Pots in auto-rotation

Everything Phatty.
michelbananesjr

Pots in auto-rotation

Post by michelbananesjr » Mon May 31, 2010 4:35 pm

first, excuse my english, i'm french...

My LP has sometimes some boring troubles :
the sound parameters are moving alone... I posted several about this point,
and some pleasant forumites told that it was certainly a ground or midi loop problems...

I tried to check that, but nothing changes...
yesterday, the problem came again,
and i noticed that it happens when midi cable and audio cable were wired on the synth.
When i disconnect the audio cable, no problem... BORING :x

so in my research, i read that some LP had problems with the metal case :
"The Voyager has a complete ground from the metal casing to the rest of the electronics and the LP doesn't"
does someone knows how to make a mod that clean this trouble ????

Regards.

Sir Nose

Re: Pots in auto-rotation

Post by Sir Nose » Mon May 31, 2010 5:31 pm

I've had some weird behavior like you descibed along with volume drop out to almost nothing when using certain effect pedals. I plug in the audio cable without the effect and the problems stop. I guess, make sure the amp is grounded and try different power supplies if you are using effects with external supplies.

Does the problem only happen when the midi cable is plugged in?

Also, try moog support directly.

michelbananesjr

Post by michelbananesjr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:56 am

the problem appears with midi and audio cables wired.
After that, the trouble stay even without midi cable, sometimes it disappears with a change of power supply
but sometimes not...

I contacted Moog directly seven or eight times, i tried the USB debug adapter,
i tried stable power suplly( i don't know the right name of that in english)...
I tried some firmware update some hundred times,
but there's always happens, and often in the worst occasion (5 min before a live etc...)

I really don't know how to do naw,
this metal casing option is perhaps the new solution for me

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:40 am

I would say have a professional take a look at it. Is it under warranty?

michelbananesjr

Post by michelbananesjr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:43 am

no...
and in France, the official Moog dealer is MESI, and they take months to come back your synth.
There are other guys I know who repair old and brand new analogic synths but they're very very very very expensive,
and I think my problem is not common....

michelbananesjr

Post by michelbananesjr » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:45 am

it's an another subject but i try...
is someone know when the new LP firmware will be ready ??

michelbananesjr

Post by michelbananesjr » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:40 am

up, please ...

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:55 pm

Hello, I had this problem with my phatty a couple months ago, if you set the analogue mode to pass-thru then the knobs will not turn by themselves, but the phatty will still send junk midi. For me the problem was caused by grounding and was fixed when I used a different power strip. Make sure that the amp and the synth are plugged into the same power source, and try a different power source and outlet.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:00 pm

What is connected to the other end of the audio cable that is connected to the LP audio output?
A mixer, an amplifier, a computer?
I suspect this is the problem, if the problem goes away when you disconnect audio cable.
I have seen this in the past. If there is some stray voltage on the audio cable, it can cause this problem.
Stray voltage on the audio cable can happen when there is some electrical trouble with the mixer or amplifier.

Aside from this explanation, I can suggest a small modification that you or a skilled technician can try.
If you have someone you trust to make electrical repairs, solder, etc,. email me at amos at moogmusic dot com and I will make a suggestion.

Kind regards,

Amos

ibjim

Post by ibjim » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:21 pm

Amos wrote:What is connected to the other end of the audio cable that is connected to the LP audio output?
A mixer, an amplifier, a computer?
I suspect this is the problem, if the problem goes away when you disconnect audio cable.
I have seen this in the past. If there is some stray voltage on the audio cable, it can cause this problem.
Stray voltage on the audio cable can happen when there is some electrical trouble with the mixer or amplifier.

Aside from this explanation, I can suggest a small modification that you or a skilled technician can try.
If you have someone you trust to make electrical repairs, solder, etc,. email me at amos at moogmusic dot com and I will make a suggestion.

Kind regards,

Amos
Hi Amos

I have a similar problem, except that it happens even when there's nothing else plugged in (no audio, midi or headphones). I can tell that values are changing as the Preset button will change from Orange to Red on it's own. I've tried it in a couple of locations (my home and at a friends) with and without power strips and still have the same problem. Is there anything I can plug it into to sort out the grounding issue? I am not afraid to get my hands dirty if there's a fix. Have tried setting Analogue Mode to Pass-Thru, doesn't seem to affect it...

I'm in the UK if that has anything to do with it? OS 2.20S on a Stage Edition.

Cheers :D

ibjim

Post by ibjim » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:07 pm

Tried this mains conditioner: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... doy=search

Didn't help, so promptly returned it. Think these kind of products are snake oil any way... :?

Is there an internal modification I can make? I'm quite handy with the old soldiering iron :D

jupiter

Post by jupiter » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:17 am

Hi,

Did any one managed to sort this out ?

I just purchased an LP and found that if it is not connected to a grounded outlet, or if you use a two prong power cable (no ground) , the LP will go insane ! all pot leds will rotate automatically and sound will change spontaneously ! This won't happen when it has ground connection !

Is it a known issue ? is there any work-around I can DIY on it ? or any other known solution ?

Thanks !