Ideas for the Little Phatty Stage III?

Everything Phatty.
JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:18 pm

Main wishes

- Noise Waveform for the OSC
- More space between octave buttons
- Too much options in the master menu, restyling of the front panel to make some of the more important options available (examples: Filter SLope select button, dedicated Arp on/off)
- 3rd Envelope, a simple AR would be nice, option to use this as the filter or amp ENV to make room for a full featured envelope for other functions.
- 2nd LFO (Simple LFO select button would be enough; beneath the current LFO module a selector knob, to see which LFO you're editing, made clear by different colored leds, or even an OLED which shows the 1 or 2 clearly.
- Aftertouch keyboard!
- a 3 octave ribbon controller would be awesome, just above the keys.
- A440 button
- Separate module on the panel for OSC 1 & 2. Extra dial on the front panel and split this.
- Simple analog FX (delay / flanger .. an FX unit based upon time modulated FX, even with only time & feedback options would be awesome

And introduce the Big Phatty..Just like the LP but an extra identical Phatty inside.. for split/layer/poly/unison options. (Prophet 08 style)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:59 am

All amazing ideas in a single post! Epic! :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 am

JWaltman wrote: - Too many options in the master menu
I was giving someone a tour of the Master menu and it occurred to me that
I would far rather scroll to the right longer than have all of these sub-menus.

I can read words quickly, and I can scroll quickly, but many of the more
important parameters are at: scroll, scroll, scroll, Cursor, scroll, Enter, scroll.

At least for me, it makes more sense to have more of the categories at the
top level of scrolling. I don't mind having to scroll longer if it would mean
that I would get to see more of the choices available in the machine in
one big continuous scroll. You learn what's available more efficiently.

It's having to interrupt your scrolling to push another button, then another
button, then more scrolling that really snarls your workflow.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:27 am

it was my point that some of the features found in the menu should have dedicated knobs. Thus reducing the list instead of working with menu's

Can't check what it should be exactly, as my LP is dead.. but should arise from the grave tonight!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:02 pm

JWaltman wrote:It was my point that some of the features found in the menu should have
dedicated knobs. Thus reducing the list instead of working with menus.
Hi J,

Yeah, I got that. But the reality is that some of the more expensive parts of any
electronic instrument are the potentiometers and the circuits that read them.

So any attempt at making a "lower-price-point" synth will always involve using
fewer knobs and switches (or at least not adding any more of them).

With that thought, I'm trying to think of ways to make using the menu easier.

Obviously adding a knob or switch for every parameter is far more elegant....
It's just that it's also far more expensive (see Voyager).

anoteoftruth

Post by anoteoftruth » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:31 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
JWaltman wrote:It was my point that some of the features found in the menu should have
dedicated knobs. Thus reducing the list instead of working with menus.
But the reality is that some of the more expensive parts of any
electronic instrument are the potentiometers and the circuits that read them.

So any attempt at making a "lower-price-point" synth will always involve using
fewer knobs and switches (or at least not adding any more of them).

With that thought, I'm trying to think of ways to make using the menu easier.

Personally, I love knobs and switches, but I'm much more concerned with the sounds I'm getting... hell I would buy a knobless LP if it was super cheap. It makes me think (again as many people have) what stops Moog from making some smaller/affordable table top synth in similar to the DSI format. There are lots of ways to make the menu's more user friendly.
Moog Voyager RME / Moog LP SE 2 / Nord Rack 1 / Microkorg / Korg ER-1 / Triggerfinger / Rocktron Banshee talk box / Ableton live / Guru / Lots of non-electric musical instruments.

The Analog Organist

Post by The Analog Organist » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:05 pm

Even at the cost of a substantial price increase, I would have liked to have seen a knobby version of the Little Phatty. Let the LED screen be dedicated primarily to the memory function, and a knob for each parameter. Yes, it would then be a completely different instrument, but easier and more enjoyable to program. I'd love to see a Moog similar to the Multimoog. The LP is close, but not close enough.

Because of its superb interface, I much prefer the Voyager. But I'd love to add another Moog instrument to my set up.

I wonder if Moog will produce a single-oscillator synthesizer. The Micromoog was, and still is, a very popular instrument. Is it impossible?

kiddell2

LP 3

Post by kiddell2 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:51 am

Im having to laugh at all these suggestions for a stage 3 :P Dont you think there are enough problems with LP2 ( judging by the forum) without adding things to the LP and making it even more complex?!!! more to go wrong dont you think? or do most Americans want things to go wrong, so they can moan about it on the forum, and give poor Amos a migraine :lol:

JWaltman

Post by JWaltman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:46 am

Please don't mistake me for an American.. I'm Dutch.. :twisted:

jgirv

Post by jgirv » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:19 am

...um....this isn't the forum to be taking shots at where people are from... do we want this to degenerate into the typical internet forum? If you have nothing worthwhile to share, please refrain from posting garbage.

_DemonDan_

Re: LP 3

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:25 pm

kiddell2 wrote:Don't you think there are enough problems with LP2 without
adding things to the LP and making it even more complex?
I've been on Beta teams for most of the major synth companies, and have even been on an
Alpha team or two. (I still have a rusty metal box with sticky notes showing where knobs
would someday go on something that was eventually called the TRITON.)

Making suggestions does *not* mean that the company *has* to use the suggestions now.
Suggestions are always appreciated. The argument that people shouldn't send suggestions
to a company that's "busy" is just silly. When a company *is* finally ready to revisit a product
they often gather every suggestion that was sent and then look them over en mass.

Waiting until *you* think a company is ready for your suggestions is usually too late to get
your idea considered for the next release.

Send your suggestions. When they're ready to focus on that product again, they'll read them.

LektroiD

Post by LektroiD » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:23 am

Forget the Stage 3, re-release the Rogue & Prodigy!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:31 pm

LektroiD wrote:Forget the Stage 3, re-release the Rogue & Prodigy!
How about, ummm...no. The Little Phatty comes very close to the sound of those synths. It would be absolutely redundant to re-release those. And yes, I am aware that close is not exact, but come on...let's be reasonable about this. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:35 pm

I am glad for all these suggestions. Don't worry, they are all going on a list for careful consideration.

As for problems with the Stage II, I'm only aware of two real biggies:
1) needs "bulletproof" firmware update / reload ability
2) arp clock source = LFO bug

we're working towards solutions for both of these. No ETA just yet, but we're a small company working at the best pace we can manage. :)

Don't worry LP folks, we are committed to making the Little Phatty as good as it can be, and to continuing support for all of our users.

Best wishes,

Amos

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:14 am

My LP doesn't have the latest OS as it's a Tribute model that would need the memory upgrade, but as it is right now, it works GREAT, sounds great, and does everything I need a synth in that price range to do. For anything else, you can always try to find a RME Voyager... sometimes used ones come up for great prices...