Ideas for the Little Phatty Stage III?

Everything Phatty.
Post Reply
CTRLSHFT
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: boulder, co
Contact:

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun May 17, 2009 10:21 pm

just thought of another real basic feature that would be handy:

an advanced setting allowing you to leave the VCA open instead of having it be gate controlled.

sure, you can do this by simply deadpatching the kb gate cv in, but if you could program that, it'd be much more handy as you could save the setting in certain patches and just flick to them, ready to tweak drums,etc!

it would be really nice to not have to grab a cable and dig around on the left panel every time i wanna set up an aux send with the LP. the less hassle, the longer I get to twist knobs and make music. :)

if this could be done in software, it'd sure be cool to have.
www.ctrlshft.com

User avatar
Voltor07
Posts: 5195
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 3:04 am
Location: Waukegan, IL USA
Contact:

Post by Voltor07 » Sun May 17, 2009 11:25 pm

CTRLSHFT, that is a nifty idea, but I'm not sure if it would be implementable through software. Also, how many other users would want or use such a thing? I know I would use it. Any other takers? :D
Sub 37 #000068, Minitaur, CP-251, MF-102&103, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ.

CTRLSHFT
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: boulder, co
Contact:

Post by CTRLSHFT » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:21 pm

Another idea for the next edition of the Little Phatty (or next firmware update,) not sure if this one has been mentioned before :

The ability to press MORE than one button in any given section w/ a RAC knob on it, in order to control MULTIPLE functions with one knob twist. Say for example holding down the filter and resonance buttons at the same time, so that you could adjust the RAC knob and simultaneously effect the two parameters in the same direction. A simple press on just one option (say Filter), and you'd be back to only one function selected and one LED lit.

Sure this might have limited use in playing applications, but then again, the only other synth I've played as of late that could do something like this is the Nord Lead series, which has a morph control which lets you set a bunch of parameters to be all controlled by one knob. I think it'd be really cool!

Twist around both osc waveforms at the same time, adjust filter env attack and decay at the same time. LFO amount and speed at the same time. All of these functions would be pretty handy on stage and just in general from a creativity stand point.

Maybe the buttons selected choices could be limitless, IE you could press the filter/resonance/overdrive/EGR amount/KB amount buttons at the same time, and use the RAC knob to adjust ALL of the them one way or the other at the same time.

If this is physically possible by nature of design for the RAC knobs, it'd be a really nice feature to look into.
www.ctrlshft.com

Bryan T
Posts: 812
Joined: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:23 pm

Post by Bryan T » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:23 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:Another idea for the next edition of the Little Phatty (or next firmware update,) not sure if this one has been mentioned before :

The ability to press MORE than one button in any given section w/ a RAC knob on it, in order to control MULTIPLE functions with one knob twist. Say for example holding down the filter and resonance buttons at the same time, so that you could adjust the RAC knob and simultaneously effect the two parameters in the same direction. A simple press on just one option (say Filter), and you'd be back to only one function selected and one LED lit.

Sure this might have limited use in playing applications, but then again, the only other synth I've played as of late that could do something like this is the Nord Lead series, which has a morph control which lets you set a bunch of parameters to be all controlled by one knob. I think it'd be really cool!

Twist around both osc waveforms at the same time, adjust filter env attack and decay at the same time. LFO amount and speed at the same time. All of these functions would be pretty handy on stage and just in general from a creativity stand point.

Maybe the buttons selected choices could be limitless, IE you could press the filter/resonance/overdrive/EGR amount/KB amount buttons at the same time, and use the RAC knob to adjust ALL of the them one way or the other at the same time.

If this is physically possible by nature of design for the RAC knobs, it'd be a really nice feature to look into.
That's a cool idea. I do a lot of morphing via MIDI, but it would be cool to be able to do it on the LP. I'd want to control it from the mod wheel.

Bryan

User avatar
Voltor07
Posts: 5195
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 3:04 am
Location: Waukegan, IL USA
Contact:

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:12 am

CTRLSHFT wrote:Another idea for the next edition of the Little Phatty (or next firmware update,) not sure if this one has been mentioned before :

The ability to press MORE than one button in any given section w/ a RAC knob on it, in order to control MULTIPLE functions with one knob twist. Say for example holding down the filter and resonance buttons at the same time, so that you could adjust the RAC knob and simultaneously effect the two parameters in the same direction. A simple press on just one option (say Filter), and you'd be back to only one function selected and one LED lit.

Sure this might have limited use in playing applications, but then again, the only other synth I've played as of late that could do something like this is the Nord Lead series, which has a morph control which lets you set a bunch of parameters to be all controlled by one knob. I think it'd be really cool!

Twist around both osc waveforms at the same time, adjust filter env attack and decay at the same time. LFO amount and speed at the same time. All of these functions would be pretty handy on stage and just in general from a creativity stand point.

Maybe the buttons selected choices could be limitless, IE you could press the filter/resonance/overdrive/EGR amount/KB amount buttons at the same time, and use the RAC knob to adjust ALL of the them one way or the other at the same time.

If this is physically possible by nature of design for the RAC knobs, it'd be a really nice feature to look into.
I like it! This is my new favorite suggestion! :D
Sub 37 #000068, Minitaur, CP-251, MF-102&103, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ.

CTRLSHFT
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: boulder, co
Contact:

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:58 pm

One more idea! :)

Something that's always tweaked me about the LP is that it's octave settings allow it to get plenty low, but I always feel like I'd enjoy being to play another octave or so down sometimes.

If possible to employ, it'd be cool if they could make the LP kb octave button go down one more octave, the LED could stay the same color at the lowest setting, but the kb would play another octave down.

I know this is possible to do using MIDI, i've played notes lower than the LP's kb can on the piano roll in Cubase, so if possible, this would be a great feature to implement, maybe even just in firmware if possible!

Another idea in the same vein: The ability to transpose the kb settings by semitone, maybe +48...-48. My Virus TI has this feature, and it's rather handy for creating bass patches and keeping the octave switch in normal (C3?) position (not lit.) I use my LP as my MIDI controller, so this would be really handy.
www.ctrlshft.com

User avatar
Voltor07
Posts: 5195
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 3:04 am
Location: Waukegan, IL USA
Contact:

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:10 pm

An interesting idea, but isn't that why Moog reissued the Taurus pedals? For extreme bass? The LP can go below 20Hz as it is...but only with certain patches. Are you suggesting going that low on ALL patches? :?
Sub 37 #000068, Minitaur, CP-251, MF-102&103, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ.

CTRLSHFT
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: boulder, co
Contact:

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Voltor07 wrote:An interesting idea, but isn't that why Moog reissued the Taurus pedals? For extreme bass? The LP can go below 20Hz as it is...but only with certain patches. Are you suggesting going that low on ALL patches? :?
I'm suggesting being able to go an octave lower on patches when I want to without having to use outside midi intervention.

Not sure if they limited the octave switches/omitted transposition in order to ensure good tuning or what, but the Voyager kb can go lower (even when keeping it at 16'), I'd like that flexibility in my LP if it's possible.
www.ctrlshft.com

User avatar
Voltor07
Posts: 5195
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 3:04 am
Location: Waukegan, IL USA
Contact:

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:34 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
I'm suggesting being able to go an octave lower on patches when I want to without having to use outside midi intervention.

Not sure if they limited the octave switches/omitted transposition in order to ensure good tuning or what, but the Voyager kb can go lower (even when keeping it at 16'), I'd like that flexibility in my LP if it's possible.
Ah...thanks for clarifying. :D Yeah, that'd be good. Your previous suggestion is still my favorite, though. This one's good, too.
Sub 37 #000068, Minitaur, CP-251, MF-102&103, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ.

User avatar
Voltor07
Posts: 5195
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 3:04 am
Location: Waukegan, IL USA
Contact:

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:49 am

It seems Amos is looking for ideas (scouring might be a more appropriate term) so I am giving this thread a bumparoonie. :mrgreen:
Sub 37 #000068, Minitaur, CP-251, MF-102&103, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ.

Flash Gordon
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:19 am

Post by Flash Gordon » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:45 am

I would like to add another vote for a sequencer. Even if it is software based. The signal path will still be 100% analog.

User avatar
Assar
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:48 pm
Location: Sweden, Stockholm
Contact:

Post by Assar » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:14 am

Flash Gordon wrote:I would like to add another vote for a sequencer. Even if it is software based. The signal path will still be 100% analog.
Totally agree!
Much more useful than an arpeggiator ...
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

jamezdd73
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post by jamezdd73 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:40 am

+1 for a sequencer.
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

CTRLSHFT
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:24 pm
Location: boulder, co
Contact:

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:38 pm

For those interested in a sequencer: the lcd screen would be a pain for programming steps on, what about something like the sh101 has where you play out the seq while it is recording? i don't really see anything like the dsi seq coming to the LP, it would make more sense for them to create an analog seq in a cp-251 enclosure to attract voyager owners as well.
www.ctrlshft.com

User avatar
DeFrag
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:21 am
Location: Wa, USA
Contact:

Post by DeFrag » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:53 pm

Then, update the screen!

I simply *must* have a sequencer from Moog...
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Post Reply