Interest in CV outputs from Little Phatty? Contact Moog

Everything Phatty.
Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Voltor07 wrote:I e-mailed Amos this morning regarding the DIY instructions, and he told me that he doesn't have time to work on that yet. He said to e-mail him in a couple weeks.
You guys crack me up. Moog is spending money on R&D to develop this and you are trying to get them to give you instructions for you how to do it . . . for free . . . before they've made a cent off of modifying customer's LPs.

I think Amos has more tact than I would.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:02 pm

Bryan T wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:I e-mailed Amos this morning regarding the DIY instructions, and he told me that he doesn't have time to work on that yet. He said to e-mail him in a couple weeks.
You guys crack me up. Moog is spending money on R&D to develop this and you are trying to get them to give you instructions for you how to do it . . . for free . . . before they've made a cent off of modifying customer's LPs.

I think Amos has more tact than I would.
Bryan, I understand what you're saying. But it's not really going to be 100% free, is it? Moog will still need to sell me the buffer board Amos talked about in a previous post on this thread.

And if you were given the option of spending $60 to ship the LP to the factory, spending $85 an hour for a couple hours worth of labor, and getting charged for parts AND being without your synth for a few days, even a week or more, AND worrying about UPS shipping said synth back to you in one piece, wouldn't YOU rather DIY? :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

sine

Post by sine » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:54 am

Amos wrote:Pitch Envelope out
Did you mean Filter Envelope?

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:20 am

sine wrote:
Amos wrote:Pitch Envelope out
Did you mean Filter Envelope?
I could say something funny here, but, um, yes. :oops:
I meant Filter and Volume envelopes each get an output jack.

Voltor, I think the guys do have a point here... we are working hard to come up with this mod for two reasons: one is to make the LP an even cooler synthesizer, and the other is to make some extra income for Moog in these difficult economic times. So, it makes sense we should offer this modification for sale to paying customers for a while before we release the DIY instructions, don't you think?

Thanks,

Amos

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:28 pm

Amos wrote: Voltor, I think the guys do have a point here... we are working hard to come up with this mod for two reasons: one is to make the LP an even cooler synthesizer, and the other is to make some extra income for Moog in these difficult economic times. So, it makes sense we should offer this modification for sale to paying customers for a while before we release the DIY instructions, don't you think?

Thanks,

Amos
When you put it that way, yes, that is a reasonable thing. I was just remembering when I purchased the Stage II side panel for my Stage I. I'd be willing to buy ALL the parts from Moog, if need be. I just hate to be without my LP while it's in the shop, otherwise I'd send it in now. You could always charge $85 for the DIY instructions. Like, have a booklet that explains how to hook up each CV out. I'd be willing to pay that.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

patobrujo

Post by patobrujo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:52 pm

it's there something we, southamericans and overseas moogers, could do to get this upgrade?, i don't know maybe some kind of kit easy to install or something.

Shipping the LP is always an option but in my case the shipping price is just too high not to mention the risk involved for the synth... what are our possibilities?? maybe you coul install this outputs in my incomin Taurus :D ?
..::PATOBRUJO::..

dave500

Post by dave500 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:24 pm

I know what you mean when I sent my LPTE in for the upgrade it was in mint condition and when I got it back it was in used condition.
Model D, Little Phatty Tribute w/cv, The Rogue, MF-102, CP-251, Animoog and Filtatron

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:10 am

patobrujo wrote:it's there something we, southamericans and overseas moogers, could do to get this upgrade?, i don't know maybe some kind of kit easy to install or something.
It is fundamentally not easy to install unless you have experience soldering to surface-mount electronics, and also some machining and shop skills and tools.
However, we will definitely make this upgrade available to our international distributors and service centers, if they want to do the work.
We do not have very many distributors in South America, but we have an excellent service center in Argentina, for example.

Kind regards,

Amos

patobrujo

Post by patobrujo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:40 am

It is fundamentally not easy to install unless you have experience soldering to surface-mount electronics, and also some machining and shop skills and tools.
well in that case we can look for another alternative, my soldering experience equals 0 :oops:
We do not have very many distributors in South America, but we have an excellent service center in Argentina, for example.
well this maybe an alternative for me, Argentina is not that far and maybe i can find a friend of a friend who could help me, two questions (and this is the end of the hijack :) ) the service center is located in Buenos Aires? i have a friend who's opening a music store here in Santiago (Chile), could you send me some info in how you could become a Moog dealer? since the former chilean distributor is out of bisuness now...

Thanx for you answer, cheers
..::PATOBRUJO::..

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:13 am

correcto, es en Buenos Aires: http://www.sintetizadores.com.ar/

to become a Moog distribuidor, email Linda (a) moogmusic.com for more info.

</threadjack>

///OSS

Post by ///OSS » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:14 pm

I would say best thing to do to cover all the different types of users out there would be to offer one price for inhouse mods and one price for DIY mods. that way you just get ALL the customers. I for one would 100% do this mod but the thought of shipping it out is not what I personally feel comfortable with.

Im sure there's a way to do it to make everyone happy and ultimately more money going your way, as all those undecided or hesitant clients with particular reasons would be forking over the cash and just doing the tooling and soldering themselves.
Little Phatty Stage #0042 - OS2.0 | CP-251 | MF-107 FreqBox | MF-102 Ring | MF-105B Bass MuRF

gtivr6fan

Re: Interest in CV outputs from Little Phatty? Contact Moog

Post by gtivr6fan » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Amos wrote:Hi all,

We're always working on something new here in the Moog Lab,
and one idea that we've been talking about recently is how cool it would be to have some control voltage outputs from the Little Phatty. That would make it the perfect little controller for your modular gear, Moogerfoogers, and more! Not to mention, it would open up a host of possibilities for patching modulations back and forth between the Voyager and the LP.

So, it will take some R&D work to make this idea a reality. One thing that would be very useful would be to know how many people would be willing to send in their LP and pay for this upgrade.

The final feature set has not been established yet, but I'm thinking that the essential CV outputs to have would be Pitch-CV, KB Gate, Mod Wheel, and LFO output. Outputs would be on 1/4" jacks. The best place to put these jacks is probably on the front edge of the left-hand controller (the vertical surface, where it won't get in the way of your left hand).

If this is something you would definitely go for, please email amos a.t moogmusic d.o.t c.o.m and let me know! I will need your name and contact info, and then I can get in touch with you once this modification is ready to go.

Pricing will be determined by how much work is involved in doing the mod, but if you want to you can also let me know what you think a fair price for this extra feature set would be.

Also, if there are any other output signals that you thing are absolutely essential to have, please let me know; you can use this thread for further discussion of this idea.

Thanks for your help in continuing to make the Little Phatty the coolest little monosynth on the planet. :-)

Kind regards,

Amos
Any more word on the possibility of this becoming reality? I have to send phatty in for blown LED anyway...
Boxes full o' wires, n stuff n stuff...

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:31 pm

Is there ANY way to take something that is inherantly in the software and turn it into a Voltage Output like say...

Arpeggiator Out?

EricK
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:56 pm

EricK wrote:Is there ANY way to take something that is inherantly in the software and turn it into a Voltage Output like say...

Arpeggiator Out?
The mod will include Pitch and Gate out. Since the internal oscillators and envelopes of the LP are being controlled by this same Pitch and Gate CV, I have to assume that when the arpeggiator is turned on, it will be sending CV to the Pitch and Gate jacks included in the mod. I may be wrong of course.
Gear: Moog LP, Gibson LP, lots of FX

Subtronik

Post by Subtronik » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:52 pm

Now that would be cool, a Phatty voltage controlling (modular style) the Voyager.
[url=http://www.myspace.com/subtronik]My Music[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/39599873@N07/show/]Voyager Photos[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/subtronik]Voyager Videos[/url]