LP weird tone / noise when using certain pedals

Everything Phatty.
kingfriday

LP weird tone / noise when using certain pedals

Post by kingfriday » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:33 pm

So i just got a Banshee Rocktron talkbox and plugged my LP into it to use as the sound source. Lets just say, it freakin wails!

There is something weird, though. When you are not playing any keys, you can hear a distinct "tone" coming through pretty distinctly. It's basically the sound of the oscillator at whatever note you last pressed, albeit much quiter than the signal that is output when you do press a key. What's even weirder is that after sitting there for a bit ( a few seconds), the tone changes pitch to what sounds like a test (calibration?) tone. It goes to that same pitch every time.

Curious.. So thinking it was the amp inside the Banshee perhaps, so I decided to hook the synth up to my Orange Rocker 30 tube amp and crank it. No weird tone. So i thought that it for sure it was the Banshee. Wrong. I plugged the LP into a Big Muff and turned the knobs up. There was that tone of the last note I pressed again, then a few seconds later, it jumps in pitch to the "test" tone.

Is this just from using certain types of solid state distortion or amps or something? I dont know enough about electrical engineering to say what part of these pedals is causing this, or if it could be something wrong with my LP!! I really dont think the LP should be making any sound if they keys aren't being pressed... Any ideas?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:30 pm

Sometimes guitar pedals are "noisy" due to the fact that guitars cover up most imperfections. Synths on the other hand, do not. So in order to cut costs, guitar effect makers tend to use cheap components which can make noise.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:33 pm

Is tuning set to auto?

If so try changing it to on or off instead and see if you still get the tone.

Just something to try. I have absolutely no real expertise.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:10 pm

I am no expert on this but could it be impedance mismatch? Synths usually have a much hotter signal than that of a guitar's. Most guitar pedals are designed for the lower input from a guitar.
Mark Mahoney
http://www.reverbnation.com/markmahoney
www.cdbaby.com/cd/mmahoneympeck
www.cdbaby.com/cd/markmahoney

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:49 pm

Never thought of that...that definitely has something to do with it. Absolutely!
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.