Little Phatty - OS 2.2

Everything Phatty.
uediker_moog

Little Phatty - OS 2.2

Post by uediker_moog » Sat May 16, 2009 3:58 am

Hi all

I just discovered at the Sound Tower editor site an announcement, that on May 18, Firmware OS 2.2 for Little Phatty and the corresponding editor version will be released (http://www.soundtower.com/moog/littlephatty/index.htm). Has anybody more information on this?

Looking forward for even greater sounding possibilities!

Martin

nikola

Post by nikola » Sat May 16, 2009 11:33 am

we'll wait and see :)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat May 16, 2009 1:19 pm

Little Phatty upgrade is imminent, Captain. Prepare for upgrade to version 2.2. :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

nikola

Post by nikola » Sat May 16, 2009 1:41 pm

Voltor07 wrote:Little Phatty upgrade is imminent, Captain. Prepare for upgrade to version 2.2. :D
Voltor07,
are you familiar with the improvements inside this new version of firmware?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat May 16, 2009 2:37 pm

nikola wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:Little Phatty upgrade is imminent, Captain. Prepare for upgrade to version 2.2. :D
Voltor07,
I used to be. I know that mixed case letters will now be supported, and that the Arpeggiator will be more functional due to the BPM being more precise...other things too. It's been a while since it was first announced.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

darkartois

Post by darkartois » Sat May 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Is this the Rekon editor? I was told it was delayed until Fall. Fingers crossed :D
www.myspace.com/darkartois

nikola

Post by nikola » Sat May 16, 2009 3:34 pm

Voltor07 wrote:
nikola wrote:
Voltor07,
I used to be. I know that mixed case letters will now be supported, and that the Arpeggiator will be more functional due to the BPM being more precise...other things too. It's been a while since it was first announced.
I was kind of hoping for aftertouch and maybe even a filter envelope cycle reset:)

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Sat May 16, 2009 6:26 pm

How does one do the upgrades on a stage one?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:24 pm

Cole Gaskins wrote:How does one do the upgrades on a stage one?
Whaddya want? The side panel, or the software? They are both easy.

For the software upgrade, you first download the OS from the Moog website when it becomes available, then transfer the OS using Sys Ex Librarian for Mac or MIDI OX for Windows by plugging a USB to MIDI device into your stuff. I use an M-Audio UNO, but an M-Audio 1x1, 2x2, or other MIDI/USB device should work fine. Some manufacturers have certain settings that need to be disabled, so keep that in mind when researching a good device. The M-Audio stuff works well out of the box.

The side panel can easily be done. First, order the side panel for $100 USD, or 1/3 Moog Financial Unit. Then unscrew the old side panel. You may also want to flop down the front panel to better access the cables. Unhook said cables. No soldering involved here. :wink: plug the cables on the new side panel into their corresponding places where the old cables went. Don't worry, there's no way you can screw this up. :wink:

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Sat May 16, 2009 11:37 pm

Thanks Voltor07! That's exactly what I needed to hear. EASY

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat May 16, 2009 11:56 pm

Cole Gaskins wrote:Thanks Voltor07! That's exactly what I needed to hear. EASY
Yep, as long as you utilize good MIDI devices, (I like the UNO, personally), making the change to a Stage II sans black rear panel is easy. :mrgreen:

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Sun May 17, 2009 6:39 am

...yep, I had opened up mine last year to do an I/O board swap (Moog sent the replacement part) ...

just be very careful of static electricity... I'm pretty sure that's what fried my board in the first place... and I'm pretty careful about it in the first place.

The actual repair was easy.. took about 10 minutes...

I should have taken a picture of the insides... everything is attached underneath the panel... there is almost nothing on the floor of the synth or in the rear section.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun May 17, 2009 12:32 pm

jgirv wrote:...yep, I had opened up mine last year to do an I/O board swap (Moog sent the replacement part) ...

just be very careful of static electricity... I'm pretty sure that's what fried my board in the first place... and I'm pretty careful about it in the first place.

The actual repair was easy.. took about 10 minutes...

I should have taken a picture of the insides... everything is attached underneath the panel... there is almost nothing on the floor of the synth or in the rear section.
That is correct. Also worth noting, there are several test point terminals on the panel boards with various voltages. +2.5, +/-5, +/-10, and +/-15. Some of these could be utilized as long as the person doing the mods knew what they were doing. Pitch/Filter out, anyone? :wink:

DISCLAIMER: I do not condone soldering jacks to test points. Any and all modifications to the Little Phatty should be discussed with Amos first. Preferably, all mods should be done by Amos whenever possible. :)

darjammar

Post by darjammar » Tue May 19, 2009 2:13 am

Last edited by darjammar on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

uediker_moog

OS 2.1 (not 2.2 as noted prior at the Sound Tower web site)

Post by uediker_moog » Tue May 19, 2009 3:32 am

Hi

Moog and Sound Tower have released version 2.1 (firmware and editor can be found on the Little Phatty pages on http://www.moogmusic.com/littlephatty/)

Enjoy it,

Martin