Trigger envelopes from drum pad

Everything Phatty.
jeepo

Trigger envelopes from drum pad

Post by jeepo » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:42 pm

I have an electronic drum set, and would love to be able to trigger my phatty using one of the pads. I tried plugging the pad directly into the gate input, this resulted in an open gate. i would like to know, has anyone tried building a converter, and are the TRS connections on the gate different than the other voltage inputs?
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

The Analog Kid

Post by The Analog Kid » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:50 pm

I have some Roland V-Pads, and they put out +5 volts, so they will work for CV, you can also buy a pad to MIDI converter from Roland and use it as a MIDI controller, you have to assign a note or parameter to the channel, and then the pad it's self. (it has 5 pad inputs)

hope this helps

jeepo

Post by jeepo » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:55 pm

Thank you for your reply, i will research the difference between the roland pads, and my yamaha pads, I have a midi converter, however i want to use midi from another keyboard to select the notes, while splitting the signal from the pad to trigger the envelope.
Stage II, MF-102, MF-105m, MF-107, paia theremin, akai s2000, yamaha pss 680, yamaha cp 25, and other stuff

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:56 pm

The Analog Kid wrote:I have some Roland V-Pads, and they put out +5 volts, so they will work for CV, you can also buy a pad to MIDI converter from Roland and use it as a MIDI controller, you have to assign a note or parameter to the channel, and then the pad it's self. (it has 5 pad inputs)

hope this helps
Does the V-Pad actually pt out 5V from it's own power supply or do they adjust voltage that is provided as input, based on how hard the pad is hit?

I ask because I have an original Octapad II that I've attached Roland V-drums to, but I found that the dual trigger pads such as the type with rimshot do not work properly and I'm thinking it's because the 'brain' of the Octapad doesn't know how to handle an absolute switch or gate vs. something that varies resistence or voltage.