Little Phatty on Ableton through Edirol interface

Everything Phatty.
lucky_strike73

Little Phatty on Ableton through Edirol interface

Post by lucky_strike73 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:06 am

Hi,

I just bought an LP a couple days ago, but since I don't know very much about synths and audio software I'm hoping someone could help me with the following problem:

I'm searching for a way that you can record audio from your LP (not the sounds from Ableton but from the moog) in a clip slot and that you can see wich notes you played (like when you play MIDI on a sound of Ableton)

Now my Moog is setup like this:

1: Audio interface connected usb on PC
2: Moog connected with a normal Jack cable on the audio channel of the interface

Can someone help me?

Greetz!

Jonathan

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:37 pm

Hey,
I don't have a lot of experience with Ableton, but when my band and I were in the studio recording with ProTools, I had my Little Phatty connected to the mixer via audio out, and I also had it connected via MIDI straight to the interface. I'm fairly certain if you want to have MIDI notes show up, you need to have it sending MIDI data to the interface.
Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:11 am

You need two tracks in Live: one audio track receiving the LP's audio, and one MIDI track receiving the LP's MIDI information. Record-enable both tracks and when you record, you will be recording two clips. After you have finished recording, you can route the MIDI clip back out to the LP.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

lucky_strike73

Post by lucky_strike73 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:31 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, it really helpt me out!

Greetz

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:19 pm

I tried doing this but can't figure out how to route the MIDI back to the LP?
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

smisk

Re: Little Phatty on Ableton through Edirol interface

Post by smisk » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:37 am

I also have trouble with sending MIDI data to the Little Phatty. I would really love to be able to automate the filter, decay or similar in Ableton and then send it to the Little Phatty and record a new audio track.

Are any of you guys able to do this?

I've activated remote and sync in Ableton preferences and chosen the LP as the controller. Then, I've added an external instrument to a MIDI-track and then chosen the Little Phatty as the reciever, but it seems that only notes are send to the Little Phatty. So, I can get it to play but how do I then automate the filter cutoff?

Perhaps a thread over in the Ableton forum would be more suitable though ..

Thank you in advance.

DomKane

Post by DomKane » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 am

Load up Ableton and click on "preferences" and then go to the "MIDI/Sync" tab. Make sure that you can see "Little Phatty SE I/II" in the input and output drop-down boxes.

Then load up a new MIDI Channel in you Session View. Then drag in a new External Instrument from the Ableton instruments list.

The in that "external Instrument", choose the LP and the MIDI channel, and below that, select the audio channel you want to receive audio from (this will be the channel on your soundcard that the LP is being fed to).

You should be good to go now... Hit record in the Session View and it will record the MIDI notes. Then when you're happy, add a new audio channel and in Ableton's I/O choose to receive audio from the channel on your soundcard that the LP is going to.
Dom Kane
DJ | Producer | Engineer
Sound designer for Moog (Little Phatty + Slim Phatty), FXpansion (D-CAM), Steve Duda & Deadmau5 (Nerve)
http://www.facebook.com/domkane

smisk

Post by smisk » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:15 am

Great! Thanks a bunch.

I found the MIDI-automation in the envelope-section of the MIDI-clip.

I also learned that the external instrument isn't needed, as the Little Phatty can be chosen in the drop-down menu in the MIDI-clip as the receiver.