Help! Data Error

Everything Phatty.
Matt Friedman

Help! Data Error

Post by Matt Friedman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:10 pm

I just got my Little Phatty 2 this morning.

I played around with it for a while and then decided to use it to record a lead and a bass in a track I've been working on. I connected it to my workstation [Fantom X6] MIDI out, through my JX8P, setting the LP's receive channel to 14. I had no MIDI problems, and recorded the sequence perfectly well.

I then had to go out, and powered down the LP. When I cam back, I powered it up again, and got this error message:

SEND_FIRMWARE SX
Data error 3

Needless to say, the synth is completely unresponsive. What should I do?
A Perfect Vacuum: http://www.myspace.com/aperfectvacuum
The Plateau Phase: http://www.myspace.com/plateauphase

Maskin

Post by Maskin » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:04 pm

Did you unplugged the MIDI-cable before you turned the Little Phatty on?
If not, turn it off, remove the MIDI-cable and turn it on again.
[size=75]"I like to play with electronic noise makers. I hope someone wants to listen, and if not, I'll still be up at 3 am making sequences in the dark, drinking coffee, and burning expensive incense." [i]Rod Modell[/i][/size]

Matt Friedman

Post by Matt Friedman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Problem solved. Amos Gaynes at Moog tech support was an IMMENSE help. Patient and knowledgeable. For years, I've been wondering where the good tech support guys are. Now I know.

T7

Post by T7 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:37 pm

Matt Friedman wrote:Problem solved. Amos Gaynes at Moog tech support was an IMMENSE help. Patient and knowledgeable. For years, I've been wondering where the good tech support guys are. Now I know.
Did you call Moog support? I'm not getting any response via email?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:31 pm

Matt Friedman wrote:Problem solved. Amos Gaynes at Moog tech support was an IMMENSE help. Patient and knowledgeable. For years, I've been wondering where the good tech support guys are. Now I know.
Amos is the best once you get a hold of him. Which I've never had trouble with. T7, you should try calling at the factory. I know they have a toll free number. Are you in the States?
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Matt Friedman

Post by Matt Friedman » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:43 pm

T7 wrote:Did you call Moog support? I'm not getting any response via email?
Yes, I called. I'm traveling tomorrow, so I can't really wait. There's a number at the bottom of the pages at the main Moog Music site.

T7

Post by T7 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:45 pm

Voltor07 wrote:T7, you should try calling at the factory. I know they have a toll free number. Are you in the States?
Yeah, I'm in the States. I work 8-5pm PST weekdays, so email works best for me. It looks like I may need to make time to call.

djrisc

Post by djrisc » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:25 am

What was the solution that support gave you? I just got this same error on mine as well.

I booted past it by holding down 'Master' when turning power on, and did a factory reset, which fixed the bizarre behavior. I'm assuming that this happened by midi data being sent to the synth that changed a value to something that wasn't acceptable. Now I just need to know how to get rid of the "SEND_FIRMWARE SX" message everytime I boot up the synth, I can hold 'Master' to just get past it every time, but it's very annoying.

Thanks!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:51 am

Unplug any MIDI cables before turning on the synth. If it still acts funny, I dunno what's going on. :?

Make sure all MIDI cables are disconnected at all times before powering up the LP. And enjoy the rest of your day at Six Flags. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

djrisc

Post by djrisc » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:59 am

Yeah I unplugged all cables (other than power) when booting it up. The phatty works file it just displays this message if I don't hold down 'Master' while booting:

SEND_FIRMWARE SX
DATA ERROR 3

So I'm assuming a flag is set somewhere that needs to be reset.

I bought the Stage II directly, is there a place where I can download the OS 2 and just try reinstalling the firmware? I can't seem to find it anywhere for download.

Thanks for the help, and the quick response.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:56 am

djrisc wrote: I bought the Stage II directly, is there a place where I can download the OS 2 and just try reinstalling the firmware? I can't seem to find it anywhere for download.

Thanks for the help, and the quick response.
Strange...E-mail Amos and have him send you the OS. He may also know how you can fix the problem without reloading OS 2.00. Will it allow for a factory reset? If so, try that.

I'm good for quick responses, BTW. Infamous for it, in fact! :lol:

Matt Friedman

Post by Matt Friedman » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:30 am

Tech support sent me the latest version of the firmware by e-mail and I sent it to the LP using MIDI-OX. IT was a simple enough fix once we got to that point. Just give them a call or e-mail... Though I doubt you'll get someone today.

djrisc

Post by djrisc » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:52 pm

They were in the office today in fact.

I have to say, what great customer service!

They are investigating this issue further, for the moment I have a workaround that works fine.

Thanks again for the quick responses to everyone in the forums, and the awesome customer care from Moog! You can definetly tell that they really care about their products and their customers.

Brett

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:54 am

djrisc wrote: You can definetly tell that they really care about their products and their customers.

Brett
That they do! Best support in the industry! :mrgreen:

nextaz

Post by nextaz » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:54 pm

hello everybody

unfortunetly i have the same problem but i have "SEND_FIRMWARE SX DATA ERROR 4" on start.

I turn on LP only with pressing master MASTER..

So what is that workaround? Loading firwmare again(anyway i dont have it)?

anybody - PLEASE HELP

nextaz