Moog Polyphony

Everything Phatty.
oversee

Moog Polyphony

Post by oversee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:16 am

I was lucky enough to come across a Voyager RME used this week. After coming home and trying it out on its own, the first thing I wanted to do was connect it to my LPSE I as I, and others around here it seems, have been burning to hear a little two voice Moog action.

Inspired by Erick from the Rhthymicons' videos, I've decided to try my hand at a very short clip.

http://vimeo.com/3917492

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:46 am

THAT'S what I'm talkin' about! :D Awesome vid! Great sounds! Need more voices! :twisted:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:51 am

Wow, that's amazing. Even just having duophony as opposed to monophony would open us SO many doors to the sounds you can get out of Moogs.
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:38 am

Oh hell yeah! I do believe sir that this is the first video of polyphony.

Ive been waiting for this.

Frankly, I have never been overly excited about a polyphonic Moog but hearing this really makes me change my mind about that.

SOunded like an accrdion.

THanks for the props too.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Khoral

Post by Khoral » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:46 am

Great!
Well, I myself would be totally excited about, say, a 4-voice Moog
I find a bit tedious to record 4 different parts when I want a nice Moog pad (and yes, I actually do that from time to time)
https//www.facebook.com/khoral80

"Children are the future... that's why they must be stopped" - H. J. Simpson

r05c03

Post by r05c03 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:44 am

would I be able to to that with my LP and my Future Retro XS?
MF-102, MF-107, MF-m105, CP-251, MP-201, Elektron Octatrack, Filter Factory...

oversee

Post by oversee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:16 pm

Thanks everyone.

I agree polyphony is not anywhere near essential, but even having just two voices opens up a lot of sound options. Unexpectedly for me, it also closes some options too. If you don't create matching patches, same sounding, between the two synths you sort of lose your ability to play smoothly from note to note, legato I think it's called. I definitely change my style of play when firing two synths with independent voices from the same keyboard using Moog's first note, second note polyphony mode.

I'm not sure how polyphony might work between different synths like a Moog and a Future Retro, for example. I don't have a lot of MIDI experience. It depends on if the Future Retro has a similar note priority option, I guess. Even if you can't get two voices, just having two synths synced up can allow for huge patches if you want a truly monstrous mono-synth.

Regarding the tone, Erick, the RME is on its Hammond patch run through the Freq for texture and distorted with my amps OD Trim, while the LP is running a patch I quickly threw together to compliment the RME's sound. Not exactly a traditional Moog sound, but I sort of enjoyed it.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:44 pm

in order to achieve polyphonic response w/ multiple moog units one would need to have a polyphony-supported midi-cv converter. I'm not aware if there are any that exist outside of the modular world... anybody know if there's one similar to the Kenton ones that supports polyphonic midi-cv?
www.ctrlshft.com

Najati

Post by Najati » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:01 pm

That's so hot.

I want 4.