Solar CV Little Phatty Video Demo

Everything Phatty.
_DemonDan_

Solar CV Little Phatty Video Demo

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:54 am

Hi Gang,

Every job has its ups and downs, but this is the kind of thing that makes it so much fun to work at Sweetwater.

I got to hook up all of my personal Moogerfooger pedals (MF-101, 102, 105M, 107) along with the MP-201
to the CV Ins and Outs of the Solar CV Edition of the Little Phatty Stage II.

The video can only hint at how much unexplored territory is out there on this Phatty:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 659&ref=mf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkm-2OuIOhI

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PhattySWCVor

:twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted:

EMwhite

Re: Solar CV Little Phatty Video Demo

Post by EMwhite » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:51 pm

Nice Run through Dan. A bit quick but I suppose YouTube only lets you go so far.

I had a quick question for you (or anybody else that can help). I have a Tribute that was upgraded with CV Outs. And a MidiMurf. When I try to setup an ARP to drive the step function of the Murf, it doesn't work.

It steps well enough by hitting keys but when I set it to Latch mode, for some reason the KB Gate Out doesn't budge. Is there some setting that you need to enable within the LP? I have the proper cable as evident by the fact that I can step the MuRF along by pressing subsequent keys.

Thanks.

-Mike W. from NJ

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:00 pm

MikeWfromNJ wrote:I had a quick question for you (or anybody else that can help). I have a Tribute that was upgraded with CV Outs. And a MidiMurf. When I try to setup an ARP to drive the step function of the Murf, it doesn't work.

It steps well enough by hitting keys but when I set it to Latch mode, for some reason the KB Gate Out doesn't budge.
Hi Mike,

I had the exact same problem. As it was explained to me, the current Gate duration of the Arpeggiator is 100%, which doesn't spend enough "off time" to allow the MIDI MuRF to retrigger.

The mad scientists at Moog are aware of this and are looking at ways to address it.

I'm trying to remember my solution... I think I used either the Volume or Filter Envelope CV Out as a way of triggering the MIDI MuRF.

Hope this helps,

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:56 pm

Yeah Dan, finally!

I got alot of feedback (all wrong) the last time I asked about this...Vol ENV with properly tuned evelope does it... Did you talk to Ryan about the fact that GATE is open too long. I suppose depending on envelope/filter, etc this may be preferable. I'd like a setting to adjust this to # of ms. to have gate open [these guys have got to be running short of CPU cycles though and without a preemptive IRQ, it's going to be tough to do that along with all of the other tasks].

Thanks again

-Mike W. from NJ

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:26 pm

I don't have a phatty.

If im not mistaken, if you want the arpeggio output, you use the pitch output right? This will externalize the arpeggio's voltage to an external pitch source like another synth or osc.

The ARP latches on to the pitch frequency, not the gate right, so there wouldn't be a gate output with the arp except MAYBE just a start signal?

So the pitch output from the arp woudn't necessarily provide enough voltage to trigger the murf.....but holy crap that would be really interesting sound!

Now wouldn't the arp be better suited for a Midi CC and with a midi murf then this could easily be accomplished?

Please correct me if im mistaken about the arp in relation to the gate.

Thats something ill have to try with the taurus and the Midi Murf when I have them both....might be awhile.

Eric

Eric

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:32 pm

EricK wrote:
If im not mistaken, if you want the arpeggio output, you use the pitch output right? This will externalize the arpeggio's voltage to an external pitch source like another synth or osc.

The ARP latches on to the pitch frequency, not the gate right, so there wouldn't be a gate output with the arp except MAYBE just a start signal?
Hi EriK,

I believe that he's trying to syncronize the "rate" of the MuRF to the "rate" of the Arpeggiator... not the Pitch of the Arpeggiator.

So, in this particular case, he'd need the Gate CV Out. But for technical reasons mentioned above, this is not working as expected.

Using either the Filter Env or Vol Env CV Out is the solution he's looking for.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Now there would be two ways to do that right? Either the tapstep input, by syncing the murf to the speed of the LFO (trying to match the speed exactly or a fraction faster/slower) and letting it run on its own, or the arpeggiator triggering each step?

Im not saying you are wrong...ill go back and read his question but initially I read it as each note of the ARP would play on a different band of the murf.

Lemme see.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:17 pm

EricK wrote:ill go back and read his question but initially I read it as each note of the ARP would play on a different band of the murf.
Hi EryK,

I think, to be very precise, I'd paraphrase his request as:

For each step of the Phatty's Arpeggiator I want the MIDI MuRF to move forward one step in its Pattern.

If this is the case then it has nothing to do with Pitch CVs. He's not asking for the MuRF frequency bands
to correlate with notes in the Arpeggiator, just a one-for-one step advancement of both the Arpeggiator and MuRF.

I think if you go back a few posts (above this one) you'll see that he responded that the suggestion worked for him.

Best,

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:01 pm

EricK wrote:I read it as each note of the ARP would play on a different band of the murf.
_DemonDan_ wrote:For each step of the Phatty's Arpeggiator I want the MIDI MuRF to move forward one step in its Pattern.
Thats what I said.

_DemonDan_ wrote:If this is the case then it has nothing to do with Pitch CVs. He's not asking for the MuRF frequency bands
to correlate with notes in the Arpeggiator, just a one-for-one step advancement of both the Arpeggiator and MuRF.

If you wanted to isolate the individual notes of the arpeggiator, these would be available at the pitch cv output...right? Or the corresponding Midi CCs.

I realize that gate signals are what steps through the filters on the murf, hence each pressing of a key (kbd gate output) changes the murf's step.

What I am curious to know is if the arp outputs CVs as both PITCH and GATE.

The reason why I am even bothering to figure this out on this thread is because Im expecting the Taurus pedals and I am trying to learn about the Arpeggiator (even though they lack CV outs).

EricK

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Yeah, it's as simple as advancing a step on each keypress as sequenced via Arp of the Little Phatty.

I was using MOD bus at one point and tying directly to rate but that would only work up to a certain rate before the MuRF would give up. Gate would be best because the method used as work around will ONLY work if the Amplitude envelope is crisp.

I really think it would be great if the next update could either obey the LEGato setting in Advanced options: GATE: Leg On/Off/Global or something like that.

Appreciate the dialogue guys.

-Mike W. from NJ

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:22 pm

What I am curious to know is if the arp outputs CVs as both PITCH and GATE.

The reason why I am even bothering to figure this out on this thread is because Im expecting the Taurus pedals and I am trying to learn about the Arpeggiator (even though they lack CV outs).

EricK
It does, Eric. I have the Pitch CV out of the Phatty patched into the FREQ of my 107 FreqBox, then the OSC Out into my LP's Audio in to have the same filter treatment applied, hence a 3 OSC Phatty. Once tuned via the VCO Freq knob on the 107, it tracks notes perfectly and obviously, the internal GATE fires the Filter and Volume envelopes at the proper time.

Another option would be to send the OSC Out into a LP101 for an independent Filter envelope and treatment.

My only disappointment about the 107 is that I can't use it to generate a CV sourced frequency AND simultaneously send another audio signal in and use the ENV OUT envelope follower for something else. Once you plug into "in", the frequency that was previously sync'ed to FREQ in now varies to try and match the input. Wish there was a way to break this connection and have 2 separate sections. Am sure the wizards at Moog could do something like that I'm not sure how much of a calling there is for that. Looks like I now have a legitimate need for a MF-101.

As a further aside, I've had great success using the 107 simply as an envelope following plugging my Bass into it and patching the output signal into my Old School along with the ENV Out controlling the Old School's filter (but bypassing the frequency affected sound). It's quite nice.

Final distraction: The Taurus 3 looks alot like a Phatty from the display to the knob to the buttons to some of the features, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the same circuitry inside and some of the same code. Here's hoping that I get a bonus this year. Let us know when you get yours.

-Mike W. from NJ

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:19 pm

MikeWfromNJ wrote:Final distraction: The Taurus 3 looks alot like a Phatty from the display to the knob to the buttons to some of the features, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of the same circuitry inside
Nope! The Taurus 3 sound engine is completely different from the LP. The LP analog circuits are based on the Voyager, while the Taurus 3 analog circuits are based on the Taurus 1. Looks can be deceiving.
MikeWfromNJ wrote:...and some of the same code.
However, there is some of the same code running; mostly basic stuff like how to move the cursor or increment values using the encoder. Most of the important code is also all-new.

-Amos

The Analog Kid

Post by The Analog Kid » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:08 pm

I just wish I could get a LP with the CV Mod, new, without the terrible orange back, and maybe even blue LEDs

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:20 am

The Analog Kid wrote:I just wish I could get a LP with the CV Mod, new, without the terrible orange back, and maybe even blue LEDs
I like the orange back, but I agree with you about the blue LEDs... I'm really glad I got the Tribute Edition for that reason.

Watching that video is really making me want to get the CV upgrade... Maybe once I pay off my T3's, I'll take a leisurely trip down and drop my LP off in person and stay in town for a few days...

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:26 am

I love my blue LED's. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.