LP Keybeds

Everything Phatty.
Sergiu

LP Keybeds

Post by Sergiu » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Hello all, first post here! Feel free to welcome me! :lol:
I wanted to ask you about the keyboard on the LP II. Is it the same keybed as on the fist stage edition (of which I heard less hen flattering things)?
Or is it a different design?
I am asking because I am going to get one anyway, but I might have a chance to grab a nice first edition on Ebay for less money. If the keys differ, then I will buy a new stage II.
Also, might I expect stability issues with a first edition, more so then with a second?
Thank you for your time,
Sergiu
www.sergiumuresan.com
Music for Games

Voltor07

Re: LP Keybeds

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:06 pm

The LP Edition 1 is a great little synth. The keybeds are less than desirable, but this was fixed with the LP II. The only thing you may miss with a Stage I is the lack of USB, but for an extra low price, the panel with USB is available as a DIY addition from Moog. Also, the Stage I runs the same software as the Stage II, so if the LP I you get doesn't have OS 2.0x, you can download the update and put it in your synth. I personally love my Stage I, and if anything were to happen to it, I'd buy a Stage II to replace it. :)

FWIW, the keybed is still better than a Yamaha or Casio keybed. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

jupiter

Post by jupiter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:46 am

mine has USB connection so I guess it is a LP II ? which is supposed to have the better keyboard ?

This is strange as in mine the keyboard is starting to develop theeting issues (keys are not in the same level)
and it has just been used for a very few months now... is it a known issue ? any known fix for this ?

Thanks !

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:09 am

jupiter wrote:mine has USB connection so I guess it is a LP II ? which is supposed to have the better keyboard ?

This is strange as in mine the keyboard is starting to develop theeting issues (keys are not in the same level)
and it has just been used for a very few months now... is it a known issue ? any known fix for this ?

Thanks !
What color is the back? The Stage I has a silver back, while the II has a black back panel. When I bought my Stage I, the keys were not level at all. After use, they balanced themselves out. It IS an inferior keybed, no doubt, but I am certain Moog would be willing to give you pointers for readjusting the keys...heck, my sister's Yamaha (acoustic) piano keys are no longer level...maybe it's just the nature of the beast? :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

jupiter

Post by jupiter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:01 am

acoustic pianos should go under regulation every once in a while,
I haven't seen this kind of problem on any of my synths, except very old ones who
have Pratt-Read keyboards, Should never happen basically, :?

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:24 am

As far as I know, the only difference in the stage I and stage II keybed is a foam cushion was added under the keys of the stage II to give it some squishy resistance at the bottom of a keystroke. I can be added to a stage 1 if it is at the factory for service. Get the stage 1 and use the extra $$$ for a fooger or cp-251.

Moogtard

Post by Moogtard » Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:27 am

I have a Tribute edition and have had it upgraded with cv outs, new operating system, new left hand controller and new keyboard. I must say that the first thing I noticed when I got it back from Moog was the quality of the keyboard and LHC. The LHC and keybeds they use now and have been using in the stage 2's are way better. Even if the difference is only a strip of foam, which I don't believe is the case, the new keybed cost me 40 bucks and the new LHC was 20. Not too bad considering how difference it has made.
Tribute and stage 1 owners - If you ever send your LP back to the Moog factory, I would strongly recommend replacing these two items in addition to your order.

Krinor

Post by Krinor » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Moogtard wrote:I have a Tribute edition and have had it upgraded with cv outs, new operating system, new left hand controller and new keyboard. I must say that the first thing I noticed when I got it back from Moog was the quality of the keyboard and LHC. The LHC and keybeds they use now and have been using in the stage 2's are way better. Even if the difference is only a strip of foam, which I don't believe is the case, the new keybed cost me 40 bucks and the new LHC was 20. Not too bad considering how difference it has made.
Tribute and stage 1 owners - If you ever send your LP back to the Moog factory, I would strongly recommend replacing these two items in addition to your order.
Keyboards are usually the easiest part to replace. It's usually just some screws and a multipin plug. Would it maybe be possible to order one from Moog ? I'd like to replace mine too (I have the Tribute Edition).