Knob Tweak LP Patch Contest-Personal Thoughts

Everything Phatty.
jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:14 pm

GregAE wrote: Regarding the band Japan, their sound draws a bit on Chinese/Japanese musical influences (but it's still art-rock). Most of the synth sounds you will hear on their recordings were done using a Prophet 5 and Roland System 100 (sadly, no Moogs). In their early days, Japan was more of a punk band, but are largely remembered as an '80's art band today. To check them out, try the "Oil On Canvas" or "Tin Drum" albums, or search iTunes for such songs as "Art Of Parties", "Cantonese Boy", "Ghosts", "Still Life In Mobile Homes" and "Visions Of China".
Japan are great, the Tin Drum album is so good, the perfect mix of oriental and pop music. But don't forget to mention the "Quiet Life" or "Gentlemen take Polaroids" albums, they're classic in their own right. Could've been done by a completely different band (other than vocals) as far as being compared with Tin Drum goes, but still great.
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

Assar

Re: More patches posted

Post by Assar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:27 am

soundxplorer wrote: But here's what you do: create a free web-based email account (Gmail, whatever, even use the Yahoo address you create when joining KnobTweak) then use that address to sign up for everything. Treat it as a junk "web" email account that you never have to check.
Yes, I've done that since long ago ...
I have a junk mail Hotmail address for years. Now Microsoft has arranged so you can't read you Hotmail if you use Firefox (thank you, Bill!). So I got to get another junk email address and change junk mail address on every site my Hotmail address is registered on and that I want to use. This proprietary ambitions on the internet is really getting to much ...

But still, you are right. Everyone should have a private email address, a personal email address, and a public email address!

My advice remains: Don't force people to register on a special site to participate in such contests.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

GregAE

Re: More patches posted

Post by GregAE » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:13 am

Assar wrote: My advice remains: Don't force people to register on a special site to participate in such contests.
Assar -

KnobTweak wasn't set up just for this contest. KnobTweak is an independent Moog gear support web site that is not affiliated with Moog Music, nor sponsored by them. It was established to provide a place where all Moog gear enthusiasts can share patches, information, techniques and ideas and keep it all archived and organized - something that a forum (like this one) can't provide. To my knowledge, there is no other site like KnobTweak anywhere.

The Programmer's Challenge was set up as a way to motivate KT members to create and submit LP patches that can be shared by others, and have a bit of fun while doing so. These patches will remain on KT after the challenge is over, so that current and future KT members will be able to access them.

KnobTweak is a Yahoo Groups site, so you must have a Yahoo account in order to join KT. I understand your objections for not wanting to sign up for a Yahoo account, but the registration is a requirement of Yahoo, not mine. (I receive no personal gain from KnobTweak, BTW - I do it simply for the enjoyment of it).

I hope you will reconsider and decide to join KnobTweak at some point. There a wealth of great information there, and members continue to add new things almost daily. :)

- Greg

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:40 pm

Assar, it's interesting that you can't read Hotmail on Firefox, yet I can access my Hotmail on Safari. One would think that if they blocked one competitor, they'd block all of them. :?

BTW, Bill Gates is no longer a part of Microsoft. He's spending all his money on Africa's water supply, or something. His plant is responsible for all the nonsense going on with Hotmail and Windows. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:12 pm

Thanks to David Dupuy for his latest entry, called 'ABOOGIBASS", and a reminder that Friday, April 17, is the last day to submit patches for the LP Programmer's Challenge on KT.

Tweak on!

- Greg

Modularfan

Post by Modularfan » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Posted on KnobTweak earlier today:

"The LP Programmer's Challenge is now closed, and no more entries are being accepted for the contest. In all, nine participants submitted 14 Leads, 7 Basses, and 4 SFX patches.

Polls will open on Monday for voting, and will be open through Friday (April 24) to allow KT members time to download and check out the patches, and determine their favorites in each category.

Suggestion for evaluating patches:

When auditioning a patch, try it with and without effects. If the author of the patch provided performance notes regarding playing and/or selecting effects, be sure to try those as well (especially true for SFX patches). Try playing in different styles and tempos – it will allow you to really exercise the patch and see what you can do with it. The best patches will inspire you to keep playing – and that's a good thing! Lastly, take your time and give each patch its due. You may wish to check out the patches over several days to see if your impressions of them change (they might).

Let the evaluation begin!"

Cue the American Idol music...

- MF

ROYALEFATALE

Post by ROYALEFATALE » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:32 am

someone rehost these presets outside of the knobtweak group, throw em' in a zip file and upload to zshare/megaupload/mediafire, for the people that don't want to/can't join the group

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:26 pm

My personal favorite patch is WEIRD TYMPANI. It's all kinds of fun with my ribbon controller. :mrgreen:

ROYALEFATALE, I understand where you're coming from, but that would kinda kill the purpose of Knob Tweak as KT's the only place you can get this stuff. :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

GregAE

Two Days Left to Vote

Post by GregAE » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:04 am

A reminder that there are just two days left to vote for your favorite patches in the LP Programmer's Challenge on KnobTweak. The polls close after Friday, so if you haven't already done it, check out those patches and vote soon!

- Greg

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:27 am

I got some trouble with LP right now, some patches being silent even after warming up, but I'll drop my vote tonight
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson