is bottomed out so adjustment is a major operation. I'm leary about sending it back for re-set if this is the best they can build new. I will admit it's "B" stock, but that only applies to the finish, so I'm told. The rest of the story.
The MIDI is double noteing, not ghosting. I own 2 MIDI rigs, equiped with GK-3's, that I buiIt and setup. Never double noted. So I'm no nubee. I called support and they never heard of a Yamaha G50 converter. DUH!!! I was told the only thing he was sure of, was the Axion was used during developement. What a cluster at this point. That's all I got that's printable. :x :(

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Sorry to hear that. I understand the G50 was Yamaha's unfortunately brief license of the Axon tech, so it should work. G50 was only a product for a short time >10 years ago, so I wouldn't be too upset at Moog for not knowing about it. I found the Moog was giving a bit more output than other pickups, turning the sensitivity way down may help.

pfedor

Post by pfedor » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:44 pm

Well, I was never told the G50 was problematic. As far as it being old, MOOG has been around longer then the G50. If they had done their market research, they would have known there are still a lot of G50's out there. Oh well! This gets me nowhere. Thanks for the interest. Look for the secret switch.

cliffman

Post by cliffman » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:53 pm

I have no reason to believe the G50 would not work - as I said, it is a license of the Axon, and the Axon works great. (at least for me)
So I do not understand your statement about the G50 being 'problematic' - any statements made about the Axon should also be true for the G50.

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:38 pm

The Moog Guitar derives note info to the 13 pin output from under saddle piezos, so it won't just plug and play into a system setup for the magnetic-based GK systems. You need major adjustments to track the piezos properly. You will get it to work.

Gladmarr

Post by Gladmarr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:43 am

I finally took my E-1 in for a proper setup by someone more knowledgeable than myself. After literally leaving the E-1 in the closet for months, I'm happy to say its a lot happier and nicer to play. I'm gonna try to make some real use of this puppy from now on......

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:27 am

dr_floyd wrote:The Moog Guitar derives note info to the 13 pin output from under saddle piezos, so it won't just plug and play into a system setup for the magnetic-based GK systems. You need major adjustments to track the piezos properly. You will get it to work.
Thread zombie - if it's using RMC pickups and 13 pin you need to change the processor settings or change the processor. I play a Godin, and it was always... a little problematic with an older Roland GR-20. Boss' GP-10 thing came out, dirt cheap, so I grabbed one and discover a new page of settings - scale, and pickup type. This is common to the COSM Modelling units (the VGs), but unlike the VGs, the GP-10 also outputs MIDI. Set up for the RMC in the Godin, the performance is outstanding; the GR-300 model tracks amazingly well (nothing tracks like a real GR-300 'cause it ain't tracking, it's just reacting) and it handles fast picking and copes with harmonics well.

So if the Moog is carrying a 13-pin RMC Piezo-type pickup, get a GP-10 or later VG depending on whether you want MIDI, or just guitar synth/tracking COSM effects.
Some things hurt more than cars & girls
Sound: Voyager PE, VX-351, CP-251; AIRA, MiniNova, Karma, Reason, Maschine, OP-1
Control: Zaquencer, Reason, Panorama P4