Wohmp Wohmp!

Everything Phatty.
mcob13

Wohmp Wohmp!

Post by mcob13 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Okay, so everyone knows the typical wohmp wohmp DJ sound. I can get it on the Little Phatty by setting the MOD source to a triangle wave and the destination to the filter. Syncing this to a midi clock works great for DJ performances, but I play in a band with live drums. When I try to use the "Wohmp Wohmp" setting during live performance, it inevitably gets off tempo with the drums when I bring it in and out.

For example. "Wohmp Wohmp Wohmp" ....pause.... "Wohmp Wohmp Wohmp" and by this point the second series is slightly off tempo. If I could get the LFO to begin when I press the key, instead of looping continuously, I would be able to use this effect during live performance. Any suggestions??

Bryan T

Re: Wohmp Wohmp!

Post by Bryan T » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:22 pm

mcob13 wrote:Okay, so everyone knows the typical wohmp wohmp DJ sound. I can get it on the Little Phatty by setting the MOD source to a triangle wave and the destination to the filter. Syncing this to a midi clock works great for DJ performances, but I play in a band with live drums. When I try to use the "Wohmp Wohmp" setting during live performance, it inevitably gets off tempo with the drums when I bring it in and out.

For example. "Wohmp Wohmp Wohmp" ....pause.... "Wohmp Wohmp Wohmp" and by this point the second series is slightly off tempo. If I could get the LFO to begin when I press the key, instead of looping continuously, I would be able to use this effect during live performance. Any suggestions??
Have the drummer play to a click? Get really good at using the tap tempo on the LFO? Put a trigger on the drums that is hooked up to a MIDI clock generator?

mcob13

Post by mcob13 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Cool yea the trigger on the drums hooked up to a midi tempo would be sweet. That would help in some of our other songs where I use the arpeggiator.

Najati

Post by Najati » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:00 pm

I should know whether or not you can do this by now, but is it possible for the arp to trigger the envelop on every filter "step" - if so, could you used the envelops to generate the "wohmp" and have a 0 octave arp just play it over and over again at the predetermined bpm? that'd give the drummer a run for his money ...

just wondering aloud, really ...

denoiser

Post by denoiser » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:44 am

Not sure what the Wohmp Wohmp is but considering the LFO is modulating the filter, have you tried to use the filter EG to draw a triangle wave?
It won't be retriggerable but culd work.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:11 am

dagargo wrote:Not sure what the Wohmp Wohmp is but considering the LFO is modulating the filter, have you tried to use the filter EG to draw a triangle wave?
It won't be retriggerable but culd work.
combine this with the above suggestion... get the filter envelope to make a single good "Wohmp" - then use the arpeggiator to re-trigger it (mode = up or down, octaves = 0). I think it might work!

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:19 pm

I am really hoping this can get worked out in a future firmware release. LFO triggered to start by the gate signal and rest for each new trigger. Then we would want to be able to set the start position and direction too.

The Arp idea is a nice way around.