Wooden cabinet for your Phatty

Everything Phatty.
Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:55 pm

OK fellas' I'd like for you guys to give me a list of must have's on the wooden cases. Tell me what you want to see on the prototype. As soon as I get the list I can start the prototype. BTW, I can get all kinds of woods. Figured maple, Koa, Cocabolo, you name it. I can even use bindings/purflings like on guitars if you want it. I can do any kind of paint job you can imagine. Flames maybe? Sparkle? Let me know.

Cole

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Hey Cole thanks for tackling this. I was just about to have some new woods sides made. But I think I'll hold tight until I see your designs. I was going to order ash and then have it painted like the electric blue Voyager. Please keep us all posted.

Dean

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:02 pm

I'll start Dean as soon as I can get these guys to tell me what they want on the prototype. :lol:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:13 am

Coco bolo? Really? DO WANT! :D Classy. Also, would like an estimate on cost for such a thing. :shock:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:07 am

Well that's the thing.....you want Cocobolo your going to pay for Cocobolo!

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:03 pm

Are you thinking more of a Rouge style or more of the Mini Moog / Voyager look? If you are making it like a Mini (folding) how are you going to inclose the bits?

Dean

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Well that's where I want the input from you fellows. Where do you want to see them? On back? On the side like now? I can do either version but it looks like most everyone so far wants to go with the voyager look. I'm trying to do this thing the right way the first time because working with exotic woods can get expensive! :(

Cole

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:06 pm

I don't see why you'd want to do a development prototype in exotic woods.
I'd probably do a first version using pine boards or plywood just to get the measurements right.

I also recommend rogue-style as it's orders of magnitude easier. No custom sheet metal fabrication needed; re-use the original LP bottom plate, keyboard, and control panel... add new wood sides and back; close to done. You could stick the I/O board out the side or out the back.

Voyager style would mean sourcing a hinge and bending a custom sheet metal enclosure for the control panel. Feel free; I'm just saying, it's a whole lot more work.

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:12 pm

I guess your right Amos. I think, in my mind, people may not see past the wood at first, that's why I wanted it perfect first. I think I shall go your route. Rouge style. I do have access to a CNC so I don't think the metal fab part is out of the question.

Cole

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Yeah, Rogue style for sure :) I think if you want real suggestions you should ask more specific questions. For me, I'd like it to look as much like a Rogue as possible, with the jacks out the back. Just anything to get rid of the funny aluminum back. My eyes! But I don't live in the states, so there's no way I'm going to be buying one from you. I'd buy the plans though! So I could get it made locally.

seank

Post by seank » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:59 pm

i'm still all for the voyager style phatty. folding design, jacks on the back/top. it would be nice to retain the front panel. the moog traditional ash would complete the look. very exciting! man, if you can get me an inverted fatar keyboard for this, i'll give you my first born. hell, let's take it to the next level and install a freqbox inside to add another oscillator!

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:18 pm

Ok, so far we've got Rouge style with jacks out the back. What about the control panel tilt? How much tilt until it's a Little Phatty again? Dang I wish I had a Rouge to go by!

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:23 pm

...and I've been spelling ROGUE wrong! D'OH!

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:26 pm

How bout instead of the Rogue, more like this?:

http://www.cyberiaplanet.com/Studio/Ima ... rodigy.jpg

The wheels on the Rogue are built into the control panel. Down by the keys on the Prodigy.

Joe

Burnt Orange back panel

Post by Joe » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:16 pm

If any of you guys go to the wood and have the burnt orange back panel from the solar version.. I'd like to buy!
Little Phatty Stage II, CP-251, MF-102