me exploring my phatty in depth... part 1- external audio in

Everything Phatty.
CRJ

me exploring my phatty in depth... part 1- external audio in

Post by CRJ » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:27 am

so lately ive been really trying to get a deep down, full understanding of everything and anything that my synth does, and also of the many different areas of synthesis. my idea is to use you all here as a sort of starting part for my explorations into my phatty stage 2.

first up. the external audio input -

what sort of audio do you all run into it?

what settings do you use when running stuff into the phatty?

does the phatty operate differently, or do anything different when you are running audio into it?

and so on, and so on... more questions to come soon.

my idea is to sort of discuss everything we can think of concerning one small part of phatty that i do not understand, or do not know much about. actually, i think going over everything like this could be a sweet way for people to learn from each other. work in progress :)

make sense?

as we fully exlore one thing, we move onto the next once we get bored with the thread. eventually, if thinggs continue like i hope they do, down the road, we could have a super nice and fun and easy to follow phatty/synthesis tutorial sort of.

Jaguarfooger

Re: me exploring my phatty in depth... part 1- external audi

Post by Jaguarfooger » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:20 pm

I have run the attenuated noise output of the CP 251, through the MF 101 LPF, and into the external output. This setup adds a touch of "breath" to phatty sounds (I think that the owners manual offers that description)...To me, some Phatty presets kind of sound "steam powered" with this setup.

I do not have either the multi pedal or the CV output mod on my Phatty, but I imagine that being able to use envelope CVs from the Phatty to control the MF 101 LPF in this setup (or any other effects that are used to modulate the noise) could lead to some neat sounds.

Another thing I've done that hasn't blown my mind nearly as much is patch the DELAY OUT of the MF 104 Analog Delay into the external output while the MIX OUT goes to my amp...I set the delay to very high--borderline self oscilation feedback, and the mix to zero. The Phatty signal is passed to the amp and the delay sounds (screeching, self oscilation) is gated and tamed by the Phatty's low pass filter. Again, it was not an especially mind blowing patch for me--perhaps someone else has tried something like this with better results.

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:57 pm

i think im going to try and loop the audio back into the external input and see what craziness i can make. im gonna try running my phatty into my mixer, and then sending it out on a aux, and sending that aux into the external input, and then using the aux knob as a sort of dry wet knob if that makes sense.

could suck. might be neat. :) will report back later.

cant find my manual right now. what was the trick to make the phatty stay on while running audio into it so you do not have to hold a hey down? dummy patch cable in the gate cv? was that it? and doesnt it go right to the sustain or something of the filters?

Jaguarfooger

Post by Jaguarfooger » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:32 am

CRJ wrote:i think im going to try and loop the audio back into the external input and see what craziness i can make
I tried this--not as crazy a setup as I had hoped. It made the Phatty sound harsher. To clarify what I did...1) I plugged a cable from the headphones jack to the external audio input. 2) I plugged a cable from the audio output to my amplifier. I did not use any mixers in the setup.

To get crazy sounds by patching the Phatty's signal back into itself, you really need to put some kind of modulation or additional sound source in the mix. I have gotten some much more interesting sounds by placing a Freq Box between the headphones output and the internal input...I've also gotten some reasonably dense, broken combo organ sounds by putting an Electro Harmonix HOG in the signal path also.

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:19 pm

i didnt even think of just using the headphone out. duh.

im gonna mess with that tomorrow.

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:19 pm

i was able to get some super wacky high pitched bleep, but yeah, im thinking sending it into a pedal of some sort is the way to go.

still messing with as we speak. will report back more later.

tagirov

Post by tagirov » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:26 am

Hi guys
Recently I routed my Roland MC-909 thru Phatty.
You can check this test record http://tagirov.net/temp/external_audio_ ... phatty.mp3.
You may hear when I added moog's own oscillators - it acts as compressor with overdrive and adds some cool bass fx.

I think to route thru Phatty my Roland SH-32 using moog as midi controller too. The only bad thing it is mono :^)

Processing of drumloops thru phatty's filters may be interesting too, especially when you control the cutoff/resonance by midi.
Best regards, Ruslan Tagirov.

Toyz: MBPro+Live 9.x+LogicProX, Moog: LP StageII/Sub37/Grandmother/MF-104m/MG-105m, Nord: Stage2 SW73/ModularG2Engine, Roland: MC909/TR-8, Korg: MS-20, R-3, OTO: Bisquit/BIM, etc.

Solenoid

Post by Solenoid » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:43 am

Try adding a small analog module as a third osc...I bet a Mopho and LP can do miracles together...you can control the Mopho pitch/gate through LP via midi...

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:28 pm

Solenoid wrote:Try adding a small analog module as a third osc...I bet a Mopho and LP can do miracles together...you can control the Mopho pitch/gate through LP via midi...
i really want a mopho. a band i did sound for where i work had one, and it had some sick ass sub bass stuff on it.

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:14 pm

I don't know about the Phatty, but on the Voyager, a headphone out to Audio in creates an impeadance mismatch that can blow the Audio in.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

CRJ

Post by CRJ » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:45 pm

EricK wrote:I don't know about the Phatty, but on the Voyager, a headphone out to Audio in creates an impeadance mismatch that can blow the Audio in.
you mean external in? or the audio in?

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:45 pm

The Voyager has an external audio input, that goes straight to the mixer section prior to filtering.

It has an effects loop that is directly after the osc and before the mixer.

Im referring to the External Audio input.

SteveD and several Moog techs state specifically that the headphone out to external audio in creates an impeadance mismatch that can blow the input.

Id check and make sure that this isn't so with the phatty before Id use that type of patch again. But why create a feedback loop when you have that glorious overload feature (that the voyager doesn't have....blast)

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Lazerface

Post by Lazerface » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:28 am

I plugged an iPad running the Korg electribe emulator into the external in,
I programmed a kind of atmospheric robotic sounding arrangement on it, mostly at higher frequencies so that when you open up the filter for a bit of emphasis on a note the weird robot noises come in over the top..nice and subtle like

sounded pretty cool :)

Raaku

Post by Raaku » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:51 pm

Inspired by this post I decided to get the hang of the ext. audio in feature too!

After I figured out how to silence the oscillators I was amazed how cool sounds I could get. I routed my Yamaha sk-30 (an ok multitasker with good organ sounds and decent strings: http://www.vintagesynth.com/yamaha/sk20.php ) through the LP and used the overdrive and cutoff filter with the organ sounds and they sounded awesome! The SK's organs have always sounded a bit too clean and whimpy to my taste, but with the overdrive they sounded divinely gritty and not whimpy at all. I got just the 70's prog rock organ sounds I adore and I experimented with some smooth jazz type of sounds.

I'm ordering the cp-251 tomorrow and test it with the ext. audio too!

2re

Post by 2re » Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:28 am

I have a Nord Rack 2 hooked up to my Phatty's audio in and midi, adding 8 external oscillators. Too bad the Phatty don't have stereo in. It would be super sweet to take advantage of Nord's unison feature as well.