Ideas for the Little Phatty Stage III?

Everything Phatty.
Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:22 pm

DeFrag wrote:Then, update the screen!

I simply *must* have a sequencer from Moog...
You'll be hearing no argument here! This is number 1 on my list as well!
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Assar

Post by Assar » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:33 pm

It is definitely possible to handle a simple sequenser with the LP screen. First you choose note value and verify it with the Enter button. Then you tap in the notes, use the Value button to switch between Tie and Paus and choose it with the Enter button.

Voilá!
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Little Phatty TE #1045 | Etherwave Theremin
Stockholm, Sweden - - - Listen at: assar.se

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:05 pm

Assar wrote:It is definitely possible to handle a simple sequenser with the LP screen. First you choose note value and verify it with the Enter button. Then you tap in the notes, use the Value button to switch between Tie and Paus and choose it with the Enter button.

Voilá!
It's doable, indeed, just kinda not pretty. Anyone who has used the Alesis Micron for instance knows what I'm talking about.

I think the best method would be to try and emulate X0X style button-sequencers. As for how many sequences and parameters the LP could handle? That depends on Moog can shore up, I have no idea on how taxing something like this would be.

Here's a little animated mock-up I made to showcase the idea (be patient it's like 2mb):

Similar to the Arpeggiator, you could enable the SEQ mode with pressing down the VALUE knob, and latch the SEQ with Enter, but triggering the SEQ would still be a key-driven function.
www.ctrlshft.com

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:55 am

Awesome!
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:49 am

CTRLSHFT, most amazing! Of course, it goes without saying that the Stage III will have the CV out mod that is currently being offered, as well as this most excellent sequencer. :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

patobrujo

Post by patobrujo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:57 am

I want it!!!! :D really nice!
..::PATOBRUJO::..

RAH

Post by RAH » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:46 am

That would be great! Nice mock-up.

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:44 am

Voltor07 wrote:CTRLSHFT, most amazing! Of course, it goes without saying that the Stage III will have the CV out mod that is currently being offered, as well as this most excellent sequencer. :D
But of course. Really if they could tackle only those two things it'd make for a whole new level of product. ;)

I'm still hoping they'll make a select series for the lp's as well, i think they could make a fortune with buyer knowledge they already have from the ss voyagers. They should look at which ones sold the best and pick like the top 3 led and wood selections to mix and match from. If they could offer upgrades too that'd be killer.
www.ctrlshft.com

Christopher Winkels

Post by Christopher Winkels » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:54 pm

CTRLSHFT wrote:
Assar wrote:It is definitely possible to handle a simple sequenser with the LP screen. First you choose note value and verify it with the Enter button. Then you tap in the notes, use the Value button to switch between Tie and Paus and choose it with the Enter button.

Voilá!
It's doable, indeed, just kinda not pretty. Anyone who has used the Alesis Micron for instance knows what I'm talking about.

I think the best method would be to try and emulate X0X style button-sequencers. As for how many sequences and parameters the LP could handle? That depends on Moog can shore up, I have no idea on how taxing something like this would be.

Here's a little animated mock-up I made to showcase the idea (be patient it's like 2mb):

Similar to the Arpeggiator, you could enable the SEQ mode with pressing down the VALUE knob, and latch the SEQ with Enter, but triggering the SEQ would still be a key-driven function.
You're the man!

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:02 pm

I think all of these can be implemented in software if there is room.

As previously stated, be able to transpose the octave one step lower.

LFO retrigger when a note is played with phase shift if possible

manual retrigger LFO button (press and hold amount button till blinking, then tap to retrigger) that way sequences can sound the same each time

I would really like to be able to set a muliplier (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 3, 4) for the LFO amount and rate going to the 2nd destination. This seems really easy to do for amount, rate might require 2 LFOs.

ARP

Post by ARP » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:10 am

That would seal the deal for me ! Nice job :D
"Although they heard the music..they didn't understand the tune"

haiku-ish

Post by haiku-ish » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:09 pm

a random patch generator as the one in the waldorf pulse...

CTRLSHFT

The Wish List

Post by CTRLSHFT » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:43 pm

Thought I'd go and compile everything on this thread here for us to stew on a bit further and expand upon.

Various Firmware upgrades/System Upgrades/Physical Upgrades:

-Step Sequencer

-CV Outs (Mod is available now, but this would be standard on SEIIIs)

-Polyphony, ie: Split one OSC per voice for Duophony

-Glide speed mode, change between time and distance

-Stereo Outs

-Random Patch Generator

-Aftertouch

-More memory for patch banks

-Select Series Phatties. All LED color and wood types currently available to the Voyager would be available for selection w/ the phatty

-A dedicated mixer section

-Advanced setting allowing you to leave the VCA open instead of having it be gate controlled

-The ability to press MORE than one button in any given section w/ a RAC knob on it, in order to control MULTIPLE functions with one knob twist

-Make the LP kb octave button go down one more octave

Modulation Section:

-Extra LFO

-LFO retrigger when a note is played with phase shift if possible

-Manual retrigger LFO button (press and hold amount button till blinking, then tap to retrigger) that way sequences can sound the same each time

-Set a muliplier (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 3, 4) for the LFO amount and rate going to the 2nd destination

-Pan as mod destination option (if stereo outs were available)

Oscillator Section:

-3rd Oscillator (It's called the Voyager)

-Sub Oscillator

Filter Section:

-2nd filter section

-High pass filter/Bandpass filter/Comb filter/Formant filter

-Vocoder (not gonna happen in analog land at this price!)

Envelope Section:

-Envelope Hold (AHDSR)

-Envelope Delay (DADSR, just thought of this one)

-----------------------------------------

OK, so that's pretty much it. I think there's some great, implementable ideas in here, and also some that are awesome but seriously wishful thinking considering what the Little Phatty is all about and what else Moog sells.

I think the 3rd Osc and 2nd LFO are very unlikely, this is Voyager territory, it wouldn't make sense for them to step on it's feet.

On the other hand, I think many of the firmware ideas are very do-able, and worthwhile. The CV output mod is so darn awesome I hope they can find a way to offer it on the Phatty standard.

The step sequencer is not asking too much, but may be hard to implement, we'll see on that. I hope you can tie notes together!
www.ctrlshft.com

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:42 pm

Nice compliation :D

I wonder how much head room there is in the memory of the stage I, II, and upgraded tributes. If a memory upgrade (or any hardware upgrade) will be needed to be compatible with a stage III, I'd wait to get the CV out mod to get it all done at once. A trip to the local fortune teller is in order.

denoiser

Post by denoiser » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:17 pm

An easy one, I guess.

No destination in MOD section. This will be useful only when using the CV out for the LFO.

For instance, you want the LFO to be the carrier of the MF 102 ring modulator or just to patch the LFO to the VOL CV input to modulate amplitude. Whis way the LFO won't modulate anything else.