LP breath control options?

Everything Phatty.
narrowcaster

LP breath control options?

Post by narrowcaster » Thu May 20, 2010 10:50 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of getting a Yamaha BC3 to use with my old CS-01, which got me to thinking more about breath control with the LP. Can someone tell me what the various options are? I know that I could do MIDI CC using the MIDI Solutions box, but I'd like it even better if there was a way to interface the BC3 with the CV inputs. Is this possible, and if so, how? Or if there's another breath controller on the market that does a better job of this than the Yamaha, that would also be good to know. Thanks...

derekmather

Re: LP breath control options?

Post by derekmather » Thu May 20, 2010 1:21 pm

another breath controller that I am aware of is the Eiganharp.
If the brain was simple enough that we could understand it, we'd be simple enough that we couldn't understand it.

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Thu May 20, 2010 2:41 pm

Thanks Derek ... but that's more like a wind controller, which isn't the kind of thing I had in mind. I just meant a simple breath controller like the Yamaha BC series, where you blow in and it produces a variable voltage (no keys or anything).

sine

Post by sine » Sun May 23, 2010 12:26 pm

I looked up CS-01 and see it has no MIDI nor CV out. I think your reference to the CS-01 was just to say that it got you thinking about somehow controlling the LP CV inputs with BC, right? If so, a way to go might be: BC into a MIDI keyboard that supports it, or the MIDI Solutions box, then MIDI out to a DAW running Silent Way or Volta (with supported audio interface) to convert MIDI into voltage for your LP CV inputs. Silent Way's DC plugin might be the most direct way to send voltage to the LP. Turning its "Output Symmetric" on screen knob is what sends the voltage. Fortunately, the default MIDI control for this knob is CC#2.

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Sun May 23, 2010 4:22 pm

That's right, the CS-01 was just the occasion to think about getting a breath controller, which got me to thinking about how cool it could be to use breath control on some of the LP CV inputs. Although on reflection, it sounds like it would be just as easy (or easier) to use the MIDI Solutions box and control the parameters through CC#s.

This brings up an interesting general question though ... Is breath control with Moog instruments just something that hasn't ever been widely explored? I would have thought that with all the interest by Moog in alternate controllers it would have come up before and there would be existing CV-oriented solutions, but maybe not...

P.S. Thanks for tipping me to the Silent Way plug-in. I hadn't known about that one.