Defective Little Phatty?

Everything Phatty.
anoteoftruth

Defective Little Phatty?

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:03 am

Hey y'all.

I just wanted to see if I could maybe get some public opinion on this first, but I will probably be contacting the dealer I got my LP from this afternoon as well.

So here is whats up.. I am in Canada, and ordered a Little Phatty in through Long and McQuade.. I waited a couple weeks and finally got it yesterday.. as ecstatic as I was, like a kid on Christmas.. as soon as I came home and opened it, everything looked amazing, untill I noticed a big peice of blue tap on the side styrofoam that read, "Defective, left and right side, scratch on chassis."

Here's where I'm looking for some advice from someone.. I looked all over the LP, and I didn't see any scratches.. as far as I can tell, it felt almost untouched, no fingerprints, smelt new, the rubber on the buttons felt brand new. I checked all the sound out, and it worked flawlessly and sounded amazing (mind you all I did was go through the presets and tweaked for a hour or two) But I'm still pretty urched by that peice of tape on the styrofoam... keep in mind, I dont have a lot of money, and I have been waiting to get a LP since I saw them released.. saved for over a year for this so, I really really dont want to have any issues with it..

which brings me to ask.. what is the Chassis? Does anyone here recommend I try to get a replacement? or is it more likely that this is a repaired model from a scratch? and also, if it was repaired, would that information show up if someone looked at the serial number? either my dealer or moog?

Just looking for some advice for this, as I think the LP is amazing and 100% worth the money put down.. I just want it to last me a very very long time.

Steven.

Portamental

Re: Defective Little Phatty?

Post by Portamental » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:31 am

anoteoftruth wrote:or is it more likely that this is a repaired model from a scratch?
That's what i think. There is also the possibility that a brand new unit was packaged with the foam sides recycled from a returned unit whose box has been slightly damaged, enough not to ship a new unit into. Actually, serial numbers are written on the box with a permanent marker pen, making the re-use of a box not a good thing for a brand new product.

Obviously, this is not the most pleasant thing to happen, but I say, if the unit does not show anything conscpicuous externally, don't worry.

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:27 pm

First I would contact Moog customer support line, then depending n their answer, contact the resaler before the return policy runs out. These things are assembled in Asheville, N.C., not Asia on some automated assembly line! Human oversight in packing may have occurred :(
Just my 2bits.
Boxes full o' wires, n stuff n stuff...

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:17 pm

Yeah I tried looking for a contact number on the Moog site, but they said for non-US customers we had to contact the canadian dealers? I think it would be nice for something like this to be able to contact Moog directly. But I'm definately going to call the store back just to let them know whats up.

I understand that these are handmade in NC too, so that lets me feel a little bit more comfortable.. and maybe I'm just being paranoid, as I have'nt found any external blemishes or anything.. its just seeing that big fat peice of tape saying, "defective", made my blood pressure rise a tad.

I honestly hope its just a packing error, which is why I would like to know if it was ever in for repair? Is there any way to find that out if I provide the serial# to Moog or my supplier?

gtivr6fan

Post by gtivr6fan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Not sure if your supplier will help untill after you contact Moog. I'm sure they keep a detailed list of repairs, or even sales to distributers. If it makes you feel any better when I got my LPSEII, the bag it was encased in was not taped shut, as if it had been opened. I contacted Moog and they said they I had never taped them shut before but maybe that was a good idea for the future. I had asked if the serial # had ever been in for repair and luckily the answer was no. It was in fact a new item...I guess since it didn't look like the inside package of a korg or roland, I got paranoid too! Keep searching and ye shall find the answers! :D
Boxes full o' wires, n stuff n stuff...

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:48 pm

Thanks man, yeah I definately noticed the lack of tape too haha. I called my supplier who did a search for me on the serial.. they got the LPSE2 directly from Moog, and they said it has no history of repair or anything.. should be brand new directly from moog.. So I'm thinking it was either a packing issue, or maybe got a scratch in house and was repaired there before sending out.. either way, if that peice of tape with the writing was'nt there, it would'nt be a thing. But I think in the end I'm gonna be ok, I have the year warranty through my supplier (I guess in Canada the warranty works through them rather then directly through moog) so if anything shows signs then I'll bring it in then..but so far I have no other reason to beleif anything is wrong.. time will tell.. in the meantime im gonna spend lots of quality time with it :D

fishman77

Post by fishman77 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:02 am

My guess is that it's nothing to worry about too. When I got mine (online from Guitar Center) the box was in horrible condition. The glue had come undone on one side and one of the styrofoam ends was busted. The LP was perfect though. I wrote Moog and told them that the boxes were not ship worthy. I work for a shipping company and something like the LP should really be in a double-walled box. I really couldn't believe that the store didn't put the box in another box. Anyway, that's my rant.
-Adam
www.thesolutionmusic.com
www.twelve2five.com

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:23 am

fishman77 wrote:My guess is that it's nothing to worry about too. When I got mine (online from Guitar Center) the box was in horrible condition. The glue had come undone on one side and one of the styrofoam ends was busted. The LP was perfect though. I wrote Moog and told them that the boxes were not ship worthy. I work for a shipping company and something like the LP should really be in a double-walled box. I really couldn't believe that the store didn't put the box in another box. Anyway, that's my rant.
-Adam
www.thesolutionmusic.com
www.twelve2five.com
I got my tribute like that and the poor thing was really beat up. Cracked sidepanel, several LEDs were out, and the audio out was damaged internally. Twas quite painful after waiting like 4 months on preorder for it. :p
www.ctrlshft.com

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:13 am

CTRLSHFT - ok, after that post I feel a helluva lot better about my own LP haha. But man, I feel for ya, I couldnt imagine waiting a month for one and then being faced with that mess. I'm hoping Moog took care of you after that.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:33 pm

Guys, here is what happened:
At the Moog factory we get the metal bodies of the LP (that's the "chassis") delivered from our metal manufacturer in big shipping pallets stacked up with these parts. They are cushioned from each other with the foam end caps which we ultimately use for shipping the finished LPs.

When the parts come in they are inspected for quality and sorted, and that's where the blue tape came from. Whichever chassis was originally shipped to us in those end pieces had a defect and was marked and set aside; it was never built into a completed LP. However, after this QC inspection is finished, we re-use all the foam end pieces for shipping the finished synths.

So, the blue tape has nothing at all to do with the brand-new LP you received. The blue tape should never have made it out of shipping, and you should have never had any cause to worry or wonder, but that's another story. The important part is that your LP was assembled from pristine, inspected parts, and the note about a scratch was a reference to a different piece of metal that originally came in the foam side pieces and was rejected prior to ever being built.

'm very sorry for the scare, and we'll talk with our shipping people to make sure this does not happen again.

Sincerely,

Amos

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:53 pm

Amos..... Moog affectionados luv ya!

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:13 pm

Thanks for the clarification! Awesome.. I should've mentioned earlier, a Moog rep contacted me about this and let me know what was up through PM earlier.. He assured me that everything was pristine and new and he clarified what the blue tape issue. Hopefully if anybody else reading this had this happen, they can rest assure that its not a issue, as I am doing.

Thanks for the responses from everyone, and the people at Moog. I just wanna let everyone know.. My LP itself does infact seems to be flawless, sounds amazing, and I'm 100% in love with it, as anyone could expect. I think its awesome that they are being hand made in NC, with the kind of care and detail these guys put into them.. not to mention the fact that we can communicate with the people that put these beautiful machines together.. if anyone from Moog is reading, just want to say, the hard work and detail is MADLY appreciated :D