Newbie Question: Patch Volumes

Everything Phatty.
David Smyth

Newbie Question: Patch Volumes

Post by David Smyth » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:27 am

This is probably an incredibly noob question but:

How do you go about matching patch volumes for a number of patches in a set list?

Any responses would be great!
Thanks!

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:59 am

Hi David,

There are a number of different things can can influence the volume of a patch. Some that pop to mind...

-- The waveform of the oscillators (some are just quieter than others, all else being equal).

-- The level setting for each oscillator.

-- The filter cutoff and resonance.

-- The sustain level of each envelope (especially the volume envelope, but filter as well).

And there are probably some others I'm forgetting.

So unfortunately, sometimes it's really quick to find the reason a patch is quieter or louder than you want, and sometimes it can take a while (or worse, you might need to change the basic quality of the sound in order to change the volume).

My first suggestion is to just memorize the volume differences in your performance sets, and get used to tweaking the master volume as needed (this can quickly become part of just changing the patch, taking only an extra second or so if you know what to expect).

Beyond that, the best thing is to get to know the synthesis engine as a whole, and that will help you learn how to adjust volumes with minimal impact on the patch overall. And probably the best parameters to get to know first are the oscillator levels, and the sustain on each envelope.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:06 pm

Unfortunately, volume level is not saved as part of a preset. It could be bad in a lot of cases if it was.

For performance I plan on using a MIDI foot controller to send a preset number along with a CC for volume that way I can have volume normalized patches.

David Smyth

Post by David Smyth » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Thanks for the replys!

Yea I did muck around with changing the oscillator volumes and sustain levels etc. I'm sure I'll get good at quick volume tweakings and tweaking the patches in general, because I can see how it would be complicated if Moog put 'patch volume level' on the Little Phatty.

Thanks!
David