triggering the gate

Everything Phatty.
chasard

triggering the gate

Post by chasard » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:27 pm

I have a guitar to midi interface that includes a guitar thru. Can I use the midi output to trigger the LP gate and the LP filters to process the raw (thru) signal. The thru signal can be amped up if necessary.

EMwhite

Re: triggering the gate

Post by EMwhite » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:34 pm

You'll need to try it but I think the answer is a 'yes'.

If you don't want the LP to make any sound (except the processed guitar signal), set the level of OSC1 and OSC2 to zero (knob all the way to left).

Then you can set your amp and filter settings as desired.

Any midi note in will fire the envelopes, etc. Obviously, this will only allow sound to pass through as midi notes are played and only for the duration that the Volume envelope is 'open'. So it will be sort of a rhythmic effect. Another option is the set the sustain up all the way, insert a footswitch with a polarity toggle (or rigged 1/4" cable) into gate so that vol is always up and open, then use an expression pedal plugged into filter. This can sound really good with a pedal that has a spring on it in the toe position.

One of the frequent posters here published a rather long description of how to mess with Phatty/Voyager filters for processing Guitars, etc.

OR, you can get your hands on a Freq box and use the ENV follower and ENV out to control your LP's filter.

OR, finally, get your hands on a synth.com Instrument interface that will actually fire a gate based on threshold of amplitude (which can then leverage a synth's env or another synth.com env module).

'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!