Swooshes and Swells

Everything Phatty.
PersonalPan

Swooshes and Swells

Post by PersonalPan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:37 pm

I've been in a rut with my preset programming as of late. Trying to make sounds that will grow and swell with some MOD Wheel manipulation. All that I seem to be coming up with are sharp static distortion sounds. So what I'm asking is: Does anyone have any idea of a good path to take in programming organic growing sounds for the LP?

Thanks!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:56 pm

It's times like this I regret not saving my Stage I presets. :x
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

wooperman

Post by wooperman » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:24 pm

Are the Stage I presets no longer available? Or do you mean presets you contructed?

As for the organic sounds. Well first, have you joined that yahoo user group called knob tweakers (or something similar)? A guy from there is often inviting people to join, but I dont have the exact details.

I was about to type in a suggestion but I went to test it out on mine first, and I can't dial up organic at the moment either...how ever it did sound like a grasshopper rubbing it's legs together, but thats brobably not the organic you are talking about.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:27 pm

I'm guessing you want to make sounds from scratch - ie: not presets.

Start small. Add gradually. Choose different.

Start Small - start with a single osc. Pick whatever waveform speaks to you at the moment.

Add gradually - tweak the filter and/or amplifier envelopes so the sound fades in, or begins suddenly, whatever you prefer, but do one at a time.

Choose different - set the LFO to a low amount and slow rate and pick what you want it to effect. Pick something that you might not otherwise pick. If you always modulate the filter with your LFO - force yourself to choose differently.

Once you get this basic sound happening - save it - explore from there - add the second oscillator - SLOWLY move the frequency just off the first until you can barely hear the beating of the two oscillators. Then tweak a little more - but be subtle.

There is definitely a place for crazy osc sync solos but my Moog gear really shines when I play subtle with it. Listen in headphones and play subtle and you will be rewarded.

Hope this helps you to "think differently" ;-)
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:56 pm

wooperman wrote:Are the Stage I presets no longer available? Or do you mean presets you contructed?

As for the organic sounds. Well first, have you joined that yahoo user group called knob tweakers (or something similar)? A guy from there is often inviting people to join, but I dont have the exact details.

I was about to type in a suggestion but I went to test it out on mine first, and I can't dial up organic at the moment either...how ever it did sound like a grasshopper rubbing it's legs together, but thats brobably not the organic you are talking about.
1) I mean the presets I had saved. I had a number of swells and swooshes, as well as the Welcome to the Machine Pink Floyd sound. :x

2) Knob Tweak. That "guy", GregAE, you speak of works for Moog, you know. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Here's a simple possiblilty; assign a slow saw LFO to the pitch of Osc. 2 or to wave. Sync Osc. 2 to osc. 1. Osc. 1 should have a lower octave than 2. Add some reverb and delay. Change the LFOs wave for variety.

It's been a while since I looked at my LP. I am assuming you can assign the LFO to OSc. 2's pitch.

Now if you have any foogers, you can start adding slow LFOs to the filter or add a touch of noise.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:46 am

For the welcome to the machine windy sound you probably had the 6th mod source set to noise (in the preset menu).

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:34 pm

Sir Nose wrote:For the welcome to the machine windy sound you probably had the 6th mod source set to noise (in the preset menu).
It wasn't the windy sound...it was that sound you hear after "Welcome...to...the machine" That flapping-type sound. Hard to describe it, though I can hear it in my head.

Gord Newman

Post by Gord Newman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:54 pm

You can add some swooshing by assigning mod wheel to wave. Use an expression pedal to control filter cutoff by plugging it into the cv in filter jack, for some swelling goodness. You got feet, use 'em!

Cheers,
Gord
Playing classic rock using: LP Stage 1, Roland VK 8, Korg SV 1-73, DSI Mopho, Roland XV 5080 and Neo Ventilator.

PersonalPan

Post by PersonalPan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:58 pm

Sweet! Thanks for the info people. I will try some of it out and see what happens. Will post any interesting discoveries or painful roadblocks.

jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:35 am

Voltor07 wrote:
Sir Nose wrote:For the welcome to the machine windy sound you probably had the 6th mod source set to noise (in the preset menu).
It wasn't the windy sound...it was that sound you hear after "Welcome...to...the machine" That flapping-type sound. Hard to describe it, though I can hear it in my head.
Are you talking about the huge solo? The best thing about that song (other than the rest of it)?

I've tried to make the solo lead sound on my phatty, it sounds pretty convincing if you run it through some delay.
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:02 pm

jamezdd73 wrote:
Voltor07 wrote:
Are you talking about the huge solo? The best thing about that song (other than the rest of it)?

I've tried to make the solo lead sound on my phatty, it sounds pretty convincing if you run it through some delay.
Yeah, that too. But that's not the sound I'm thinking of. I did have the solo sound programmed, though I never used it much. I used the flapping sound a lot, though. Geez, I wish I saved at least that one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbifrXX2Ltw 2:20 in you can hear the flapping sound.