CV Out upgrades / experiences

Everything Phatty.
anoteoftruth

CV Out upgrades / experiences

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:33 am

Hey guys,

Just wondering from those who sent their LP's in to get the CV Out upgrade, how the process went for y'all? Was it relatively smooth? About all I know about it now is that I think it costs 200$? But man would it be nice to get a 3rd oscillator working with this puppy. I'm just curious what your guy's experiences were? I think cost of shipping alone would be.. eep. But for some reason I'm thinking it might be worth the hassle?

Also, have any of you utilized the upgrade to use a 3rd OSC with the LP?

Thanks as always guys.

Steven.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

CTRLSHFT

Re: CV Out upgrades / experiences

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 am

anoteoftruth wrote:Hey guys,

Just wondering from those who sent their LP's in to get the CV Out upgrade, how the process went for y'all? Was it relatively smooth? About all I know about it now is that I think it costs 200$? But man would it be nice to get a 3rd oscillator working with this puppy. I'm just curious what your guy's experiences were? I think cost of shipping alone would be.. eep. But for some reason I'm thinking it might be worth the hassle?

Thanks as always guys.

Steven.
Heya, don't have have the CV upgrade yet, but I was using the 107 as an osc for a quite while with the LP, sounds awesome, but just keep in mind that the audio coming out of the 107's OSC OUT is really friggin hot, and the LP has no attenuator for this, IE it will completely drown out your other oscillators. The easiest solution? I suggest getting a small passive line mixer (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SplitMix4/) to help get it down to size. You could also use this if you plan on getting more 107s as oscs down the road.
www.ctrlshft.com

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:18 pm

I just got my RMA today I'll keep you posted on the process. My guess is it might be a bit slow right now with the NAMM show in the next couple of weeks.

Dean

TehSlavik

Re: CV Out upgrades / experiences

Post by TehSlavik » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:26 am

anoteoftruth wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks as always guys.

Steven.
I hear you. Sometimes, when living in Canada... shipping anything, anywhere, really really sucks. Keep us posted if you do send it out. I'd really like to know the turnaround. Not Moogs turnaround... but what time customs will take with it.

lizgoode206

Post by lizgoode206 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:36 am

No guts no glory.... You'll forget about the 200 bucks once your new baby is home. :wink:
Last edited by lizgoode206 on Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.MarkWarner2008.com]Geek Stuff[/url]

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:22 am

lizgoode206 wrote:No guts no glory.... You'll forget about the 200 bucks once your new baby is home. :wink:
If I take into account exchange rate, customs, sales taxes, handling fees, transportation UPS with tracking and broker fees), I estimate the cost of a CV upgrade done in the US in the vicinity of $400. And that if they don't decide to charge taxes on the whole amount. No, don't laugh, this happened to me no less than 3 times in the last couple of years.

That reminds me of a story with Customs Canada, where they impounded a demo unit coming from the States. We had to pay $6000 to get the unit out of customs, which we used for a trade show for a weekend, then shipped it back to the U.S. Our $6000? They were wrong but ..forget it, no recourse against government bureaucrats.

Nope, my LP is not crossing the border. I'll buy an orange LP instead. $400 is a sizable cash down.

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:57 pm

I'm with you Portamental. The reasons you listed are exactly what I'm worried about.

and very true.. 200$ mod, at the end would turn out to be at least a 400$ mod. Seems I might wait it out. I have no practical purpose right away for a CV out, it's just all the things I eventually COULD do with it, that make me want it.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:31 pm

Portamental wrote:
lizgoode206 wrote:No guts no glory.... You'll forget about the 200 bucks once your new baby is home. :wink:
If I take into account exchange rate, customs, sales taxes, handling fees, transportation UPS with tracking and broker fees), I estimate the cost of a CV upgrade done in the US in the vicinity of $400. And that if they don't decide to charge taxes on the whole amount. No, don't laugh, this happened to me no less than 3 times in the last couple of years.

That reminds me of a story with Customs Canada, where they impounded a demo unit coming from the States. We had to pay $6000 to get the unit out of customs, which we used for a trade show for a weekend, then shipped it back to the U.S. Our $6000? They were wrong but ..forget it, no recourse against government bureaucrats.

Nope, my LP is not crossing the border. I'll buy an orange LP instead. $400 is a sizable cash down.
In that case, you should buy one of those fancy Orange ones with the CV outs already there and just sell yours locally. Is $1,447. No idea what shipping to Canada would cost though. If you can get $1,100-1,200 for yours, you'll be ahead of the game.

-Mike W. from NJ