LFO rate ?

Everything Phatty.
Sir Nose

LFO rate ?

Post by Sir Nose » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:13 pm

Can the LFO rate be set to follow the keyboard?

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:38 am

Sorry if this is a total newb question. I would like to get the LFO rate to increase as I move up the keyboard and descrease as I move down. I want the rate to be way slower than the oscillators.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Nope. I can't get mine to do that. Which is not to say it's impossible, though it very well might be. If the LFO rate is assignable to MIDI and you have a program that can send MIDI info(I don't use MIDI myself, so I have no idea how that works) you might be able to pull it off. :?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:43 pm

... what do you mean "if you have a program that can send MIDI" ... any sequencer or DAW would be able to do that, including free ones.

AFAIK, MIDI control CAN be a problem in controlling the very heart of an analog synth (but in the LP the resolution of MIDI tied to the filter cutoff is very large indeed) BUT:

It is an incredibly stable and useful protocol for sending note information, and a great help to programmers in storage.

The timing/accuarcy of MIDI's parts per quarter has ceased being an issue for many years now. And for those of us playing live, the combination of MIDI equipment processors with CV control where possible is a great addition to our rigs. It's not a badge of honor to say you don't use it.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:50 pm

If you had a Voyager, Osc 3 would do exactly that, since the keyboard pitch voltage would be modulating the Osc and Osc 3 would be in LFO mode.

I don't know if this is possible on a Phatty.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:03 pm

EricK wrote:If you had a Voyager....
also, with a voyager/vx-351, you could use the keyboard pitch CV to control the LFO rate

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:04 pm

Thanks for the info.

The midi route is the only way I can think of. Take note value and use that in an algorithm to create a CC message to set the LFO rate. I don't think that will be quick or smooth enough to make the change as I play the note, just guessing. My knowlege of Midi is limited. Maybe turn off local control, set the midi out note info to be "processed" and have the note info arrive with the CC message for the LFO rate. I have no idea how to pull this off or with what hardware/software would be needed.

If anyone pulls this off on the LP please post.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:27 pm

MAX (soon to be available as Max for Live) can do this easily.
All you need to do is map MIDI note number to MIDI CC#3.

Regarding the resolution of the filter via MIDI, it's better than you think. CC19 is only 7-bit (128 steps) but you can send paired 14-bit MIDI messages from any host that supports 14-bit MIDI... in this case the MSB is CC19 and the LSB is CC51, thus you get 16,384 steps of resolution. :-)

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:51 pm

...and if anyone claims they can hear stepping in that kind of resolution, time to call the major studios and let them know they're available as a pair of golden ears... :lol: