shipping a phatty

Everything Phatty.
hay.timj

shipping a phatty

Post by hay.timj » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:35 pm

so i need to ship my phatty to asheville for a repair. UPS wants $100 to pack it and ship it. which seems like an incredible amount of money to me.

anyone have any phatty shipping advice? maybe i'll just drive it to North Carolina myself.

dave500

Post by dave500 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:40 pm

I sent mine from B'ham AL. I boxed it myself and I put $1500.00 of insurance on it all for $22.35 ups
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:01 pm

If you have the box that it originally came in, along with all of the original packing material, then you're all set as regards packing. UPS doesn't need to pack it for you.

If, on the other hand, you no longer have the original box, then you might ask Moog if they'd be willing to mail one to you, or cast about to see if others may be looking to get rid of theirs' and be willing to send it to you.

If you plan on keeping and/or gigging your Phatty, now might be a good time to invest in an ATA hard case in which you could then ship the Phatty.

I think Moog might be picky about how they want you to pack your synth. If all else fails, ask them how you should pack it before you ship it.
Last edited by mayidunk on Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Maybe you want to pack it yourself. I double boxed mine and put 1k insurance on it $45.00 from Seattle.

Dean

EMwhite

Re: shipping a phatty

Post by EMwhite » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:48 pm

hay.timj wrote:so i need to ship my phatty to asheville for a repair. UPS wants $100 to pack it and ship it. which seems like an incredible amount of money to me.

anyone have any phatty shipping advice? maybe i'll just drive it to North Carolina myself.
Dave500 gave the right answer. Use original packing material but very very very important that you use the box that the box was in. (wha?) The thin cardboard pretty Phatty box is ng for shipping but they were all shipped to the reseller in a heavy cardboard 'overbox'. That combined with styrophome will get it done but insurance recommended.

Personally, I carried my Phatty into Asheville after flying with it from New Jersey to Charlotte. But this was before the guy tried to light his underpants on fire so travel may be more difficult now. I used a $20 soft case from Guitar center and Moog provided original packaging materials when they shipped it to me.

Hope that helps. Give Ryan a call @ Tech support and ask him for his advice.

-Mike W. from NJ

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:52 pm

I have the Moog LP gig bag, and if I ever have to ship my LP, I would place it in the bag, double-box it myself, & ship it via UPS ground, insured for $1400.

fishman77

Post by fishman77 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:20 pm

I work for FedEx and I would definately double box it (and ship it FedEx, they are cheaper :) )
Boxes go through those sorting machines crazy fast.

Mine came just in the thin box and it was unglued and hanging open, fortunately the LP was fine, but that's definately not a shipping box. Guitar Center heard from me on that one.

-Adam

hay.timj

Post by hay.timj » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:09 pm

unfortunately i didn't save the 'over' box (the box the phatty box came in).

i realize i need to double box it. i cobbled together a giant box out of a bunch of smaller boxes (frankenbox) but it looks pretty janky and i don't know if a shipping company would accept it anyway.

the most annoying part is that is such a small repair: the value knob doesn't work. by that i mean, you can push (click) it but nothing happens when you turn it. i wish there was some way to fix it myself. or take it somewhere around here....

the knob has always been dodgy, ever since i got, right when they came out, now i've got shipping headaches.... thanks a bunch moog.

semi-related topic: anyone know how to repair/replace a value knob?

lizgoode206

Post by lizgoode206 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:58 pm

if you have time then its best to just drive it, but the 100$ will simply pay the inconvenience that it might cause.
Double check the insurance because you surely don’t want to gamble.
[url=http://www.MarkWarner2008.com]Geek Stuff[/url]