Syncing LFO to the Songtempo (Little Phatty Stage Edition I)

Everything Phatty.
enginEAR

Syncing LFO to the Songtempo (Little Phatty Stage Edition I)

Post by enginEAR » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:09 pm

Hello there.

I am owning a Little Phatty Stage Edition I and would like to know if anybody can tell me how to sync the LFO to the tempo of the song i am working on. So far i did this with just using my ears (which was around 98% accurate most times :wink: ) but the stuff i am working on now requires very precise timing of the synths. Thank you all for your input!! Until soon.

Regards.

-enginEAR

Moogtard

lfo sync

Post by Moogtard » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:23 pm

I have been talking alot with Roger O'Donnell. He had some design input with the little phatty and he also told me that he stopped using his little phatty as a sound processor with other sounds due to the inability to control the LFO via midi. I have little phatty tribute edition and am about to send it off for the upgrade. But even after the upgrade im pretty sure I wont be able to control the lfo via midi. If anyone knows something I don't, please tell me!

EMwhite

Re: Syncing LFO to the Songtempo (Little Phatty Stage Editio

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:26 pm

enginEAR wrote:Hello there.

I am owning a Little Phatty Stage Edition I and would like to know if anybody can tell me how to sync the LFO to the tempo of the song i am working on. So far i did this with just using my ears (which was around 98% accurate most times :wink: ) but the stuff i am working on now requires very precise timing of the synths. Thank you all for your input!! Until soon.

Regards.

-enginEAR
(I start every response to emails like this with "I'm not expert, but...")

You can't unless you use Midi in which case you simply send clock from your PC or from the Drum machine then change the "LFO SYNC" Mode to Midi Clock instead of Internal.

Other Moog products like Voyager's and Old School have ways to do this via the dozen or more input on the back panel. I have CV out on my LP and can use it to drive something else via CV but unfortunately even with the CV mod, it's got about 1/4 of the control and 'be-controled' capabilities of the bigger brothers.

But Midi can be your friend and if you have the code upgrade to support the ARP, you can use Midi for that also...

-Mike W. from NJ

EMwhite

Re: lfo sync

Post by EMwhite » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:50 pm

Moogtard wrote:I have been talking alot with Roger O'Donnell. He had some design input with the little phatty and he also told me that he stopped using his little phatty as a sound processor with other sounds due to the inability to control the LFO via midi. I have little phatty tribute edition and am about to send it off for the upgrade. But even after the upgrade im pretty sure I wont be able to control the lfo via midi. If anyone knows something I don't, please tell me!
It works for me, I too have a tribute with CV out mod but that has nothing to do with it. I have 2.2 code and Midi works for both the LFO sync and the ARP sync.

Granted, they are doing [imho] far too much within CPU these days; yes, the LP is a rocketship packed with features but from a code perspective things can get out of hand so I'm sure there's a scenario you can throw at it via Midi that will not work so well.

Midi clock is not the most efficient protocol and I'm using standard baud Midi since my LP doesn't support USB. Likely it will be better with a USB based interface.

Just my 2 cents.

If you need more info, I can produce a short YouTube clip demonstrating this. btw: I'm using Logic 8 Express with a M-Audio MidiSport 2x2.

-Mike W. from NJ

Moogtard

Post by Moogtard » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:54 pm

by upgrade I meant operating system upgrade. Not the cv output. I would like to get the cv output mod sometime but I have no use for it at the moment.

enginEAR

Post by enginEAR » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:42 am

MikeWfromNJ wrote:
Moogtard wrote:
It works for me, I too have a tribute with CV out mod but that has nothing to do with it. I have 2.2 code and Midi works for both the LFO sync and the ARP sync.
So this means i will have to upgrade my Phatty with the 2.2 code and then i will be able to sync the LFO with Midi?! What update is this exactly? Please let me know. Thank you very much.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:30 pm

Moogtard wrote:by upgrade I meant operating system upgrade. Not the cv output. I would like to get the cv output mod sometime but I have no use for it at the moment.
Ah, my bad yes you are right. I did the 2.1T upgrade at the same time as the CV out.

As for which version of code supports LFO sync to Midi, I'm afraid I didn't track the versions/features over time and the old doc is not posted.

I bought my Tribute with 1.1; subsequently upgraded to 1.3 then dragged my LP into Asheville for the upgrade to 2.1T (along with CV as mentioned). But if you look at this page for the Stage II http://www.moogmusic.com/littlephatty/? ... t_id=21113 you'll see LFO sync as a 'new' feature. So I think the answer is 2.0. Check pg. 5 of the doc here: http://www.moogmusic.com/manuals/LPOS20_Addendum.pdf .

Hope that helps.

-Mike W. from NJ

Moogtard

Post by Moogtard » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:16 pm

[/quote]

So this means i will have to upgrade my Phatty with the 2.2 code and then i will be able to sync the LFO with Midi?! What update is this exactly? Please let me know. Thank you very much.[/quote]

There is a operating system upgrade availible for little phatty tribute owners. Makes it equivilent to a stage two except for the EGR auto function. I believe that function is for tribute models alone.

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:53 am

http://www.moogmusic.com/littlephatty/? ... uct_id=254

Click the software tab, then click on the link to download OS 2.2.
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

sergiovalente9

Post by sergiovalente9 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:50 am

I think (i´m sure in fact) that Phatty OS 2.0 and above can sync LFO very well with midi. It is (it was, really) a very cool (and free) upgrade for the phatty.

You must send midi from your DAW or your beatbox to the phatty and that is. Your lfo are sync with the midi tempo. Before using it you must configure 2 steps in your Phatty but its very clear in the manual update that cames with the OS upgrade.

Of course the OS upgrade is free and you can download from the moog site.
Little Phatty SE
MF-101
MF-102
Virus Ti snow
Elektron Machinedrum SPS-1 MK1

enginEAR

Post by enginEAR » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:19 am

sergiovalente9 wrote: Before using it you must configure 2 steps in your Phatty but its very clear in the manual update that cames with the OS upgrade.
Hello.

I just did the Update and have been playing around with the Arp for a looong time. This is fun!! Haha. But: After connecting the LP to my MBOX, loading Pro Tools with a 120 BPM Session and setting the LP so that it takes the external MIDI as his clock nothing happens. Ccan someone help me out on this one? Thank you.

Regards.

-MD

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:41 pm

enginEAR wrote:
sergiovalente9 wrote: Before using it you must configure 2 steps in your Phatty but its very clear in the manual update that cames with the OS upgrade.
Hello.

I just did the Update and have been playing around with the Arp for a looong time. This is fun!! Haha. But: After connecting the LP to my MBOX, loading Pro Tools with a 120 BPM Session and setting the LP so that it takes the external MIDI as his clock nothing happens. Ccan someone help me out on this one? Thank you.

Regards.

-MD
You could try syncing the lfo to midi, then the arp to that, although there may be some phasing issues
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff