delay for LP?

Everything Phatty.
spin

delay for LP?

Post by spin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:53 pm

hi all

i'm looking for an analog delay that works fine with LP. I would like to buy the moog 104-z but now is too expensive for me, someone could suggest me an alternative one?

thanks in advance!

narrowcaster

Re: delay for LP?

Post by narrowcaster » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:23 pm

I know you said analog, but you might also want to consider the TC Electronic Nova Delay or Nova Repeater. These can cop analog sounds reasonably well, have a really attractive feature set for the price, and sound very nice with keyboards.

alamilla

Post by alamilla » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:30 pm

MXR Carbon Copy
Malekko Ekko 616
Diamond Memory Lane
Retro-Sonic Analog Delay
and of course the venerable Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man

can't really recommend the Way Huge Aqua Puss
the price isn't really viable when you take into consideration the delay time
http://www.myspace.com/skipteque

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 pm

spin wrote:hi all

i'm looking for an analog delay that works fine with LP. I would like to buy the moog 104-z but now is too expensive for me, someone could suggest me an alternative one?

thanks in advance!
The MXR as Amamilla suggested is about the best bang for the buck and has some nice modulation though not the easiest to tweak.

Deluxe Memory BOY which was just shown at Winter NAMM has a vast array of features including Exp inputs.

I have a Diamond ML 2 but it's not cheap. Diamond is about to release an analog'ish Memory Lane Jr. Which is similar to their Trem in its packaging and should be good.

Malekko was to release a 919 but for some reason they delayed it. Their stuff is boutiquey yet affordable.

Lots of options... It all depends on what you are after (BBD, exp inputs, long delay time...). I have a T-Rex Replica which has a fairly long delay time and a warm tone (for digital). Also it has tap tempo via Midi which I leverage via MP-201 Multipedal.

For the money, the Memory BOY Deluxe is hard to beat.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

poladark

Post by poladark » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:16 am

I use an Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy with my LP Stage II and it does everything i want. I'm sure the Deluxe Memory Boy is even better. For me, it was the best choice for the money.

spin

Post by spin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:50 am

really thanks for your help! :D
Well, i don't have anything against digital of course, but in this case i'd like to keep the sound analog also in the effects section :mrgreen:

About the Electro Harmonix pedals, what's the difference between the memory man dlx and memory boy dlx? Also i find interesting the Carbon Copy, i've heard it on youtube, it sounds amazing for guitars....and for a moog?? thanks again for your support

odavy

Post by odavy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:04 pm

I was looking at the carbon copy and decided on the deluxe memory boy instead. This is because the carbon copy cant do 100 per cent wet signal, when you move the blend knob all the way to the right it is still fifty fifty wet dry, and as I am using the delay as a send effect on a desk, it was no good for me. No complaints with the memory boy, an amazingly good delay. I haven't even used the full potential yet.

spin

Post by spin » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:10 pm

odavy wrote:I was looking at the carbon copy and decided on the deluxe memory boy instead. This is because the carbon copy cant do 100 per cent wet signal, when you move the blend knob all the way to the right it is still fifty fifty wet dry, and as I am using the delay as a send effect on a desk, it was no good for me. No complaints with the memory boy, an amazingly good delay. I haven't even used the full potential yet.
thank you very much. The memory boy is very interesting for features and price....it is a good choice of course^^

derekmather

Post by derekmather » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:26 am

I have a MXR Carbon Copy for guitar that I hooked up to my LP... Sounded fine. It's funny cuz when I tried the Memory Man along side the Carbon Copy at a Music Store the Carbon Copy sounded better, IMO (and my dads opinion too). And like that other guy said don't even think about getting the Way Huge Aqua Puss. Only 300 Msec of delay. TERRIBLE! Lol.
If the brain was simple enough that we could understand it, we'd be simple enough that we couldn't understand it.

prog_keys

Post by prog_keys » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:42 am

I've been happily using an Electro Harmonix Memory Toy (the smallest of the EHX Delays) on my LP for a few weeks now. Really livens up the sound. Not too fond of the modulation switch though, I'd rather use a dedicated chorus or such.

One thing to keep in mind with the Memory Toy (and maybe the others in the series) is that the self-oscillation at high feedback levels requires a dedicated power supply, and the Memory Toy will respond differently to different amperage 9 volt supplies, I tried six or so before finding one that gave me nice oscillation. Battery power will only give self-oscillation for a couple of hours. Apart from that, it sounds great and you can get a lot of useful delay type sounds out of it. Not sure if the extra features of the Boy and Deluxe are worth the extra cost. Guess it depends how extensively you want to use. I tend to be the set and forget type.

Assar

Post by Assar » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:01 pm

Don't go for just delay.
Get a second hand Line 6 POD 2.0.
It's a great companion for the LP!
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

Agostino

Post by Agostino » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:50 pm

and what do you think about the Boss DD-7?http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetai ... rentId=255
:)

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:27 pm

I know its not analog, but the Boss DD-20 does alot of stuff, for a little price.
+1 Ping Pong
Boxes full o' wires, n stuff n stuff...

spin

Post by spin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:17 am

thanks everybody for your precious suggestions!
Assar wrote:Don't go for just delay.
Get a second hand Line 6 POD 2.0.
It's a great companion for the LP!
mm Do you have test pod distortions with LP? I am also very interested in an external distortion to boost some lead sounds together with overload...to get some "guitaristic" lead sounds...but it's very difficult to find the rigth one, just because LP isn't a guitar so a good distortion for guitar probably is not for LP.

Assar

Post by Assar » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:32 am

spin wrote:Do you have test pod distortions with LP? I am also very interested in an external distortion to boost some lead sounds together with overload...to get some "guitaristic" lead sounds...but it's very difficult to find the rigth one, just because LP isn't a guitar so a good distortion for guitar probably is not for LP.
I don't have any testfiles to show you, but there are a lot of distortion possibilities. You have several pedals and several amplifier's 'drive' and tone controls. Plus all other effects, like deleys, reverbs, stereo choruses, flangers and more. And the speaker simulations.

If you want to, you can destoy the LP's original sound completely... :wink:
(but that would be a shame of course)

And, yes, you can make it sound like a distorted guitar!
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se