After an update : the wrong update - Blank Screen and Freeze

Everything Phatty.
waldorffr

After an update : the wrong update - Blank Screen and Freeze

Post by waldorffr » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:01 pm

Hi everbody !

Well, I'm French, sorry for my bad english ^^

I have upgrade the firmware of the Little Phatty Stage 2.0 on my Little Phatty Tribute Edition.
Now the screen is blank and the Little Phatty is freezed.

I have tried to search for the old firmware the 1.03c but i can't find it.

So please help me.
TY very much ^^

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:41 pm

Just make a search on the word blank in only the Little Phatty forum...you will get some results and answers pour vous....;)

waldorffr

Post by waldorffr » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Prime NL wrote:Just make a search on the word blank in only the Little Phatty forum...you will get some results and answers pour vous....;)
TY for the answer, but i have already searching.
But i can't find the OS and the solution for restoring the system ^^

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:28 pm

Am i right if you tried to upgrade your Phatty Tribute Edition with the "standard" Phatty Stage 2 firmware..???

If so....you cannot upgrade the Tribute with the Stage 2 firmware as these are 2 different versions.

Your right in installing the LP_T_103b.zip file again....nothing else will work...
You better ask Amos how to get this firmware as Moog took the firmware away from the official site.

F.y.i. from Amos :

Hi gang,

Here's the latest news, so read carefully.

Operating System v2.00 for the LP Tribute Edition is almost ready. This OS update brings the arpeggiator, tap tempo, and midi sync LFO features to the LP Tribute Edition. This OS update requires a physical memory upgrade to your LP Tribute Edition, as the new 2.0 code is too big to fit on the TE's original memory chip.

We are offering a special factory upgrade deal; if you can send your LPTE to the Moog factory, we will not only upgrade the memory and install OS 2.00, we will also replace the CV sample-and-hold chips in your LP which are the source of the "high frequency intermodulation" noise that some folks have reported in the LP TE noise thread. This results in a cleaner and clearer sound and better signal-to-noise ratio. We'll do all these upgrades, as well as fully test, calibrate and tune your LP Tribute Edition, for the genuinely-low price of $75 USD.

If you are outside the USA, we can make the chips available at an extremely low price, and work with you to find a qualified technician in your region who can do the upgrades.

Also in the works:
For people who have a Tribute Edition and aren't getting the memory upgraded, for whatever reason, we are also going to release a new OS v1.04 for Tribute Edition only; This OS is basically the same as the current OS 1.03Tc, with the addition of a new "Auto" mode for the EGR Matrix. This new mode addresses the problem with scanning noise in the LPTE filter, caused by scanning the panel buttons in the Envelope section. This noise typically manifests itself as a fixed high-pitch noise that is most audible when playing low bass sounds. The current LPTE operating system has an "EGR MATRIX: ON/OFF" parameter which, when OFF, eliminates this noise, but it also prevents you from using the panel buttons in the Envelope section. Not a good compromise. The new "Auto" mode will allow you to use these panel buttons while still eliminating the scanning noise. This new EGR Matrix "Auto" mode is also included in the v2.00 OS for the Tribute Edition (described above).

Stage Edition circuit boards with blue LEDs - Voltor07 mentioned this; the idea is that one could swap out the Tribute Edition circuit boards for a new set of Stage II boards, with the Tribute Edition lighting colour scheme. Unfortunately, I don't have any new information about this... I was waiting for a price quote from one of our PCB vendors, and I have not heard back about it. I'll shake that tree again today and see if anything falls out.

OK, I think that's everything.... cheers, all!

-Amos

waldorffr

Post by waldorffr » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:41 am

Prime NL wrote:Am i right if you tried to upgrade your Phatty Tribute Edition with the "standard" Phatty Stage 2 firmware..???

If so....you cannot upgrade the Tribute with the Stage 2 firmware as these are 2 different versions.

Your right in installing the LP_T_103b.zip file again....nothing else will work...
You better ask Amos how to get this firmware as Moog took the firmware away from the official site.
TY.
Well I will wait the contact from Amos, but actually he seem busy.
In Fact i need to put the OS 1.03c on my little phatty tribute ltd.
Because it's totally freeze.

Prime NL

Post by Prime NL » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:40 am

waldorffr wrote:In Fact i need to put the OS 1.03c on my little phatty tribute ltd.
Because it's totally freeze.
Yess you are totally right that you have to install 1.03c again iso. 1.03b.

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:35 pm

Hi everyone,

Yes I have been very busy, but one of the things that is keeping me busy is the Little Phatty firmware. :)

waldorffr: I think that this problem can be fixed by you at home; you do not need to send your synth to be repaired.

Here is the basic problem: When the first LP Tribute Edition operating system was written, there was no such thing as the Stage Edition. So, the first Tribute Edition firmware did not contain any protection to prevent you from loading the Stage Edition firmware by mistake! The Stage Edition is different enough that the Stage Edition firmware is not compatible with the Tribute Edition hardware.

Now, in all new Little Phatty firmware, there is a hardware identification, so you can't load Stage firmware to at Tribute Edition, nor Tribute firmware onto a Stage Edition. This protection exists in LP Tribute firmware version 1.03c and above, but it did not exist in the older Tribute Edition firmware. Your Little Phatty must have had the old firmware, for this mistake to be possible.

Now, there is a little problem: The Stage 2.0 firmware does have this protection in place, so it will not allow you to load the correct Tribute firmware, because the unit thinks it is a Stage Edition! This is obviously not good.

I have created a special "fix-it" firmware for this problem. This special firmware will load to a Tribute Edition which has wrong Stage Edition firmware installed, and it will then allow you to load the correct Tribute Edition firmware afterwards. This should fix the problem.

I will contact you via e-mail to send the "fix-it" firmware and instructions.

Kind regards,

Amos Gaynes

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:24 pm

Wow, such great service!!!!

waldorffr

Post by waldorffr » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:45 pm

Amos is the BEST !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The solution was this one

Hello,

Here is the firmware to fix the problem. Even though there is nothing
on the Little Phatty screen, it is probably still "awake."

So, first you should send the file LP_FIX Stage To Tribute. When the
update is complete, the Little Phatty should restart.
It's possible you will still see nothing on the LCD.

Next, send the correct Tribute firmware v1.04 (also attached to this
email). When this is complete, the Little Phatty should be OK.

Please tell me if this works....

bonne chance!

-Amos
AND MY MOOG WORK NOW !!!!!!!
TY everbody, i'm really happy :)

Amos you're the most nice and cool guy i have never meet in my life :)

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:50 am

Aye, Amos did the blue panel lights on my LP Stage I and signed the back for me. Amos truly provides the best support available anywhere. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

beckett

Re: After an update : the wrong update - Blank Screen and Freeze

Post by beckett » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:57 pm

Hello folks, clearly a shot in the dark here, but I reckon i've ended up in the same situation as the original poster...anyone have the fix-it firmware Amos mentioned? :D