Creating mini moog patches on Little Phatty

Everything Phatty.
minimax

Creating mini moog patches on Little Phatty

Post by minimax » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi,

Looking for some advice please. I am trying to create some patches on my LP using the Tom Rhea mini moog patch book. Clearly the LP filter and envelope controls are different. The variable function edit controls do not show any specfic measurement. does anyone know if the filter and EG controls are measured the same as the voyager filter (20 - 10 sec) and Envelope (M-sec.1 to 10sec) or ios itmore like the mini moog? . Also what is LP equivilant of the mini moog emphasis and contour controls?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Happy new year.

stewart

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:28 pm

I love those Thom Rhea books, they just ooze expertise. Except for the switches on the Mini and some of the parameters they should match up.

Now I don't have a phatty or a Mini but it seems to me the most important aspects would be Waves, Filters, Oscs, Noise or LFO rates. Seeing as how you are lacking a third Osc and some switches pertaining to the Mini's functions then you won't get an exact match anyway. I think the less important aspects would be the rate of the filter or volume envelopes.

I woudl try to use the patchbook as a guide, so just use your ears when you don't have exact numbers to go by.

THe Voyager uses a numbering system that is 1-127 that I think is MIDI related rather than related to the panel markings so with that in mind I would line them up via the position of the pots or the labeling.

Now for some reason starting with the mini and on with lots of Moog synths, if they didn't contain a full envelope generator, they called them Contour Generators. Like the Micro has attack and release only for both the filter and the volume. I think they did this perhaps for marketing purposes because when Mini's were sold in music stores they didn't fit in too well having panel controls labeled Modifyers and such. I think the 1ms to 10 sec on the envelope gens are standard. Both my Micro and the Voyager conform to this, so I would guess that the LP and the Mini do too. I could be wrong.

As far as emphasis goes I believe that this is essentially filter resonance. BUT I think its different because resonance on the Voyager is totally different from Emphasis on my Micro. It does have a similar effect but turning the emphisis up on my Micro won't put the filter into oscillatory mode, theres a switch for that. So as far as a Mini and the LP go I honestly can't say. We need Kevin Lightner to chime in on this. Im thinking that the emphasis does either more or less that simple filter resonance. On the 904a Lowpass Filter module, the resonance was listed as Regeneration. So the specifics of the circuitry there elude me.

HOpe this was informative and asccurate lol

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

djthomaswhite

Post by djthomaswhite » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:34 pm

Resonance (most common term) is simply a feedback look and is often also called:

Emphasis
Peak
Feedback
Regeneration
Resonance

By having this feedback loop in the circuit, the frequency control sweeps the point at which it is most evident to our ears. Looking at any filter contour diagram helps to explain this. The normal lowpass response curve start with a flat line on the left and dives off downward at the point of the frequency control setting when going to the right. Adding resonance creates a speedbump right before the downward sloping cut off slope. The more resonance, the bigger and "sharper" the speedbump. (Look at the diagram by the Filter knob on the LP).

Self oscillation is where the resonance it is so high it begins to oscillate on it's own. Very much like a microphone too close to a speaker. With careful control of volume you can test this out by making a feedback loop on your own with a mic and speaker to test the concept, but make extra sure your speaker volume is turned down to prevent blowing your hearing, speakers, or marriage out of the water with volume overload.

Hope this helps. I'm no scientist obviously, but I have what I think is a good idea about the concepts above. Please correct me if I am wrong,

Thomas

minimax

Post by minimax » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:50 pm

Guys,

Thanks for your helpful comments. I have been using my minimax ASB to compare and develop the sounds on my LP.

Thanks again

Stewart