LP Playability Feature Request

Everything Phatty.
earsmack

LP Playability Feature Request

Post by earsmack » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:05 pm

Here is the scenario I experienced:

Playing with a patch that had octave initially set to +1. I repeatedly played a short riff while hitting the octave down button multiple times until I was at max octave down. At this point I wanted to restore the patch to continue playing so I hit the preset button which brought me out of panel mode and back to preset mode. Now...when I went to do the same octave down trick again I tapped the octave down button but alas - it was already maxed out and I immediately jumped down 3 octaves (as opposed to 1 octave 3 times).

One way that this could be addressed would be if you could double-tap on the preset button to have it stay in preset mode and also clear the panel memory. Mind you, I could just hit octave up 3 times really fast but depending on what I'm playing there might not be time to do all that tapping hen the preset button gets me right back to where I want to be.

Thoughts? Is there another work-around for this?
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

CRJ

i

Post by CRJ » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:11 pm

i am a little confused as to what your problem is. so your preset starts out at +1, and the color changes on the button when you change it at all and drop it down to the lowest octave, and then you hit that button to bring it back to the presets original setting, and then what happens? i think you worded it funny and im not getting it. sorry.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Nope - I said what I meant ;-) but let me explain it differently...

1) Patch starts with OCTAVE set to +1 (yellow color for LP Stage II)

2) I press the OCTAVE DOWN BUTTON until it turns RED (3 times) which is also the MAX value (-2) for OCTAVE DOWN. This also causes the LP to switch from PRESET MODE to PANEL MODE.

3) I then press the PRESET BUTTON which brings me back to PRESET MODE *from* PANEL MODE. OCTAVE is back to +1.

4) At this point, if I press the OCTAVE DOWN BUTTON again I expect the octave to go from +1 to 0 but instead the LP goes back to PANEL MODE (upon pressing the OCTAVE DOWN BUTTON) which also means OCTAVE is immediately set to -2.

Does that help explain it? Give it a try and let me know what you think.
Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition + LP Stage II + Sub37 + Model D reissue + CP-251 + VX-351

jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:13 pm

I know what you're talking about, and I'm curious about if there could be a feature added to counteract this also.
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

CRJ

ah

Post by CRJ » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:09 pm

that sounds like a bug. i gotcha.

what patch are you on when you do this?

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:33 pm

The patch doesn't matter but it happens to be 58 Mistinguett.

Brian G

Re: ah

Post by Brian G » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:30 pm

[quote="CRJ"]that sounds like a bug. i gotcha.

:) That’s pretty much what it’s supposed to do Think of it as a compare when you press preset to go back to the original settings stored in memory, when you press preset again you are going back to the edited settings.

Are you trying to use the press oct down while you are playing for a performance effect ? Worst case for now though would be to go to the next preset then back Being able to clear the edit memory could prove useful though .

CRJ

it

Post by CRJ » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:36 pm

it seems like you or me hitting the octave button at any time, regardless of the other stuff, should do just what it is supposed to do and change the octave.

am i missing something? lol

sounds like a bug, or i am not "getting it"

Voltor07

Re: it

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:59 am

CRJ wrote:
sounds like a bug, or i am not "getting it"
If you change, say, filter amount, then adjust the octave button to where you want it, then press preset and then press octave again, the filter amount will go back to the edited value...unless you are in performance mode. In performance mode, you can edit, re-edit to your heart's content without unwanted settings popping up all the time. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:05 am

I understand that some people might want this the way it works now and I agree for most other controls (knobs, etc.) you want it the way it works now. But in this case - in the performance case - the octave switches would be a nice exception.

This is why I offered a potential solution of "double-tapping" the preset button which would bring you back to preset mode and ALSO RESET the panel mode to be the SAME as preset mode again - like you never made a change since changing the last patch.

Anyway...Hopefully Amos and the LP folks will pick this up and might be able to do something with it. Thanks all!

sine

Post by sine » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:47 am

zbq, I understand exactly what you're saying, and I like your double-tapping idea.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:52 am

My casio cz5000 has nifty little button called "compair/recall" and basically what it does is allows you to shift between the original patch and the newly edited one.

So you can do the 3 oct down thing, hit compair/recall and it would be back to the original patch 3 oct up. Then when the riff comes around again, 3 oct down, compair/recall, and back to the orginal again.

I don't have a phatty so im not sure of all the button functions, but maybe in the next upgrade they could add someting like that by holding down the preset button for 2 seconds. Or something along those lines. I thinks its a great feature for any synth

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:53 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:My casio cz5000 has nifty little button called "compair/recall" and basically what it does is allows you to shift between the original patch and the newly edited one.

So you can do the 3 oct down thing, hit compair/recall and it would be back to the original patch 3 oct up. Then when the riff comes around again, 3 oct down, compair/recall, and back to the orginal again.
The PRESET button on the LP functions like this already - that's the problem :-) Maybe something to help clarify - although I think enough people get the issue at this point. If I was just changing the octave from +1 to -2 and going back and forth between those TWO settings then the button works fine as is. However, the performance situation I hoped to describe was like this:

"play some notes - hit octave down - play some more notes - hit octave down - play some more notes - hit octave down."

At this point I am now at octave -2. pressing the PRESET button brings me back to octave +1. however, if I want to repeat the same steps as above, I can not because pressing octave down jumps right to -2 without passing through 0 and -1.

'nuff said :-)

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:34 am

Here's an alternative but may have its own issues. When you get to the bottom of the octave shifts and want to return to the original preset instead of hitting the preset button, roll the preset select knob to a new patch and then back. This will reset the "secondary/altered" preset.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:22 pm

Hi guys!

So, the deal with pressing preset/panel and switching between the stored/unedited sound and the current panel buffer is this: It is a really useful feature for when you are designing a sound and you want to do an A/B comparison without losing any of your changes. This performance trick you're describing is really cool, but I am leary about including any feature that would allow you to blow away your panel buffer settings too quickly and easily. What you are describing is a double-tap to discard the panel buffer, and that makes sense for live performance like you are saying but could be scary if you're in the middle of designing the perfect sound (which only exists in the panel buffer until you save).

So, I am open to thinking about this, but I have an alternative suggestion... the panel buffer is also discarded on patch change. There is an even easier way to do patch changes on the fly than with the Value knob, which would not be my first choice to mess with in the middle of a solo. You could send a patch change message on the fly using a pedal like the MidiMouse (q.v.) -- set the MidiMouse to the patch number of the preset you are playing, and any time you stomp on its stomp switch it should send a command to switch to the preset... this should re-load the original settings AND discard the panel buffer. So do your octave down, down, down, then step on the MidiMouse and you are back to square one and should be able to do the same octave down, down, routine just like the first time.

It might not be as handy as something built into the LP panel, but (A) it doesn't risk blowing away your edits by mistake if you press a panel button the wrong way, and (B) it actually frees up your hands for playing, better than any manually-actuated LP panel function would.

So, something to think about...

-Amos