Moog Slim Phatty

Everything Phatty.
jaahans

Re: Moog Slim Phatty

Post by jaahans » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:16 am

A couple of things I haven't found an answer for about Slim Phatty:

- Are there any pictures available anywhere of the optional wooden sides?

- What are the dimensions of the bottom of the Slim Phatty ? I know the dimensions are listed in the product page, but it seems the unit widens towards the center. I wonder how much is the depth in the bottom of the unit?

Joeg27

Post by Joeg27 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:19 pm

Bump to the pictures available..............I'd really like to see what that looks like. Surely someone here must have the wood sides already mounted (assuming they were lucky enough to have already received the SP in the last few days?) Any pictures???? Please?
I L.U.V. the SP.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Guessing the wood is not yet available. I saw one spy photo from a catalog but no 'official' pictures on the site and if they had them, they surely would portray the SP in all of it's glory.

Could be that they are still working out having them made or maybe it will be an accessory later. Could be that from a marketing perspective, they want it to appear as a complete package at a given price, not a stripped down sheet metal version that isn't quite 'Moog' (which we all know is not the case).

Just guessing...
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Joeg27

Post by Joeg27 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:48 am

http://www.novamusik.com/search.aspx?ty ... =34&lbs=12

Nova Musik has the wood bundled with a package......a very cool package, to say the least.......but I suppose they could always have the wood shipped separately when it arrives.
But yes, I agree with both of your posts............I'm really surprised Moog doesn't have at least ONE SP outfitted with the wood sides at least for the marketing dept. to shoot. :idea: I would have figured that to be the main pics for the official website, too.

Strange......................all I know is that when the wood sides do come, I'm jumping on them before it suddenly disappears!

Even more strange.......how obsessed I am with seeing the SP with the wood sides mounted!!! haha.....it's just two pieces of wood....yet, the appearance echoes such great tradition! :mrgreen:
I L.U.V. the SP.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Interesting, I suppose I should have looked at Nova before writing that! Yet no pictures even on their site.

If memory serves (famous words, Chairman Kaga or not), the picture I saw was an actual enclosure, not just side or end cheeks but then again, I might be making that up. Either way, me too on the $500 used market, but I think it's going to be a cold year+ wait.

So compare the LP to an SEM and which do you prefer? (strange to be asking that of the Moog forum). Obviously, the SP gives quite a bit more with presets and all of the options and all, Midi etc etc, but the SEM does appeal to me.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:39 am

EMwhite wrote:So compare the LP to an SEM and which do you prefer? (strange to be asking that of the Moog forum). Obviously, the SP gives quite a bit more with presets and all of the options and all, Midi etc etc, but the SEM does appeal to me.
I have both, and IMO they aren't really comparable. Sound is totally different. If I had to choose, I'd get the SP everytime, mainly for patch memory.
www.ctrlshft.com

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:05 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
EMwhite wrote:So compare the LP to an SEM and which do you prefer? (strange to be asking that of the Moog forum). Obviously, the SP gives quite a bit more with presets and all of the options and all, Midi etc etc, but the SEM does appeal to me.
I have both, and IMO they aren't really comparable. Sound is totally different. If I had to choose, I'd get the SP everytime, mainly for patch memory.

I also have both, and they serve a different purpose for me. Flame me now, but I tent to go after the sem more then my lp. It has nothing to do with sound its all to do with layout. I'm not a keyboard player I'm just a knob twiddler. For me the sem is more geared for that. I tend to use the lp as a long drone by using the Keyboard Gate In jack. If I had to make a "this one sounds like this statement" I'd say the LP is fatter and warmer sounding. I actually prefer the sound of the Moog it's just the layout that does not work as well for me. So what I need is a Voyager :D . But that's just me. SO I guess if you play keyboards go for the lp or sp if your a knob twiddler take a hard look at the sem patch point.

Dean

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:24 am

slabwax wrote:
CTRLSHFT wrote:

I also have both, and they serve a different purpose for me. Flame me now, but I tent to go after the sem more then my lp. It has nothing to do with sound its all to do with layout. I'm not a keyboard player I'm just a knob twiddler. For me the sem is more geared for that. I tend to use the lp as a long drone by using the Keyboard Gate In jack. If I had to make a "this one sounds like this statement" I'd say the LP is fatter and warmer sounding. I actually prefer the sound of the Moog it's just the layout that does not work as well for me. So what I need is a Voyager :D . But that's just me. SO I guess if you play keyboards go for the lp or sp if your a knob twiddler take a hard look at the sem patch point.

Dean
I agree the SEM is ridiculously good sounding, and very tweakable. I think for me in a desert island scenario it comes down to bread and butter. SEM (Synthesizer Expander Module for anyone who didn't know) to me is exactly what it says it is. A fantastic companion module that can expand a synth setup into a much more potent place. It certainly can handle things on it's own and have to say it gives A LOT of other modern analogs a run for their money, but the LP/SP for me fills a niche many other synths can't quite get to. Sure, it isn't doing any phasey notch-filtered trip outs or HPF sweeps, but it has been a workhorse for me going all the way back to the Tribute.

Anywho, the point is moot, I bought both because they are badass. In fact, I'm on the preorder list for the SEM Pro right now. :wink:
www.ctrlshft.com

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:49 am

Wow thanks for the heads up on the SEM Pro. Do you know when is the 2 voice coming out. I heard that the two voice w/a seq was next on the list. The sem and the LP do make a great combo, but I need a Voyager with a ribbon controller.

Deaan

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:16 am

slabwax wrote:Wow thanks for the heads up on the SEM Pro. Do you know when is the 2 voice coming out. I heard that the two voice w/a seq was next on the list. The sem and the LP do make a great combo, but I need a Voyager with a ribbon controller.

Deaan
I'm actually going w/ a SP+SEM (midi-cv atm, soon pro)+DSI Tetra+ M-Audio Axiom49 for controlling everything, it's pretty fun, tons of analog power, ultra portable. Better than a modular, imo.

No info on the 2-voice, the SEM Pro is hardly a whisper. Since Tom is doing darn near everything I suspect we won't know much about the fabled two voice until Q2 2011 or so.
www.ctrlshft.com