CV/Gate output modification?

Everything Phatty.
soundxplorer

CV/Gate output modification?

Post by soundxplorer » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm thinking I'd like to modify my LP to have CV/Gate outputs. I figured I could just use the CV/Gate input jacks that are already there instead of drilling new holes.

Has anyone else thought of this, or tried it? In theory, it should be as simple as locating the CV/Gate signals on the circuit board and tapping into them. Or, am I missing something? What sort of problems could I run into?

(Edit: I'm cheap, so I'm thinking about this instead of buying an external MIDI-CV converter box).

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:38 pm

Well of corse you will be voiding your warranty.

If you give them a little time Im sure they will make a breakout box with voltage outs or you could just get a midi to cv converter.

Im sure what you propose could be done though but the schematics are intellectual properties at this time soyou won't find any of those anywhere to tell you where to begin.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

varice

Post by varice » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:03 pm

soundxplorer wrote:I'm thinking I'd like to modify my LP to have CV/Gate outputs. I figured I could just use the CV/Gate input jacks that are already there instead of drilling new holes.
I modified my Nord Modular G2X to get a CV output to control the frequency cutoff of my MF-101:

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12266
soundxplorer wrote:In theory, it should be as simple as locating the CV/Gate signals on the circuit board and tapping into them. Or, am I missing something? What sort of problems could I run into?
Since the output signal that you pick may not be buffered, you would need to be careful about shorts, static electric charges, etc. Another thing to keep in mind is that the CV signal may need to be scaled to properly control your external gear.

What CV signal do you want to output? The pitch CV signal might be a bit tricky. The LP tuning process could work against you, causing you to have to retune external VCOs more often than you would like...

If you try it - Good Luck! Be sure to keep us up to date.
varice

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:09 pm

Actually, the pitch CV is located right on the main boards. It wouldn't be too terribly difficult to access it, though it WILL most likely throw the tuning off. I can tell you I had to access the +5 volt terminals to get my wheel lights done. I might suggest contacting Amos first. Maybe if you buy the parts and send them with your LP to the factory, you'll only be charged for labor? I'm sure Amos would agree to such terms. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

soundxplorer

Post by soundxplorer » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like there is more to consider than I thought.
I think I'll just get an external MIDI/CV converter instead and save any potential headaches.