Moog Slim Phatty

Everything Phatty.

dubphaser

Re: Moog Slim Phatty

Post by dubphaser » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Yeah - I posted that over @ Muff's. Any official info yet? CV I/O ??? This look really nice!!! :D
Jose Franco
http://josefranco.org
@jose_franco_
Voyager Electric Blue #1060

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Yeah that with a DSI Prophet08PE Module would be pretty sweet.

They cropped it way too small, they could have at least included the description and the PRICE.

Only 3 easy payments of $XXXXXXXXXXXXXX.XX
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

dubphaser

Post by dubphaser » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:30 pm

Total price listed in the catalog is $799.
Jose Franco
http://josefranco.org
@jose_franco_
Voyager Electric Blue #1060

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:56 pm

nice! I can't wait to up poly my phatty :)

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:32 pm

I hope its easier than it is with the Voyager.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:59 pm

EricK wrote:I hope its easier than it is with the Voyager.
What do you mean?
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm not sure what Eric means either but I tried doing a poor man's Poly with my Phatty as master and Taurus as the 2nd and had zero luck. Then I tried the opposite still no luck. Was sure to pick a range that would work on the Taurus and Amos was good enough to trade a few email msgs with me but then I didn't want to bug him much more.

I second it, hope it works well - and I hope more that there is a secret panel on the back that will allow an upgrade to double the voices?

But looking at the panel, it seems very well laid out and brought to mind the fact that it would be an ideal controller for a virtual synth, meaning that you can go into "learn" mode (assuming pot mapping works well) and go to town on the OBX virt synth and others.

Here I (we) go redesigning a product that is just barely out but it would be hand to have each of the 8 envelope buttons map to 8 virtual pots in addition to all of the other controls on the Slim. So turn local control off, pull up a midi keyboard and go to town.

I suppose they are shipping without wood (to save $$) and will sell either rack ears or wood ends?

Anyway, nice that it's close. Unless it has something innovative, it is unlikely that I will buy one (sad to say) but I'm sure it will be a big seller for the hundreds or thousands of folks out there that want classic Moog leads and basses to add to their VA's and Poly Evolver/Pr'08.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:12 pm

This is something I've been wanting for ages, thanks Moog!

PS: Here's a better scan from the leaked AMS ad:

www.ctrlshft.com

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:52 am

What I meant was that its not as simple as hooking the units up via midi and BAM theres duophonics.

I got my Taurus hoping to get duophonics out of it and still no luck either. I want to AT LEAST be able to drone basses while I play melody with my right hand on the voyager, but you have to transpose the keyboard so low (to get the most useful range out of the t3 via voyager's keyboard) that it renders the voyager pretty useless from the keyboard.

If they would solve this problem, this would be completely excellent. They are so on the verge though.

Ive been interested in a Phatty RME for years, but im not so pleased that they don't just put the patchbay on the front of the unit. It would just make so much more sence with the CP251 layout and everything, the whole vintage modular layout, etc.

Eric

ARP

Post by ARP » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:15 am

A four voice Poly Moog ?

"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:33 am

EricK wrote:What I meant was that its not as simple as hooking the units up via midi and BAM theres duophonics.

I got my Taurus hoping to get duophonics out of it and still no luck either. I want to AT LEAST be able to drone basses while I play melody with my right hand on the voyager, but you have to transpose the keyboard so low (to get the most useful range out of the t3 via voyager's keyboard) that it renders the voyager pretty useless from the keyboard.

If they would solve this problem, this would be completely excellent. They are so on the verge though.

Ive been interested in a Phatty RME for years, but im not so pleased that they don't just put the patchbay on the front of the unit. It would just make so much more sence with the CP251 layout and everything, the whole vintage modular layout, etc.

Eric
I agree patchbay on the front would have been keen, but honestly at this price point I'm surprised it has knobs at all. They managed to almost halve the cost and leave nearly everything in tact. DSI can do this because the curtis chips do a lot of the work. This on the other hand is a discrete analog synth with a plentiful amount of digital features as well, and yet they still managed to hit under 800. That's just loco!! I'm really hoping for CV outs on, but fear this may not be standardized yet. Guess we'll find out in the coming (weeks?) what this Slim yet Phattiful instrument can do.
www.ctrlshft.com

nikola

Post by nikola » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:54 pm

[/quote]

DSI can do this because the curtis chips do a lot of the work. This on the other hand is a discrete analog synth with a plentiful amount of digital features as well, and yet they still managed to hit under 800. .[/quote]

i'm having this nightmare, there is an iphone inside my phatty :(
was i pushed or did i fall ?

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Is the LP discrete? I thought there were lots of IC.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:17 pm

Sir Nose wrote:Is the LP discrete? I thought there were lots of IC.
Some, but it's pretty much discrete (the Envelopes definitely are 100% as Amos confirmed it a while back on Gearslutz.)

You'd be surprised at how many much revered "discrete" analog synths use ICs. It is more about knowing the limitations of those components during design than anything else. Tom Oberheim's SEM uses a few ICs, despite being otherwise discrete. It sounds ridiculously great.
www.ctrlshft.com