Tuning and Buttons

Everything Phatty.
plainlazy

Tuning and Buttons

Post by plainlazy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:27 pm

Hi all,

i'm having a little issue with Auto-Tune on my Stage 1 LP. when my LP is set to Auto-Tune it doesn't accurately tune the pitch of the oscillators, sometimes it can be as much as 30+ cents out of tune. I've updated my firmware to 2.2 which was a nightmare (see previous post) but still have the same problem.

Also the buttons on my unit are a bit stiff, in the sence that i have to push down quite hard to get a response.

are these two issues a common problem with the stage 1 Lp, or have i got a faulty unit???

Cheers

Andrew :wink:

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:22 pm

I don't know about the buttons, if it sat for a while unplayed, maybe they just need to be worked in.

As far as tuning
let it warm up for 15 min before playing
if it's still out of tune run the 4 calibrations in order as described in the manual
If still out of tune contact moog support

nikola

Re: Tuning and Buttons

Post by nikola » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:20 am

plainlazy wrote:

Also the buttons on my unit are a bit stiff, in the sence that i have to push down quite hard to get a response.

Cheers

Andrew :wink:
same problem with some of the buttons here. i wonder is there anything i can do by myself? LPSE1

plainlazy

Post by plainlazy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:34 pm

the problem with mine (that's if it is actually a problem) is that all the buttons are like that; however, i find that that pressing any of the buttons on the bottom right of the rubber square gets more of a response. So possibly it's due to how the circuit board inside is positioned???

plainlazy

Post by plainlazy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:57 pm

oh, as with tuning it still slight out of tune, even after 15 minutes left alone to warm up. at this moment some are in perfect pitch, but som on the other hand or either +3 or - 3 cents out of tune. is that normal as it is analog?

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:23 pm

If there is a specific range you are using more, you can change which note the LP tunes to.

plainlazy

Post by plainlazy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 pm

i set mine to tune around A 3 which is 440Hz, the tuning frequency ;)

this might sound odd but the Lp behaves itself when i set the tuning to manual, tune it by hand then set it back to auto again.

it might just be a coincidence, but it seems pretty unusual

plainlazy

Post by plainlazy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:32 pm

one thing i haven't mentioned is that i bought the LP second hand and it had a fault that the control knobs used to change by themselves. it turned out that the power supply needed a transistor which resolved the issue.

not sure if that has something to do with it, but i certain the power unit and the synth itself are separate

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:56 pm

plainlazy wrote:one thing i haven't mentioned is that i bought the LP second hand and it had a fault that the control knobs used to change by themselves. it turned out that the power supply needed a transistor which resolved the issue.

not sure if that has something to do with it, but i certain the power unit and the synth itself are separate
Did you diy the power supply mod, I am curious because sometimes mine does that, especially if the phatty is plugged into a different outlet than the amp/mixer. I've learned the work around it on the phatty, but it sends midi junk at the same time, which makes it impossible to use as a controller
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

plainlazy

Post by plainlazy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:10 pm

no i got it repaired professionally for £70. it was a grounding issue as the LP only did it when it wasn't connected to anything, apart from the mains. having the audio out of the LP plugged into something acted as an earth, which resulting in the unit not freaking out.

plainlazy

Post by plainlazy » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:34 pm

so can anyone clarify, is it normal for the oscillator to drift out of tune by 30+ cents?

nikola

Post by nikola » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:45 am

plainlazy wrote:so can anyone clarify, is it normal for the oscillator to drift out of tune by 30+ cents?
happens to my lp sometimes, change of room temperature or something, but moste of the time it appears to be osc2, cous overall tuninig was ok.

i experienced also global tuning issue several times in two years, nothing to worry about.

plainlazy

Post by plainlazy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:40 am

thanks for the response nikola

the global tuning of mine does frequently go out by 30 cents, i'm contemplating whether i should re-calibrate my LP. i am using the tuner in Logic to analyse the pitch of my synth, so i might try a guitar tuner instead just to make sure.

nikola

Post by nikola » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:04 am

plainlazy wrote:thanks for the response nikola

the global tuning of mine does frequently go out by 30 cents, i'm contemplating whether i should re-calibrate my LP. i am using the tuner in Logic to analyse the pitch of my synth, so i might try a guitar tuner instead just to make sure.
any time :)

i'm not using tuner of any kind, i use digital piano instead, i tune manual and when i'm done, i go to auto-tuning function.

re-calibrating your lp might be a god idea.