warm up time

Everything Phatty.
The Analog Kid

warm up time

Post by The Analog Kid » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:15 pm

I know that a 15-20 min warm up time is good, and I always give my LP one. now that I am using it for indoor percussion, I will have to warm it up inside, then turn it off, and move it outside for rehearsal. the point of warming up the LP is so the VCOs will get to a stable temperature, right? so unplugging it, and moving it won't undo the warm up right?

EMwhite

Re: warm up time

Post by EMwhite » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:23 pm

The Analog Kid wrote:I know that a 15-20 min warm up time is good, and I always give my LP one. now that I am using it for indoor percussion, I will have to warm it up inside, then turn it off, and move it outside for rehearsal. the point of warming up the LP is so the VCOs will get to a stable temperature, right? so unplugging it, and moving it won't undo the warm up right?
I don't have the answer, but have a followup... is the 15 min warmup time just a recommendation (ie. any harm in banging on it right away, or is the only harm that it may be out of tune, etc.)

I notice on my Old School that OSC1 is often detuned from OSC2 until it warms up and the LP is different still. After some time, they are all in sync and stay that way.

Thanks
Last edited by EMwhite on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solenoid

Post by Solenoid » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:07 am

I usually cook it for 5 minutes and everything is fine with the oscs...I don't know, maybe my work is not very demanding in exact tunings..:D

Amos

Re: warm up time

Post by Amos » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:10 pm

The Analog Kid wrote:I know that a 15-20 min warm up time is good, and I always give my LP one. now that I am using it for indoor percussion, I will have to warm it up inside, then turn it off, and move it outside for rehearsal. the point of warming up the LP is so the VCOs will get to a stable temperature, right? so unplugging it, and moving it won't undo the warm up right?
not entirely, but some -- basically the circuits will cool off a bit during the move, but the time to return to full running temp will be much shorter after such a brief time of being turned off. There's certainly no harm at all in playing the LP prior to full warm-up... the only difference is that the pitch is flat when it's cold.