Should I buy a Tribute or Stage II Edition?

Everything Phatty.
nooberfooger

Should I buy a Tribute or Stage II Edition?

Post by nooberfooger » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:40 am

Hello all,

I've been reading a LOT of the forums in the last week as I have recently decided to get my first Moog synthesizer, the Little Phatty.

However, in doing lots of reading I have found that there seem to be some pros and cons of both the Tribute and Stage II editions.

Obviously you can get the Stage IIs new these days, but the Tribute Editions do pop up on eBay and aren't all that expensive, so finding a Tribute is definitely an option.

Anyone have any further comparison information that could help me make a decision?

Here's what I've come up with:

Stage II
-Comes with the most up to date hardware/software
-Potentially more upgradeable in the future
-"noise" hardware bug has been addressed

Tribute Edition
-MAY have a few superior internal parts? (This has been hinted at by Amos, can anyone confirm?)
-Unique look, wood panels
-Rare
-No USB (which is really OK with me)
-Could get less future support/upgrades due to being a limited run?

What am I missing? Which one would you choose and why?

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:20 pm

IMO, the only advantage of the Tribute edition is that it's rare and might become desirable to collectors. But in every other way, I think the Stage II is the way to go. If you really want wood, you can get custom side panels for the stage.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Tribute is prettier, but SEII+ is the way to go. I wouldn't suggest getting the Tribute unless you were on the pre-order list when they first came out. get more features, less potential problems. you'll probably be able to get a better deal with a SEII as well.
www.ctrlshft.com

nooberfooger

Post by nooberfooger » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:06 pm

Anybody with a Tribute Edition want to comment on this? Or someone that knows secrets about the internals on the TE? 8)

patobrujo

Post by patobrujo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:53 pm

i really think you should go with the Stage, you could find a use Stage I at a good price too, and with the money you save you could get a moogerfooger
..::PATOBRUJO::..

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:57 pm

nooberfooger wrote:Anybody with a Tribute Edition want to comment on this? Or someone that knows secrets about the internals on the TE? 8)
FYI I bought a Tribute new when they first came out. Had one that was a complete dud (audio out was dead!), returned it. got another shortly after that needed repairs before I could actually use it.

I remember it sounding quite lovely, but honestly no different than the SEIIs, save the digital noise you hear leaking in the Tributes.

I vaguely remember hearing something about the RAC technology being more extensive in the Tribute, but never noticed any beneficial difference in the sound, and definitely not in the interface.
www.ctrlshft.com

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Afraid that I don't have much in the way of technical details (diff between the two) but I bought a Tribute from eBay for $1000 earlier this year. It was near shrink wrapped meaning that they guy that owned it opened it merely to see that it worked before the warranty expired. He bought two when they were brand new and was parting with this one for cash.

I just dropped it off to have the CV-out mod done and it will be more beautiful with the custom printed plate over wood on the right hand side. The fact that it came with the extras (poster, CD, etc.) are really minor perks but something about it, the lights, etc (which are available now on Stage) make it seem special. And to know that it was a gleam in Bob Moog's eye, and came from an initial production run of 1200 to two runs of several thousand in #, shows that it's a great piece of equipment.

I understand that that on other option that the Stage II has over the LP (besides Midi via USB) is a 2nd mod destination. But once upgraded to 2.1T, the Tribute is about as close as you can get.

I'm in the process of saving up for a Voyager RME that I will drive from my Tribute. Sounds weird and all but something about the purity of analog and wood 'ears' draws me in.

If warranty is important to you and nostalgia not-so-much so, get a Stage II. But these things are serviceable and the guys at Moog will fix anything, warranty or not so no worries.

Hope this bit of extra info helps you in you decision.

-Mike W. from NJ

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:11 pm

I have an upgraded Trib and it sounds pretty good to me. I don't notice the noise.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:59 am

I have a stage 1. So, I do not speak from experience. If you don't mind sending your synth in and paying for the hardware upgrade/ noise fix, I think the tribute is the way to go.

Amos did give more details at one point, but my memory is failing me at the moment. I think he said, The RAC (real analog control) applies to all parameters except the LFO section in the tribute, the SE and SE2 only have RAC on a very limited number of parameters.

Another thing to consider is whether or not the CV out modification is something you definately want. If you are sending the unit in to Moog anyway...

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:12 am

I have a Tribute and too recommend the Stage II, unless the slicker look is really important to you.
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

nooberfooger

Post by nooberfooger » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:38 pm

Thank you everybody for your feedback!
At the moment I am leaning toward the Stage II. I just hope it doesn't become "obsolete" with a Stage III release! :roll:
:lol:

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:17 pm

nooberfooger wrote:I just hope it doesn't become "obsolete" with a Stage III release! :roll:
Even if it does, a hardware upgrade will likely be made available and the software will of course be free. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:49 pm

nooberfooger wrote:Thank you everybody for your feedback!
At the moment I am leaning toward the Stage II. I just hope it doesn't become "obsolete" with a Stage III release! :roll:
At this point in the LP's development cycle, I'm pretty sure any advancements they would make to the LP III would be ones they could replicate through upgrades on the LP IIs if they can help it. Financially speaking it'd be a bad move to not leave the door open as they'd be tossing out A LOT of business.

I'm sure after a certain point there will be some things that cannot be upgraded, but that's nothing new. I don't expect my NES to play GTA IV. At some point that metaphor becomes reality. It already is to some extent, you can't get a Tribute upgraded to a full-fledged SEII even with the current upgrade offering. Nothing wrong with that, the Tributes are beautiful and unique and quirky on their own. It's nice that Moog has accommodated at all with upgrades... most companies don't do this kind of thing. They tell you to buy a new _inserthere_.
www.ctrlshft.com

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:27 am

Just in case you haven't gotten around to getting your LP yet...

I have a Tribute, which I love. I think if you had the choice... while the wood and lights are lovely, I'd say get a stage II.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:08 am

Dredge I know, but get a Tribute! I love the look, and they're a limited edition thing. Stage IIs are common man!