Just got my new LP Stage II

Everything Phatty.
prog_keys

Just got my new LP Stage II

Post by prog_keys » Wed May 05, 2010 1:56 am

Hi all,

Just got my brand new LP last week, shipped from the US to Australia. I've been wanting one of these since they came out a few years ago, and circumstances worked out so I could get one. I'm hoping it will complement my Korg M3.

Just though I'd introduce myself and share a few thoughts on my first "Analog" monosynth, (I do have a DSI Mopho - but it's not quite the same) since people here seem rather enamored of theirs.

Firstly, the LP seems to have so much more presence than any of the digital VA synths and software emulations I've had in the past. Something about the design, the layout and the feeling of playing it, makes it more of an "instrument" rather than just another keyboard.

Secondly, prog rock in general and Rick Wakeman in particular have had a big influence on my own music, and the sound of the LP just cries "I'm a Moog" :D I just love it. It's just great that more than 30 years on from when Dr. Moog started building his synths that we can still have the experience of buying our first Moog. Being only 22, I didn't get to experience analog synths firsthand, so it's cool that someone is still taking the trouble to build them, and even improve on them.

It's interesting that the LP behaves more like an acoustic instrument with regards to it's personality and quirks.
It needs time to tune up (though mine seems to be getting quicker at tuning the more I use it), and the whole thing reacts to your playing and tweaking so much more organically than most digital keyboards (cliche quota used up :D ). I wax lyrical but I really do mean it about this little synth, (well, not too little, especially compared to my old Alesis Micron), but it's been great fun playing with it so far and I look forward to digging into it. And from reading the posts here I'm sure if I get into any trouble someone will be able to help me.

Voltor07

Re: Just got my new LP Stage II

Post by Voltor07 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:22 am

Welcome to the Little Phatty club! We aren't as elite as those in the Voyager club, but are just as passionate about our instruments. :lol: Anyways, please feel free to share any and all discoveries you find with this "little" synth. If you saw the Voyager in person, you'd know why the Little Phatty is "little". :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

andreagps

Re: Just got my new LP Stage II

Post by andreagps » Wed May 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Welcome to the Little Phatty club! We aren't as elite as those in the Voyager club, but are just as passionate about our instruments. :lol: Anyways, please feel free to share any and all discoveries you find with this "little" synth. If you saw the Voyager in person, you'd know why the Little Phatty is "little". :wink:
Little Phatty Stage I 2.1OS-MF-107 FreqBox-20" ribbon controller-LP Gigbag-Clavia Nord Wave-Access Virus TI Snow-Roland SH-201-Korg MicroX-Yamaha P70-Alesis MicroVerb4-Behringer XENYX 1002B