Trying to do this (Pink Floyd's On the Run) ...

Everything Phatty.
Najati

Trying to do this (Pink Floyd's On the Run) ...

Post by Najati » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bCuaYS7 ... 82&index=6

I feel like I can get pretty close to everything he's doing up to about minute 7. I had to bring the CP-251 into the mix so that the filter wasn't closing completely from the LP's LFO, I wasn't sure sure how else to do that. I also needed to up the filter sensitivity to get it to open enough - or open fast enough? not sure if there's a better to do that either.

Clarification: When I just tried using the LP's LFO to control the filter I couldn't get it to start at, say, 50% open and then go all the way to 100% open. So I had the idea of using the offset on the CP-251 to do that. It seemed to work, but didn't seem like it was opening all the way, so that the top of the LFO curve was still a little subdued - upping the filter sensitivity seemed to help that. (Addendum: I just realized that my Master level on the 251's Mixer section wasn't open all the way, that might have been causing the latter issue.)

At about 7:30, the ADSR that he's talking about, does he mean the volume envelope? Or the filter envelope? The bit I just can't seem to find is right at about 8:20 - I think what he call's the "bubbly sound" that he supposedly gets with the release that he talks about at 7:34, "Playing around with the release will really give the bubbly ... sound that happens."

How?! :D Thanks! :D

Najati

Post by Najati » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:33 pm

Also, he mentions using a 50/50 square wave ... anyone know where exactly that is on the Wave knob? :) Thanks!

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:18 am

A 50/50 square wave is just a normal square wave. He actually means 50/50 pulse wave, which is a square wave on DSI synths.

You should turn the filter decay all the way up to get the most out of the filter. The bubbly sound is created with the release of the filter envelope.
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]